Jackpot

by Nic Stone

"When Rico sells a jackpot-winning lotto ticket, she thinks maybe her luck will finally change, but only if she and her popular and wildly rich classmate, Zan can find the ticket holder who hasn't claimed the prize"--

At times, I wanted to drop this book, but then I would read a section that caused me to stick around until the cycle repeated. The chapters from the perspectives of inanimate objects were quirky. In the beginning, I just was not feeling the Zan and Rico connection, but toward the second half, their interactions got less cringy and better. I was really tired of Rico’s mom. If you want to suffer in silence, have at it, but don’t let your decision affect the kids. Overall, I liked the story for the most part.

Not too sure how I feel about the ending. if Rico would've stopped being prideful, she could have had it all! Just snatch it out his hand and walk away. I think Zan overstepped his boundaries at the end.

2.5 ish ( )
  DestDest | Jul 30, 2020 |
Jackpot is written by Nic Stone, who is the amazing author of Dear Martin, Clean Getaway, and Odd One Out. Rico is an African American young lady who works at a gas station in the book, Jackpot. Her mom, brother, and Rico live together, but struggle to make ends meet. Rico sells two lottery tickets one day at work and the elderly woman allows Rico to add her birthday as numbers on one ticket. She then allows Rico to pick a ticket for herself. When the numbers are called, Rico recognizes the numbers. She then finds out the winning ticket was sold at her gas station. Time goes on and no one is claiming the winnings. Zan Macklin, a white affluential teen, is determined to help Rico find the elderly woman. Two teens teamed up, who are from very different backgrounds get to know each other and realize they may have more in common than they expected.

Creative writing throughout this book as some chapters are written from the perspective of objects, such as cash, fidget spinner, a stove, etc. Friendship, acceptance, empathy, and intrigue throughout. Jackpot is a selection on the ballot for next year’s YA Global Read Aloud! #Hottingerhighlights #pagecation2020 ( )
  lflareads | Jun 27, 2020 |
RGG: Not sure the plot makes all that much sense, but the characters are wonderful. Depiction of economic insecurity is important. Reading Interest: 13-YA
  rgruberexcel | Mar 25, 2020 |
  rgruberhighschool | Mar 25, 2020 |
Rico Danger knows the face of the person who bought the yet unclaimed hundred million dollar lottery ticket and is determined to find that person and tell them they have the winner in the hopes that they will give her a bit of a reward. In order to find said winner, Rico recruits the help of Zan Macklin a wealthy and very popular boy in her grade who also saw the winner the night she purchased a ticket.

I loved the interaction between Zan and Rico while on their quest to find Ethel. I loved how fiercely Rico didn’t want to ask Zan for help and didn’t want to owe him anything. I love how easily he fell into the role of helping her. This was both a fun book to read, but also a heartbreaking reminder of how hard life can be when you don’t have much. I also really like the supporting characters; Jessica and Finesse. This will fly off the shelves. Can’t wait to give it away to a deserving classroom. ( )
  JRlibrary | Jan 6, 2020 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,981,693 books! | Top bar: Always visible