Twist of Fate

by Deanna King

7None2,005,215 (2)4
Introducing Jack West, a hard-nosed, relentless homicide detective, who sifts through some of Houston's filthiest secrets to solve a murder involving prostitution, executions and corruption at the highest levels. Solving the homicide of a 15-year-old girl who was fatally bludgeoned by a 17-year-old boy, Homicide Detective Jack West and his partner Dawson Luck, known around the station as 'Lucky' are putting fresh eyes on two ancient cold cases. In an affluent Houston neighborhood, a call goes out reporting a murder/suicide. The new case takes precedence. Jack and Lucky wrap this case up in record time, and they are back on the cold cases. As Jack begins to dig, he hears a bizarre tale from a dying ex-prostitute that is unbelievable; digging deeper, Jack unravels truths about cops on the take, executions, prostitution, conspiracy to cover up a murder involving a high ranking official and revenge.… (more)

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I have to say, rarely do I not finish a book. However, I just CANNOT finish this one.

The story is so convoluted and jumps around so much that it's hard to follow. I think I finally got to a part where it's only in the present, but I'm really not sure. None of the characters are engaging. The two main characters, at least I think they're the main characters, are pretty well-developed in a shallow kind of way. Meaning, they're the ones you have the most information on. I think that's only because they take up so much of the story line and so the author gave them a little more depth than the rest of the characters. However, it's a superficial depth.

Parts of the story were interesting, but the majority of it just wasn't good enough to grab me and pull me in. It was starting to feel like a chore to read it.

When you add all of the above with the poor editing, it's just not something I can bring myself to waste more time than I already have on. I gave it 2 stars instead of 1 for the parts that were interesting. ( )
  808anela | Sep 4, 2019 |

Belongs to Series

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Deanna King's book Twist of Fate was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,099,347 books! | Top bar: Always visible