Parker Looks Up: An Extraordinary Moment (2019)

by Parker Curry

Publisher Annotation: A visit to Washington, DC's National Portrait Gallery forever alters Parker Curry's young life when she views First Lady Michelle Obama's portrait.

I enjoyed this book and admire the fact that it is based off of a true story. While it may include a few unnecessary details, the text did a good job of detailing a memorable experience for young Parker Curry. The picture book ultimately expresses the importance of representation for all races and reputable female role models for little girls. After visiting a large portrait painting of Michelle Obama, a picture of Parker Curry at the museum goes viral because of the look of complete admiration on her face. Representation helps Parker to believe and understand that she can do big things with her life just like Michelle Obama. I would definitely recommend reading this book to little girls! ( )
  brooke.hodges | Apr 13, 2021 |
"This book is based on the viral photograph of African American toddler Parker Curry, who, during a visit to the National Portrait Gallery, became mesmerized by Amy Sherald’s portrait of Michelle Obama, who she thought was a queen.

One rainy afternoon, Parker’s mother (co-author Jessica Curry) makes the suggestion that they visit the museum, little sister Ava in tow. At the museum, they see Parker’s friend Gia and her mother. The three girls dance through the halls of the museum noticing horses, flowers, and feathers in the famous works of art. Just before they leave, Parker notices the portrait of Michelle Obama, stops in her tracks, and that viral photographic moment is born. Parker’s thoughts about what she sees when she looks at Michelle Obama are assumed by her expressive gaze, well captured by illustrator Jackson. The reimagined images of the paintings are brilliant. In one, Einstein seems to be looking down on Parker and Gia, who laugh at his “bushy mustache,” and ballerinas in “frilly white tutus” step out of the frame to join the girls as they dance down a hall. (The actual titles of the paintings are included in the backmatter.) One illustration shows a diverse group of children engaging in various activities, which invites young readers to imagine a world of possibilities for themselves, the way Parker does.

A delightful story that speaks powerfully to the importance of representation. (Picture book. 3-7)" From Kirkus, www.kirkusreviews.com
  CDJLibrary | Jan 4, 2021 |
A lovely picture book about the power art and representation on a child's worldview. ( )
  Katya0133 | May 28, 2020 |
Nice enough, but did not quite capture the power of the story that swept the internet and caught my attention for a moment. ( )
  villemezbrown | Jan 12, 2020 |
Parker is a girl full of life, who loves to dance. When her mother takes her to the museum, she discovers all sorts of wonderful paintings with her friend and sister. They have so much fun. Just when mother tells them its time to leave, Parker sees a portrait which makes her stop and take it in as it effects her in ways she'd never expect.

I love the energy Parker has. She's such a cute girl packed with life. It's delightful to follow her as she puts on her boots and stomps to the museum with her sister. Young listeners will feel a connection to her right away. The museum is presented as a place full of adventure and discovery. Several artworks, which can be found at the National Portrait Gallery and Smithsonian American Art Museum, are presented...but not in a boring way. Each is presented as if it comes off of the page, giving it a sense of fun and excitement. There's a short description of each one in the back of the book as well.

There are two messages in these pages. The first does a terrific job at showing how exciting an art museum can be. Paintings can be a joy to discover and there are some that will leave an impression. The second highlights Michelle Obama and shows how her portrait affected little Parker using single word thoughts to let the emotions and impressions flow. At the end of the book, there is a note from the artist of the painting. I, personally, would have liked, at least, a short biography of Michelle Obama, since the book does center around her and young listeners won't necessarily know who she is, especially as time goes on.

The illustrations are as lively as Parker herself and do a terrific job at bringing across the artwork in the museum. They make this book a joy to read. I received a complimentary copy and enjoyed taking the adventure with Parker quite a bit. So, I'm leaving my honest thoughts. ( )
  tdrecker | Nov 27, 2019 |
For my little sister, Ava - P. C.
For my Aunt Sandy (Curry), who inspired us to share Parker's story as a picture book - J. C.
To Parker Curry -- you are a prime example of how one person's experience can touch the hearts of so many. Through your experience, I have been blessed with the opportunity to continue to do what I love most -- living my childhood dream of being an illustrator. For that, I am eternally grateful. Thank you for the opportunity to draw you, your family, and your friends, and for allowing me to be a part of this wonderful ongoing journey. - B. J.
Parker Curry loved to dance.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,906,811 books! | Top bar: Always visible