Naked in Death (In Death, Book 1) by J. D.…

Naked in Death (In Death, Book 1) (original 1995; edition 1995)

by J. D. Robb (Author)

Series: In Death (1)

4,5702211,942 (3.93)1 / 427
Three young women have been brutally murdered. After 10 years on the New York City police force, Lieutenant Eve Dallas knows better than to become emotionally involved with her work. But the prime suspect is a suave, sophisticated Irish billionaire with a mysterious past and she finds herself powerless to resist his charm.… (more)
Member:wrenne
Title:Naked in Death (In Death, Book 1)
Authors:J. D. Robb (Author)
Info:Berkley (1995), Edition: 20th ptg., 320 pages

Work Information

Naked in Death by J. D. Robb (1995)

Recently added byerinR, Kittyfoil, private library, kit3399, Hemamayigowda, horrorbookstore, Arina7000
    Timecaster by Joe Kimball (Scottneumann)
    Whiskey Sour by J. A. Konrath (Scottneumann)
    Cry Wolf by Patricia Briggs (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: Yes, yes; one is an urban fantasy werewolf novel and the other a futurist police procedural/romance, but both of them have intensely character-driven protagonists whose relationships bind their series' together and evolve with each new book published.
    Her Last Goodbye by Melinda Leigh (Headinherbooks_27)

English (218)  Dutch (2)  All languages (220)
I was actually pretty surprised by this book, I really am not a romance fan and expected to hate the book but so many people recommended that I try it and wow it was a lot of romance and sex. I wouldn't say it was good SF but it was a decent mystery. ( )
  kevn57 | Dec 8, 2021 |
3.5 stars probably but really good star to a series I've been meaning to check out for a while.

I find this series to be very intimidating. I mean, there are 53 books to get through. That's more than a year of reading if you do one a week. However, now that I have read the first one, and it only took me two days, I really want to read book two.

I really enjoy mystery/thriller romances. I tend to like a bit more plot with my romance and this sub-genre definitely delivers on that front. I've never actually read anything by Nora Roberts before. I actually checked out one of her books from the library the summer after my freshman year of high school but my mom did not want to me to read it and hid it in our house until she could bring it back to the library. I didn't really grow up in a romance-friendly environment. I was very excited to finally read something by her and this was a great introduction for me.

I really liked the character of Eve. I like my female leads in romantic thrillers to be emotionally damaged and very competent and Eve fits that mold perfectly. Roarke is also a really great love interest. Definitely the mysterious and domineering type, so if that's not for you maybe stay away from this, but it's a character I really like in romance. This romance definitely felt a bit quick to me, mostly because most of this book is spent on the mystery, which I actually like but did mean the romance was crammed into less time. Like, all the sudden Roarke was like "I know I love you" and I was like "when did that happen?!?" There were also some times where character backstories, particularly Eve's, were delivered in ways that were comically transparent as just catching up the readers but generally I really liked how the characters were developed and presented.

The mystery is also very strong in this. I tend to give romantic thrillers more of a pass if the mystery doesn't quite add up compared to plain thrillers because I read it more to see the relationship and people being put in danger while they're falling in love but the mystery really does stand on it's own here. Well, at least it does to me, I'm pretty easy to please. The mystery handles some pretty hard hitting topics. There are moments where you can see this stories age a bit in the language or style but I thought it mostly held up. The mystery is also how we get a lot of the near future world building, which I found to be very interesting. It's clear Roberts put a lot of thought into the world, even though the details are mostly just in the background.

As soon as I finished this, I put book two on hold. I really like this and I'm very glad I finally tried this series. I don't know how quickly I'll get through the rest of this series, it's very long as we know, but I definitely will be continuing and hopefully I'll enjoy the next book two. ( )
  AKBouterse | Oct 14, 2021 |
I love the entire In Death series, but this one holds a special place since it is the first meeting of Eve and Roarke. Great introduction to a long running series. This is the third time I've read this book. ( )
  ftbooklover | Oct 12, 2021 |
Robb's way of writing in this book is exactly the type of writing that appeals to me. Third person. Descriptions and feelings and interactions all seemlessly woven together. A story, and a mature one at that.

Eve is a tired yet dedicated and passionate badass, top-tier cop. She's not gorgeous. She's tall, somewhat skinny, small-breasted, and cuts her own hair at her own risk. She's smart and good at her job. She believes in justice. I love her character.

While the romance in this book was steamy and well-intergrated into the plot, I do agree with some other reviewers that it did happen very quickly. The attraction between Eve and Roarke is instantly scorching, and while it is nice to have a man lead honestly peruse the heroine with open feelings, Roarke did display some stereotypical, alpha male demanding and stalking tendencies at the start. But what I found really interesting was how their relationship went from there. It went deeper. And I believe that really redeemed it for me.

Trigger Warnings for the Book: mature language, murder, rape, child abuse, incest, suicide ( )
  sraazad | Jul 1, 2021 |

What's past is prologue. --William Shakespeare

Violence is as American as cherry pie. --Rap (Hubert Gerold) Brown
She woke in the dark.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,966,657 books! | Top bar: Always visible