The Hidden Kingdom (Wings of Fire Graphic…

The Hidden Kingdom (Wings of Fire Graphic Novel #3): A Graphix Book (edition 2019)

by Tui T. Sutherland (Author)

Series: Wings of Fire (Graphic Novel 3)

Glory knows that the dragon world is wrong about her being 'a lazy RainWing'. Maybe she wasn't meant to be one of the dragonets of destiny, but Glory is sharp and her venom is deadly...even if that's still a secret.
Member:teamreyesec
Title:The Hidden Kingdom (Wings of Fire Graphic Novel #3): A Graphix Book
Authors:Tui T. Sutherland (Author)
Info:Graphix (2019), 224 pages

The Hidden Kingdom [graphix] by Tui T. Sutherland

I was really excited and nervous for this volume - technicolor dragons in a brilliant rainforest is something that should be thrilling in graphic novel format, and can so easily fall flat. Overall, this adaptation was solid - the art is bright and colorful without being garish, although the style is still fairly simple. I'd love to see a more elaborate artist take on these book, though I know that won't happen.

In text, discriminating characters quickly often relies on the first letter/syllable of the character's name. In graphic mediums, color schemes fill that role to orient the reader. In The Lost Heir, this was sometimes difficult as the book was largely monochromatic. Going into this book I was nervous since Rainwing color palettes are more complex and constantly change with mood/circumstances. The artist did a great job with body structure to differentiate, better than the previous book, even. I think the scenes with Tamarid could have been a bit more experimental in depicting her experience without alienating the younger audience.

My biggest complaint is that the plot of the book shifts gears very abruptly, and the tone shifts with it. The ending doesn't feel satisfying because the pre-shift arc isn't satisfactorily closed. The first half focuses on the mystery of the monster and missing Rainwings. The second half if about Glory vying for the throne. By the end, she gets the throne, but saving the Rainwings is on the back burner. I know why, given how the books link up, but its not as tight or satisfying a story structure as the other books.

Can't wait for #4. ( )
  kaitlynn_g | Dec 13, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

Wings of Fire (Graphic Novel 3)
For Elliot, who is as snuggly as a sloth, as funny as Kinkajou, as charming as Deathbringer, and as awesome as Glory. --T.T.S.
For my friends in Halifax, who supported me and my dumb art for years. --M.H.
So, these are the dragonets you raised as alternates in case something... happened... to the real ones.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,586,624 books! | Top bar: Always visible