Long Bright River

by Liz Moore

9196817,792 (4.01)102
"A suspense novel that also looks at the anatomy of a Philadelphia family rocked by the opioid crisis and the relationship between two sisters--one, suffering from addiction, who has suddenly gone missing amid a series of mysterious murders; the other a police officer who patrols the neighborhood from which she disappeared: a story about the formidable ties between place, family, and fate" --… (more)

So well done. I couldn’t put it down. ( )
  jcoleman3307 | Oct 7, 2021 |
Two sisters, once very close are now at odds. Kacey lives on the streets in the vise of addiction. Mickey is a police officer, they don’t speak anymore. This is about the past and present of these two sisters and how they find their way back to each other. ( )
  janismack | Aug 31, 2021 |
There is a sweet spot for me of a mixture of literary fiction with thriller. Tana French books pretty much define the space for me and “Long Bright River” moved right in to the neighborhood. I was transfixed by its ability to transport me to another world and let me see the world as they do for a while, which is one of the greatest things literature can do. So much of the book revolved around the horrible impact of assumptions in our world and let me tell you we ALL make so many assumptions all throughout our lives. Ms. Moore creates a lead character who is very different from me and so my assumptions about her and her life were a major factor as I read the book. And Mickey, our narrator, has many assumptions she has to put up with and many she has to overcome that she holds. The choice of empathy instead of judgment is woven throughout the narrative and is a theme I would love to have more people in the world today consider. There are amazing scenes that totally shook my perceptions, perhaps the strongest for me being when our narrator and her partner go to a gentrified coffee shop in their uniforms and are treated with wary looks from the other customers and outright hostility by the employees. They had done nothing wrong and I had gotten to like the narrator already so feeling that encounter from her point of view was jarring. Assumptions, assumptions, assumptions. There are scenes that made me shake my head like one at a McDonalds with a health conscious mother that just made you feel so badly for her child. The world that Mickey grew up in really angered me because it was considered bad to try and learn and better yourself. As she notes about her family, "There is a particular insult that the O’Briens often use to describe people they don’t like: She thinks she’s better than us." What a horrible way to be. In the end the mixture of the current day mystery with the flashbacks to Mickey’s history that lead up to the current day is handled deftly, with the skill of a fine movie director. The style is distinctive, somewhat staccato, and it totally drew me in. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this book and at how much it made me question a lot of assumptions I hold, both those I knew about and those that are subconscious. There is a line near the end about someone who most would say had made so many mistakes and was just broken, "She's doing her best." I'm going to try and remember that more often in real life. This was a very engaging and thoughtful book. ( )
  MarkMad | Jul 14, 2021 |
Well I finished this quickly. Compelling portrait of a family in the throes of addiction. One sister is a cop in the Philadelphia Police force and the other is lost to heroin. The addict disappears and the cop goes on an odyssey attempting to find her alive. I am not giving away anything to say that the addict had to be given Narcan on a few occasions so the cop has anxiety about her even though they are not currently in contact. Fascinating, riveting. I highly recommend this timely story. ( )
  scoene | Jul 13, 2021 |
Intense, sometimes difficult to read. ( )
  SallyElizabethMurphy | May 20, 2021 |
Long Bright River is being marketed as a thriller, but, as with the best crime novels, its scope defies the constraints of genre; it is family drama, history and social commentary wrapped up in the compelling format of a police procedural.... At the heart of the novel are questions about moral responsibility, and what it means to be honourable. It’s also an exploration of the vulnerability and strength of women. Moore – who volunteers with women’s groups in the area – has created a memorable portrait of the devastation created by poverty and addiction, and the compassion and courage that can rise to meet it.

"This is police procedural and a thriller par excellence, one in which the city of Philadelphia itself is a character (think Boston and Mystic River). But it’s also a literary tale narrated by a strong woman with a richly drawn personal life – powerful and genre-defying.”
added by vancouverdeb | editPeople Magazine

"[Moore’s] careful balance of the hard-bitten with the heartfelt is what elevates Long Bright River from entertaining page-turner to a book that makes you want to call someone you love.”
added by vancouverdeb | editThe New York Times Book Review

Moore, Lizprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kulick, GreggCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
What can be said of the Kensington of to-day, with her long line of business streets, her palatial residences and beautiful homes, that we do not know? A City within a City, nestling upon the bosom of the placid Delaware. Filled to the brim with enterprise, dotted with factories so numerous that the rising smoke obscures the sky. The hum of industry is heard in every corner of its broad expanse. A happy and contented people, enjoying plenty in a land of plenty. Populated by brave men, fair women and a hardy generation of young blood that will take the reins when the fathers have passed away. All hail, Kensington! A credit to the Continent—a crowning glory to the City. —From Kensington; a City Within a City (1891)
Is there confusion in the little isle? Let what is broken so remain. The Gods are hard to reconcile: ’Tis hard to settle order once again. There is confusion worse than death, Trouble on trouble, pain on pain, Long labour unto aged breath, Sore task to hearts worn out by many wars And eyes grown dim with gazing on the pilot-stars. But, propt on beds of amaranth and moly, How sweet (while warm airs lull us, blowing lowly) With half-dropt eyelid still, Beneath a heaven dark and holy, To watch the long bright river drawing slowly His waters from the purple hill— To hear the dewy echoes calling From cave to cave thro’ the thick-twined vine— To watch the emerald-colour’d water falling Thro’ many a wov’n acanthus-wreath divine! Only to hear and see the far-off sparkling brine, Only to hear were sweet, stretch’d out beneath the pine. —Alfred, Lord Tennyson, from “The Lotos-Eaters”
For M.A.C.
There's a body on the Gurney Street track. Female, age unclear, probable overdose, says the dispatcher.
Time slows in the breath people take after saying, I have something to tell you.
The city is changing, unstoppably. The displaced, the addicted, shift and reorder themselves and find new places to shoot up and only sometimes get better.
I picture Mrs. Mahon, her hand tipping back and forth in the air above the chessboard. They’re bad and good both, all the pieces. It is possible to acknowledge, on some level, the truth of this.

Two sisters travel the same streets, though their lives couldn't be more different. Then one of them goes missing.

In a Philadelphia neighborhood rocked by the opioid crisis, two once-inseparable sisters find themselves at odds. One, Kacey, lives on the streets in the vise of addiction. The other, Mickey, walks those same blocks on her police beat. They don't speak anymore, but Mickey never stops worrying about her sibling.

Then Kacey disappears, suddenly, at the same time that a mysterious string of murders begins in Mickey's district, and Mickey becomes dangerously obsessed with finding the culprit--and her sister--before it's too late.

Alternating its present-day mystery with the story of the sisters' childhood and adolescence, Long Bright River is at once heart-pounding and heart-wrenching: a gripping suspense novel that is also a moving story of sisters, addiction, and the formidable ties that persist between place, family, and fate.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,307,864 books! | Top bar: Always visible