Night Boat to Tangier

by Kevin Barry

'A true wonder' Max Porter'A blackly comic journey into the abyss' Guardian'Read this wonder of a novel' Jon McGregor'A masterpiece delivered by a glittering talent at the peak of his powers' Big Issue It's late one night at the Spanish port of Algeciras and two fading Irish gangsters are waiting on the boat from Tangier. A lover has been lost, a daughter has gone missing, their world has come asunder - can it be put together again?Night Boat to Tangier is a novel drenched in sex and death and narcotics, in sudden violence and old magic. But above all, it is a book obsessed with the mysteries of love. A tragicomic masterwork from the award-winning Kevin Barry, Night Boat to Tangier is a work of melancholy beauty, wit and lyrical brilliance.… (more)

The prose is really quite good. The story could be a little bit difficult to follow at times, but it all seem to come together and make sense at the end. ( )
  geoff79 | Jul 11, 2021 |
While waiting for his daughter (Dilly) in the Spanish port of Algeciras, Irishmen Maurice Hearne, and his longtime buddy, Charlie Redmond, reflect on the highs and lows of their nefarious pasts together. Women, drugs, alcohol, and occasional violence are their hallmarks. A lot of banter back and forth while the two menace others around the port, hoping to find Dilly. A lot of colloquial language, and the story was hard to follow as the two recalled stories, many of which were incomplete or the reader would suddenly be thrown back in time where the story was typically complete. Not for me. ( )
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |
Audiobook. Maurice Hearne and Charlie Redmond are not the kinds of guys I would normally choose to spend time with -- in life or in a novel -- but Kevin Barry animates his characters so delightfully that I stuck with them nonetheless. Some beautiful writing and hilarious moments, but still fairly grim. ( )
  CaitlinMcC | Jul 11, 2021 |
This was one where I liked all the ingredients but not always their combination. Overall, enjoyed the style of prose (especially as narrated gritty Irish accent) and the cinematic quality throughout. ( )
  albertgoldfain | Jun 13, 2021 |
In "Night Boat to Tangier" we encounter Maurice and Charlie, middle-aged Irish gangsters who together keep a vigil at the port in Algeciras, on the Mediterranean coast of Spain. Hard by the Rock of Gibraltar, in fact. Whenever a ferry unloads its passengers from Morocco, they go through the crowd, haranguing the tired-looking people for any news of Maurice’s 23 year-old daughter Dilly. They pass out photographs, or they try to, since most passengers want nothing to do with them or the pictures. The two men are fatigued themselves, with physical ailments, and emotionally less than stable.

The story covers salient points in their histories together, through their heyday of smuggling Moroccan hash and heroin through Spain into Europe, and in particular, to their native County Cork, Ireland. They manage somehow to stay alive and un-incarcerated through their various adventures, from renting powerful boats and their crews, to Charlie’s affair with Cynthia, Maurice’s wife, to winding up in the same room in a mental institution. The courtly, formal way they speak to one another is the result of long years of familiarity, derring do, and just personal history. We are treated to this highly economical language throughout Barry’s novel; it is part Irish patois, part a criminal shorthand, and it lets us in on the intimacy of the relationship these two share.

Less clear, though, are the reason for some of the plot’s activities. We can accept that Dilly at last arrives in Algeciras, but she then confuses us by turning right around and boarding the next boat back to Tangier. We are not privy to any transactions she might have executed, except to skulk past the two gentlemen, if they may be so called, and decide to pass right by them undetected.

I think it’s more the metaphor in the title. The two aging gangsters are stuck, through a combination of hard experience and a shying away from any more of the same, from making any more crossings. The unique, economical diction makes this book a great treat to read; beautifully does Barry yoke his idiom to his serve his plot. In the end, however, I feel as though the novel adds up to less than the sum if its parts. ( )
  LukeS | Mar 2, 2021 |
'In Spain, the dead are more alive than the dead of any other country in the world.'

Frederico García Lorca
For Olivia
Would you say there's any end in sight, Charlie?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,312,350 books! | Top bar: Always visible