Quincredible Vol. 1: Quest to Be the Best! (2019)

by Rodney Barnes

Series: Quincredible (Vol. 1 (1-5))

Invulnerability is a pretty useless superpower if you've only got a one-hundred pound frame to back it up. That's what Quinton West's life became when he went from small guy who got beat up to small guy who can't get hurt after the meteor shower dubbed "The Event" gifted him the power of invulnerability but no other powers to compliment it.   But there's more to Quin than meets the eye, and after some encouragement from his new mentor--a local New Orleans-based superhero named Glow--Quin realizes that he can use his quirky hobby of creating Rube Goldberg devices to outsmart the opposition. But being a hero paints a target on your back, and Quin's got to risk it all to join the ranks of the superheroes he looks up to. It's a good thing he can take a punch.… (more)

***why a maybe***
LOOK AT THAT COVER COME ON WHY WOULDN'T I?!

But based on reviews it has a few things I actively avoid reading about. At this point in my life I can't handle it. It feels somewhat dumb to admit that but hey we all deal with stuff in our own way, right?

I'm a huge sucker for the 'getting your posts and now you have to hide them' trope. Even if it's done poorly and everyone who says that that bugs them but still think Superman is the bestest thang since sliced bread... Well. Also I read somewhere a comparison to Static Shock. I grew up with the cartoon. Like DC had him and Cyborg. And Marvel had Storm. Those characters were Gods in our household. And Spider-Man for some reason.

What I mean to say is every comparison with Static Shock is a plus in my book. He was such a sarcastic shit in my memory. I don't know if that's true but if the main character even is like 10% the same, I suspect I will enjoy him.

Dear Future-Me,

Hurry up will you?

Greetings,

Past-Me
  Jonesy_now | Sep 24, 2021 |
I did like the main character Quin. Also, artwork is vibrant and good. The plot isn’t something that will blow your mind off. It does cover some important social issues but still needs a bit of improvement in some of the aspects of the plot such as the dealings with the villain and the conclusion.

Overall, a decent comic, hoping for something more in Volume 2.

Thank You to NetGalley and Oni Press for this ARC! ( )
  Vanessa_Menezes | Mar 17, 2021 |
It's my first time dipping my toe into this new superhero shared universe from Lion Forge. This title is from the second wave of releases, so there are a lot of established heroes running around that I have never heard of before, but the focus is on Quinton West, a high school freshman who has discovered that he has what he considers the totally useless power of invulnerability.

There's a strong Spider-Man vibe (both Peter and Miles) as Quin explores his power, keeps it secret from his loving parents, deals with bullies, and crushes on a classmate. I started liking the intelligent and introverted Quin a lot as he navigated all this, which is good because the book sort of falls apart in the last two chapters with the introduction of a boss character out of nowhere, complete with battle suit and secret headquarters. A sloppily constructed final confrontation is almost laughable but won't keep me from picking up the next volume. ( )
  villemezbrown | Apr 27, 2020 |
Quinton West is a genius and living in New Orleans. He's a high-school sophomore and after THE EVENT he is gifted with invulnerability and he has to decide what he's going to do with that power. He's always wanted to be a superhero but the reality isn't quite that much fun.

It's fun and full of a variety of people and a good mix of realism and fantasy.

Borrowed from Dublin City Libraries. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Jul 4, 2019 |
A fun read. After a strange meteor shower, Quinn is invulnerable and can’t be hurt. He thinks it’s a lousy superpower at first. Then he meets Glow, who also has a meteor-given superpower and she encourages him to do something to help his community.

I like Quin and how relatable he is, and I like how his parents are a part of the story too. The rest of the diverse cast of superheroes is great too – like Quin, many of them are just trying to figure things out as they go. The villain in this case was a bit forgettable but hopefully in future volumes that can be improved on.

I appreciate how the comic was optimistic and hopeful, and has a great young superhero for our times. ( )
  RealLifeReading | May 10, 2019 |

Belongs to Series

Quincredible (Vol. 1 (1-5))

Belongs to Publisher Series

Create your own home defense system, Quin. It'll be easy!

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,107,038 books! | Top bar: Always visible