False value by Ben Aaronovitch

False value (edition 2020)

by Ben Aaronovitch

Series: Rivers of London (8)

Peter Grant is facing fatherhood, and an uncertain future, with equal amounts of panic and enthusiasm. Rather than sit around, he takes a job with a Silicon Valley tech genius Terrence Skinner's brand new London start up - the Serious Cybernetics Company. Drawn into the orbit of Old Street's famous 'silicon roundabout', Peter must learn how to blend in with people who are both civilians and geekier than he is. Compared to his last job, Peter thinks it should be a doddle. But magic is not finished with Mama Grant's favourite son. Because Terrence Skinner has a secret hidden in the bowels of the SCC. A technology that stretches back to Ada Lovelace and Charles Babbage, and forward to the future of artificial intelligence. A secret that is just as magical as it technological - and just as dangerous.… (more)
Member:bug_girl
Title:False value
Authors:Ben Aaronovitch
Info:New York, NY : DAW Books, Inc., [2020]
Rating:*****

False Value by Ben Aaronovitch

This is not the strongest story, with the back and forth time line and complicated plot. Still, it’s good to visit with the crew again.
  2wonderY | May 16, 2021 |
Peter Grant is now an undercover cop in a high tech software firm, with a secret set of floors where there's a secret project. As the plot develops, it seems that there might be some kind of Babbage/Lovelace difference engine controlling that various different factions are desperate to get hold of, which might or might not be connected to the secret project.

As always, the plot is complex and occasionally difficult to follow, but this novel for me was one of my favourites because of the heavy tech theme, focusing a lot on artificial intelligence, with lots of references to Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, and other geek themes, and also lots of action. Very enjoyable. ( )
  RachDan | May 3, 2021 |
Peter Grant investigates goings on at an IT start up in London.

I found the first part of this rather confusing due to the frequent flashbacks (even though the timeline is clearly marked in the chapter headings). Once I got past that, however, it was all good fun in the usual way. I'm not a great fan of criminal masterminds/supervillains, so I am a bit concerned that we are being set up for that in future books. ( )
  Robertgreaves | Apr 15, 2021 |
maybe the best of the series so far, with so much wordplay, humour, and referencing of pop and geek culture. i waited so long for this, and it's such a fast read, that's the only trouble with this addictive series: he can't possibly write fast enough to suit me. ( )
  macha | Feb 7, 2021 |
Plus maybe half a star. Got me a bit confused at times and there are a lot of characters to keep track of. A great escape in these Covid times. Happy to read anything the author cares to write. ( )
  Ma_Washigeri | Jan 23, 2021 |

Ben Aaronovitchprimary authorall editionscalculated
Knowles, PatrickCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walters, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

This book is dedicated to all those cubicle dwellers who, in all their vast and multifaceted variety, labour thanklessly under the lash of insensate management to ensure that all the vital things in our lives do the things we expect them to do or, at the very least, don't spontaneously explode at an awkward moment.
My final interview at the Serious Cybernetics Corporation was with the company's head of security himself – Tyrel Johnson.

GenreThing

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,375,676 books! | Top bar: Always visible