HomeGroupsTalkExplore

Me and White Supremacy

by Layla F. SAAD

"When Layla Saad began an Instagram challenge called #meandwhitesupremacy, she never predicted it would become a cultural movement. She encouraged people to own up and share their racist behaviors, big and small. She was looking for truth, and she got it... Thousands of people participated in the challenge, and over 80,000 people downloaded the supporting work Me and White Supremacy. Updated and expanded from the original edition, Me and White Supremacy teaches readers how to dismantle the privilege within themselves so that they can stop (often unconsciously) inflicting damage on people of color, and in turn, help other white people do better, too"--… (more)

Note: I accessed a digital review copy of this book through Edelweiss.
  fernandie | Sep 15, 2022 |
I am a liberal white woman who absolutely believes that everyone should have equal rights and that no race or gender is better or should have more privilege than any other. But working through this book revealed some uncomfortable places that I still have white supremacy embedded in my consciousness. Author Saad takes a tough love approach to her topic: acknowledging that this work can be very painful and unsettling for white people, but reminding us time and again that whatever pain we experience is far, far less than the pain people of color experience being oppressed by white supremacy.

You can work through this book on your own, but I think it would be even more valuable to work through in a group so you can share and discuss the issues and your own thoughts and experiences - and Saad includes specific guidelines for this at the end. ( )
  jsabrina | Jul 13, 2021 |
There is no hiding here. I love love love Layla Saad because she did not let me passively read about racism for one second. It took me two months to read because I wanted to be deliberate about doing the journal prompts to the fullest and best of my ability--it was worth every moment, and I am so glad I have this resource to return to throughout my life to keep peeling back the layers. Saad asks readers to get so granular in picking apart their complicity and (for me at least) it is enough of a sustained practice of doing so that I just can't imagine anyone getting to the end of this book not seeing at least something in their life that needs to fundamentally change, if not the whole dang thing. But you've got to do the work, and you've got to hold yourself accountable, and you're not going to get a pat on the back for it.

I could indulge in wishful thinking, hoping that every white person would read this and do the work, but that is unrealistic. However, I wholeheartedly recommend this book to those who are ready to sit down, be brutally honest with themselves, and start making changes on both personal and systemic levels. For a longer (video) review, check out Danika at The Lesbrary's Book Riot review. ( )
  LibroLindsay | Jun 18, 2021 |
Very doable workbook for whites to examine their relationship with white supremacy. ( )
  bookwyrmm | May 26, 2021 |

This book was recommended to me as a good anti-racism resource to start my learning with. This book can be read in one sitting, or be used as a 28 Day Challenge of daily journaling prompts.

My Thoughts

This was a good introduction to anti-racism reading. This book was recommended by many blogs and readers, and I chose to read it over a few weeks as the daily prompts, similar to the original challenge.

“This work is not about those white people “out there.” It is about you. Just you.”

Saad introduces the reader to facts on racism and examples of daily microaggressions and prejudice. She explains why these actions are offensive and harmful to Black, Indigenous, and People of Color. The reader is provided with a few bullet points to reflect on, to delve into understanding their privilege and the root of their prejudiced beliefs.

As a daily prompt this book takes just 5-15 pages of reading and needs only a few minutes of reflection and journaling time. I thought this was a good way to start anti-racism learning so that it is a daily consideration.

By the time I completed the prompts, I had already charged ahead with other online reading and discussions and felt ready for a deeper and more direct book. However, the daily prompts were still beneficial for pausing and reflecting on my own actions- a habit I want to continue to develop.

Overall I highly recommend this book for those who are interested in and just starting to accept their privilege, and want to learn more about it.

I hope you enjoyed my thoughts on Me & White Supremacy. Have you read this? Tell me what you thought!

Feel free to comment below or on my 'bookstagram' at @ReadWithWine .
This review was originally posted on ReadWithWine ( )
  readwithwine | Jan 18, 2021 |

Ask questions,
Seek answers,
Learn,
Teach.
Earthseed: The Books of the Living I, Verse 43; Octavia Butler, Parable of the Talents
For Sam, Maya, and Mohamed. Thank you for loving me, believing in me, and inspiring me to be a good ancestor. I love you. This is for you.
Dear Reader,
How did you feel the first time you saw the title of this book? Were you surprised? Confused? Intrigued? Uncomfortable? Maybe all of the above?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,606,098 books! | Top bar: Always visible