Kristin Lavransdatter: The bridal wreath,…

Kristin Lavransdatter: The bridal wreath, The mistress of Husaby, The… (edition 1935)

by Sigrid Undset, Charles Archer

Series: Kristin Lavransdatter (Omnibus)

2,418664,342 (4.21)1 / 497
Panorama of Norwegian life in the first half of the 14th century and the tumultous life of a woman, traces Kristin's life from childhood to death.
Member:JohnFKennedy
Title:Kristin Lavransdatter: The bridal wreath, The mistress of Husaby, The cross
Authors:Sigrid Undset
Other authors:Charles Archer
Info:New York, A.A. Knopf, 1945 [c1935]
Tags:122 Bowdoin Street,

Kristin Lavransdatter by Sigrid Undset

English (65)  Swedish (1)  French (1)  All languages (67)
Over-long, over-wrought, and over-written. This epic historical novel has some sensitive insights and good writing, but drowns in too much exposition and religious fervor. Main character KL rebels in her youth and then pays a lifelong price in guilt and sense of sin. She is extolled as an admirable character, but it is hard to know why, as she does not really succeed either in meaningful insight nor in engaging with those closest to her (other than idol-worship of her father, whom she also betrays), including her many children. For a much better, fresher historical novel about medieval Scandinavia, try Jane Smiley's "The Greenlanders." ( )
  oatleyr | Aug 22, 2020 |
Last read trilogy in March-April, 2014, making this my third read-through. Shelving this separately since this is the first time I read the single-volume paperback I now own. ( )
  LudieGrace | Aug 10, 2020 |
Amazing, engaging, wonderful and fascinating. A long hard read for me of the Nunnally translation (amazing job by her too). Accessible characters help make 14th century Norway come to life. Kristin is a rich and deep character and I really felt like I'd lived through her life too. Highly recommend and thank you 1001 for bringing this to my attention. ( )
  brakketh | May 10, 2020 |
A sweeping but intimate view of medieval Normay (1320s-1340s). Several things set this apart. The obvious love the author has for the landscape. She portrays it as it changes through the seasons, with water constantly present in the landscape in some form and surrounded by mountains and their shadows. The other is deeply knowledgable portrayal of medieval life - the huge influence of the church on one's thinking and approach to everyday life while sitting alongside the still present pagan influences; the laws, the politics; the importance of kinship and ties and obligations it brings; how landownership works; the everyday workings of a farm and household; the clothes; how they travelled, etc., etc. A huge book (over 1000 pages) but worth it for being so wholly transported into that age and place in a believable manner. ( )
  devilish2 | Feb 21, 2020 |
I have many thoughts about this book, but will try to reign them in. The book spans 40+ years in Kristin's life in 14th century Norway. I listened to the audio only, so some of the problems I encountered may have been due to that. It was a good story--not great, but good enough. It was tough for women at that time, no doubt; but Kristin could have made better choices and her life would have been easier. Kristin's life was highly affected by the Church, and not always for the better. To be honest, I didn't find a character that I could like. They were all selfish and cold. Problems with the book: many of the names were similar, such as
Erlend Nikulaussön and Nikulaus Erlendssön (his son). If I had a hard copy I might not have had to sort the characters. Also, there were always wars and expeditions and a map for us not familiar with Scandinavia would have been helpful as well as a list of the Kings and their successors. From all of this, you may think I did not enjoy the read, but I did! I can see its place in literature and I'm glad I had the experience. 45 hours=1168 pages ( )
  Tess_W | Jan 1, 2020 |

Leithauser, BradIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nunnally, TiinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rondoni, DavideIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scott, J.S.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
When the earthly goods of Ivar Gjesling the Younger of Sundbu were divided up in the year 1306, his property at Sil was given to his daughter Ragnfrid and her husband Lavrans Bjorgulfson.
This record is for the trilogy complete set. Please do not add individual books of the trilogy to this record. Thank you!

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Ediciones Encuentro

3 editions of this book were published by Ediciones Encuentro.

Editions: 8474908647, 8474904277, 8499205240

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,591,287 books! | Top bar: Always visible