Naked in Death by J. D. Robb

Naked in Death (1995)

by J. D. Robb (Author), Susan Ericksen (Narrator)

Series: In Death (1)

4,6982261,966 (3.92)1 / 434
Three young women have been brutally murdered. After 10 years on the New York City police force, Lieutenant Eve Dallas knows better than to become emotionally involved with her work. But the prime suspect is a suave, sophisticated Irish billionaire with a mysterious past and she finds herself powerless to resist his charm.… (more)
Member:MikeFinnFiction
Title:Naked in Death
Authors:J. D. Robb (Author)
Other authors:Susan Ericksen (Narrator)
Info:Brilliance Audio
Tags:audiobook, crime, crime-series, 1-in-a-series, 20th Century, speculative-fiction, speculative-fiction-series, DNF, read

Work Information

Naked in Death by J. D. Robb (1995)

Cry Wolf by Patricia Briggs (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: Yes, yes; one is an urban fantasy werewolf novel and the other a futurist police procedural/romance, but both of them have intensely character-driven protagonists whose relationships bind their series' together and evolve with each new book published.
    Timecaster by Joe Kimball (Scottneumann)
    Whiskey Sour by J.A. Konrath (Scottneumann)
    The Rule of Luck by Catherine Cerveny (Litrvixen)
    Her Last Goodbye by Melinda Leigh (Headinherbooks_27)

English (223)  Dutch (2)  All languages (225)
This is the bookclub book from Karen for May 28, 2020 bookclub which may be on Zoom bc of the Covid-19 virus. Some wanted to meet in person at Karen’s house. But we’ll see... ( )
  PatLibrary123 | Aug 9, 2022 |
Good light reading. The mystery didn't really catch my attention, and the characters were a bit predictable. ( )
  Rebecca.Austin | Jul 11, 2022 |
So, here I am, writing a review for the first book in the phenomenally successful forty-book 'In Death' series written by a much-loved author, and I've abandoned the book a quarter of the way through. Talk about cognitive dissonance.

The last time I felt this way, a client had taken me and my team to their favourite Argentinian steakhouse. It was the kind of place where the seats were covered in cowhide and the servers told you how long the cow carcass has been 'ageing' on a hook and explained that every steak was freshly cut from the carcass just before it hit the pan. It was meat-eater heaven and everyone was enjoying their food except me. I'm a vegetarian so not only was there not much for me to eat but I spent the first half-hour wondering how my fellow diners lived with the overpowering smell of fresh blood and bubbling fat that I could feel tainting my clothes.

'Naked In Death' started out as a fun read in a hard-boiled way. It had a no-nonsense, fast-paced start that quickly established the character of the main detective, Eve Dallas. The world-building of New York City in 2058 (as imagined in 1995) was deftly done. Only the flying cars felt dated.

But, even from the start, something about the novel felt off to me. There was an undertone of sleaze that was as welcome as the feel of a sticky hotel room carpet under my naked feet.

As I got further into the novel, I could see that it was going to have a clever plot, a high body count and a well-thought-through setting. I could also see that I really wasn't going to have a good time with this book because I didn't like what it set out to be. It seemed to me to be a power exchange romance novel dressed as an SF mystery. Not my sort of thing.

Rourke, the billionaire who can't afford a first name, didn't do anything for me. His faux Irish (I'll keep the sexy accent and the twinkly eyes and lose the immigrant heritage) charm just made me wonder what he was really up to. As he was a billionaire, I assumed it would be something sociopathic or narcissistic.

Still, it wasn't Rourke who put me off the novel, it was Eve Dallas. Almost everything about her annoyed me. She was constantly and pointlessly aggressive. Her analytical ability seemed weak. Her interrogation technique was all muscle and no brain. She lept to conclusions that ran far ahead of the data. She tried to solve a crime that the killer has told her is the first of six by looking at who had a motive for the first killing. Yeah, that's going to work. And then she gets distracted by tall, dark and kinda-Irish because he serves great coffee on his private jet which has her closing her eyes and licking her lips with pleasure. Sheesh. We hadn't even gotten to the passionate I just can't control myself with you sex scenes that I could see were inevitable and I already wanted to wash my hands.

Dallas' attraction to Rourke was a predictable cliché. That Rourke found Dallas intriguing seemed less plausible to me than the flying cars.

I abandoned the book at twenty-five per cent not because it was poorly written but because I didn't want to spend the rest of the book with my lip curled into a sneer as I kept count of all the things Dallas said, did and was, that annoyed me.

So, I decided to stop being the vegetarian in a steakhouse and move on to something that I have an appetite for.
  MikeFinnFiction | Jul 2, 2022 |
Long-time readers know I adore Nora Roberts and will gleefully read anything she publishes. Despite my love for her, I always avoided her In Death series because I didn’t want to have to tackle the 50+ novels in that series in addition to everything else I want to read. Still, I tasked myself with listening to my long audiobook list in order of publication date, and it just so happens that my husband had downloaded the first book in the series. So, I started Naked in Death, not knowing what to expect. I finished it in a day and immediately listened to books two, three, and four in short succession. Yeah, I’m a fan, and I cannot wait to get back to the series. First of all, I love the tone of this series. Not only is it darker and grittier than the novels she writes under her name, but there is also a rawness to Eve and Roarke that I adore. Everything about the series has an edge, from the characters to the world itself. Sure, it has fancy technology and gadgets, but there is something broken in Eve’s world that draws you to her. Only my self-control is preventing me from using my extra credits from downloading as much of the series as I can get and devouring them all. ( )
  jmchshannon | Jun 25, 2022 |
This story begins with Eve - Lieutenant Eve Dallas of the NYPSD - dealing with the aftermath of a case when she killed an addict just after the addict has sliced up and murdered a three-year-old child. Before she can go into Testing, she's called in for a Code Five case.

Licensed Companion Sharon DeBlass has been murdered with an illegal firearm. This is a political hot potato because her grandfather is Senator DeBlass. The Senator is a strong right-wing conservative against legal prostitution, the gun ban, professional mothers and all sorts of other realities in the United States in 2058. He also has a great deal of influence with her superiors in the NYPSD.

As Eve begins to investigate, with the help of her former partner Ryan Feeney, she learns that one of the last people to see Sharon was Roarke. Roarke is a mysterious billionaire with no first name and no past that anyone can find. She certainly doesn't expect to be powerfully attracted to the mysterious Roarke. And he wasn't looking for her either.

When Sharon's death is only the first with two more following - also licensed companions but not having anything else in common - Eve along with an assist by Roarke has to find out why someone wanted them all dead and stop him before he kills again.

I liked the way the worldbuilding was woven into the story without long info-dumps. I liked the way the characters were introduced with just enough information to begin to get to know them. I loved the beginning of the romance between Eve and Roarke who were remarkably alike despite outward appearances. ( )
  kmartin802 | May 29, 2022 |

What's past is prologue. --William Shakespeare

Violence is as American as cherry pie. --Rap (Hubert Gerold) Brown
She woke in the dark.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,665,056 books! | Top bar: Always visible