The New Kid on the Block by Jack Prelutsky

The New Kid on the Block (original 1984; edition 2007)

by Jack Prelutsky (Author), James Stevenson (Illustrator)

Member:UUFM-Library
Title:The New Kid on the Block
Authors:Jack Prelutsky (Author)
Other authors:James Stevenson (Illustrator)
Info:Greenwillow Books (1984), Edition: 1st, 160 pages
Tags:Poetry

The New Kid on the Block by Jack Prelutsky (1984)

Recently added byprivate library, dizfam, rkcraig88, KelseyBohren, dallasmomma, Avasara, melendezc, danibeers, kpresley

Poems about things that you may never have thought about before. Poems about strange creatures and people--from jellyfish stew to a bouncing mouse, and a boneless chicken.

Super fun poetry for anyone! I was laughing throughout this entire book! I think this would be a fun way to introduce poetry to a classroom! ( )
  KailiMarion | Dec 10, 2018 |
This book is a collection of poems. These poems all vary in length. The poems in the book are a great tool to use while teaching rhyme and rhythm. They could also be useful for read-alouds and teaching inntonation and how tone is important. These poems are easy to read and funny. ( )
  AveryLong | Sep 16, 2018 |
Child friendly poems that seemed to verge on Shel Silverstein's style. The poems were fun and great for kids (sort of). They all started to sound similar and done in the same style, but maybe that's just the "adult reader" coming out of me. I would recommend this for younger readers because they do have some cute poems in here that can be used for a teaching moment. None of them were a "wow" factor, but I guess we need mediocre poems in our lives too. ( )
  aquinn | Apr 23, 2018 |
Well done poems in the same vein as Shel (Where the Sidewalk Ends). I had to knock it down a point because they all started to sound the same. Too many done in the same style with the same meter and rhyme scheme. The voice was too familiar. Shel seems to have a better variety in his books with many more random lengths included.

But it wasn't enough to knock it completely down. If I find the book on sale I would buy it and I gladly take it for free and read poems from it here and there. My kids enjoyed reading poems outloud while we were driving. In fact, I got the book because my son loves it and in the past has read me selections. So, for sure a hit with the kids. ( )
  Katrinia17 | Dec 30, 2017 |
"The New Kid on the Block" is a funny and exciting collection of poems that talk about strange and hilarious things that you can only imagine. This is a great read to introduce students to being creative and using their imagination. An activity for this book would be to have them write their own silly poem about a crazy and wacky creation that they think of. The can also create an illustration of their creation to show how they really see it in their minds. ( )
  chad.erickson | Apr 23, 2017 |

Jack Prelutskyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Stevenson, JamesIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Susan Hirschman
-20 years-
There's a new kid on the block,
And boy, that kid is tough...
Homework, oh homework/ I hate you, you stink!

These are great silly poems that children enjoy. I remember reading these when I was a child.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0688022715, Hardcover)

This exuberant valise of verse bulges with more than 100 poems about things you've never thought about, such as Underwater Wibbles who dine exclusively on cheese, and things you probably have thought about, such as sneezing oysters and the dot-gobbling Flotz. Jack Prelutsky, one of the premier children's poets of our time, manages to be deadpan and goofy simultaneously and in perfect rhythm right up to the pleasantly unpredictable punch lines of his poems.

Take "Jellyfish Stew." "You're soggy, you're smelly, / you taste like shampoo, / you bog down my belly / with oodles of goo, / yet I would glue noodles / and prunes to my shoe, / for one oozy spoonful / of jellyfish stew." Poems about greedy grannies, exploding Bloders, and hypothetical situations such as having your nose unfortunately situated between your toes are guaranteed to delight you and your favorite kids. Quirky, surprising, and always delightful, Prelutsky's poems make us wish we'd grown up with his books in hand. Illustrator James Stevenson's loose pen-and-ink sketches are lively and fluid, waltzing along perfectly with Prelutsky's playful poetry. Once you and your children have howled your way through this ALA Notable Book, you'll be happy to discover that this talented pair has created two other meaty collections, including Something BIG Has Been Here and A Pizza the Size of the Sun. (Ages 4 to 12)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:26:19 -0400)

Humorous poems about such strange creatures and people as Baloney Belly Billy and the Gloopy Gloopers.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,488,602 books! | Top bar: Always visible