Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

Strange Days

by Sharon Mikeworth

214,169,231 (4)None
Recently added bycaseyjessa, Samkwrth

No tags

I ended up really loving this book, it starts to lag around 20% and become quite monotonous, but don't give up because it does pick up. This is a realistic account of what might happen if an extremely deadly flu epidemic hit the population. Because it is so realistic, there are definitely some more depressing moments, but I love that the main character seems to always hope for more at the end of the day. I found myself thinking about whether I, too, could maintain such hope in such a despairing situation. It has a great ending and some moments of surprise. If you like this genre and find the excerpt compelling I don't think you would be disappointed in picking this book up.

***I received this book for free from Librarything. This in no way influenced my opinion of the book. Thank you to the author and Library thing for providing me a copy of this book*** ( )
  caseyjessa | Dec 8, 2019 |
"A fresh angle on apocalyptic fiction. Skye is a fascinating and complex character, and in this premise of a rapidly emptying world, it is essential to have a unique protagonist at the center driving the story forward. Mikeworth’s insight into human nature is visceral, particularly for readers who have struggled with solitude, trauma and loss. Strange Days works to remind readers of their humanity, and humility, and perhaps spark greater appreciation for all that they already have, and all that they take for granted." —SPR

Skye Cassidy has just celebrated her twenty-first birthday when a deadly flu-like illness begins sweeping across the country. Before long the hospitals are overwhelmed and entire areas have been quarantined. Soon after that, the utilities fail and gas and food become scarce as the sickness reaches epidemic proportions, causing the critical infrastructures to collapse and transportation to grind to a halt.

Skye continues to live while people around her fall victim to the mysterious illness, and struggles to adapt to her increasingly lonely existence. Finally, in desperation, she sets out on a journey, following the faint sound of a faraway voice on the radio.

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Sharon Mikeworth's book Strange Days was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Sharon Mikeworth is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,762,767 books! | Top bar: Always visible