Seize the Fire: Three Speeches

by Richard Flanagan

2None4,686,691NoneNone
Australia is not a fixed entity, a collection of outdated bigotries and reactionary credos, but rather an invitation to dream, and this country-our country-belongs to its dreamers . . . if we are finally to once more go forward as a people it's time our dreamers were brought in from the cold. Richard Flanagan's speeches have become unique literary events attended by sellout crowds, reported in national and international media, and a spur to widespread debate and discussion. Gathered here are three of his recent speeches in which he interweaves topics as diverse as troubadour poetry, love stories and the murder of the refugee Reza Barati; his top ten Tasmanian novels and the Australian Pacific solution; and his much-celebrated National Press Club address where he questioned the militarisation of Australian memory and argued for the need for formal Indigenous recognition. Comic, illuminating and deeply moving, this is writing speaking to the great questions of our time and our country.… (more)
Recently added byAnnetteFreeman

No tags

No reviews

Average: No ratings.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,087,337 books! | Top bar: Always visible