Christmas Shopaholic: A Novel by Sophie…

Christmas Shopaholic: A Novel (edition 2019)

by Sophie Kinsella (Author)

New York Times-bestselling author Kinsella returns with a festive new Shopaholic adventure filled with holiday cheer and unexpected gifts.
Member:Twink
Title:Christmas Shopaholic: A Novel
Authors:Sophie Kinsella (Author)
Info:The Dial Press (2019), 448 pages
Rating:*****

Christmas Shopaholic: A Novel by Sophie Kinsella

Christmas seems to have crept up on me this year and I know I need to get started on my shopping. But, the ninth book - Christmas Shopaholic - in Sophie Kinsella's Shopaholic series is here! And surely a book about shopping and Christmas could inspire me - right?

Those of you familiar to the series will be happy to hear that this latest is a return to the 'old Becky' if you will. (I must admit that the last two books that took Becky to the US fell flat for me.)

Becky's love of shopping has not lessened. Or the predicaments she gets herself into. (And these are so much fun!) All of it is done with the best of intentions of course. But the pressure is on this year - Becky will be hosting the family Christmas.

It takes a bit to make me laugh out loud at a book, but Kinsella had me giggling many, many times throughout Christmas Shopaholic. Just what I needed! Just beneath that humour are some truths as well - family, friends and what is truly important.

I enjoyed catching up with Becky and all of the supporting players. I feel like I've come to know them all and hearing what they're up to is like catching up with old friends.

This latest was perfect reading for the season. The door has been left open for the tenth entry in Becky Brandon, nee Bloomwood's life. I look forward to it! ( )
  Twink | Dec 2, 2019 |
A special thank you to NetGalley and Random House for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Becky Brandon (née Bloomwood) is back in a holiday installment of the Shopaholic series and there's nothing she loves more than Christmas! Well, not including a good sale...or online shopping.

It is the most wonderful time of the year. Her mum and dad always host and there's carols playing, the neighbours coming over for some cheer, Christmas pudding, and of course, presents.

Only this year, Becky's parents are moving and have asked her to host. What could possibly go wrong? Well for starters, her sister Jess needs to have a vegan turkey. How hard can that be to find? And Minnie is asking for a picnic hamper. She can definitely find one online. But Luke only wants aftershave, how boring. Where is his Christmas spirit? Then the guest list, and their demands, start spiralling out of control. And to top it all off, an old boyfriend surfaces along with his pushy girlfriend and it is not exactly clear as to what their motives are.

Will Becky be able to deck the halls and pull off Christmas?

Readers of my blog will know how much I ADORE Sophie Kinsella so it will come as no surprise that I was thrilled to receive an advanced copy of the newest Shopaholic book! Her writing makes me smile and if you haven't listened to a Sophie Kinsella audiobook, I highly recommend it, especially if narrated by Jayne Entwistle.

I love how Kinsella capitalizes on the chaos of Christmas. She juxtaposes the frenzy of the season against the time-honoured festivities. We all have our traditions and there are certainly times where I question some of the things I bring upon myself in the spirit of Christmas. It's totally worth it, right?

These books always border on being a little over the top, but they are so engaging and entertaining. Becky tugs on my heartstrings—she is endearing, fun, and hilarious (even when she's trying to be serious). We could all use more Becky in our lives.

This book is sparkly, festive, and simply delightful. A must holiday read. ( )
  GirlWellRead | Nov 20, 2019 |
"Christmas Shopaholic" is the first in the series that I have read, but definitely not the last. The key word here is "humor." Becky embarks upon her Christmas shopping plans in good faith, with an organizer diary and lots of ideas. When her quirky family nominates her to host Christmas, Becky is thrown into an additional whirlwind of activity and quests for the best of everything. Her family bombards her with too many ideas, and Becky tries to be the good hostess and fulfill all their wishes. As in real life, the best of intentions seem to go awry. Throw in a job, a Christmas play, little kids, an old flame, and assorted unusual characters, and you have the life of a Shopaholic..

Readers are sure to find this light hearted tale a welcome break from the hectic holiday season. I recommend a cup of hot cocoa, a warm fuzzy blanket, and a comfortable seat. Get ready to laugh and cry with Becky as she attempts to perfect an outstanding Christmas for her family. Prepare for a surprise ending too.

I received this book from the publisher and from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. The opinions expressed here are entirely my own. ( )
  LadyoftheLodge | Nov 17, 2019 |
If you only read one Christmas themed book this year, make it this this one!
The thrill of internet items ordered arriving at the door....the individual family members and the idiosynchroties of each..... STRESS-most often self-induced, and most importantly.....love.

Kinsella has written a hilarious story that had my laughter shaking the bed at night. ( husband rolled over several times to check if i was ok. ( don't try to stifle laughter---it causes major rumbliing )
If i had the money i would gift this book to all my bookie pals! ( )
  linda.marsheells | Oct 29, 2019 |
What a fun book! I've always enjoyed the Shopaholic series but hadn't found time to read the last couple of books. I won an ARC from Goodreads and was laughing out loud at Becky Brandon nee Bloomwood's attempts to plan the perfect Christmas for her family and friends. It was funny, sweet and heartwarming and while Becky is definitely over the top most people will be able to relate to her desire to keep everybody happy during the holidays. A perfect light and fun read for the holiday season. ( )
  susan.h.schofield | Oct 20, 2019 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 140,160,024 books! | Top bar: Always visible