A Long Petal of the Sea (2019)

by Isabel Allende

"In the late 1930s, civil war gripped Spain. When General Franco and his Fascists succeed in overthrowing the government, hundreds of thousands are forced to flee in a treacherous journey over the mountains to the French border. Among them is Roser, a pregnant young widow, who finds her life irreversibly intertwined with that of Victor Dalmau, an army doctor and the brother of her deceased love. In order to survive, the two must unite in a marriage neither of them wants, and together are sponsored by poet Pablo Neruda to embark on the SS Winnipeg along with 2,200 other refugees in search of a new life. As unlikely partners, they embrace exile and emigrate to Chile as the rest of Europe erupts in World War. Starting over on a new continent, their trials are just beginning. Over the course of their lives, they will face test after test. But they will also find joy as they wait patiently for a day when they are exiles no more, and will find friends in the most unlikely of places. Through it all, it is that hope of being reunited with their home that keeps them going. And in the end, they will find that home might have been closer than they thought all along"--… (more)

English (64)  Spanish (4)  German (2)  All languages (70)
Lush historical fiction so deftly told in Isabel Allende’s trademark beautiful prose. The story begins in 1938 in Spain, where we meet Roser Bruguera and the Dalmau family; Roser becomes pregnant with Guillem Dalmau’s child before he is killed at the Battle of Ebro in the Spanish Civil War. Although Guillem’s death is concealed from Roser, as it becomes clear that the Republican cause will be crushed, a very pregnant Roser, her would-be mother-in-law Carme, and another friend are convinced to flee to France. Eventually, Roser and Carme are separated and Roser has a treacherous journey over the Pyrenees, where she eventually encounters Guillem’s brother Victor. After Roser gives birth to a son and they are unable to ascertain the whereabouts of Carme, they learn of a ship, the Winnipeg, that will carry 2000 exiles to Chile, a mission organized by the poet Pablo Neruda. To gain passage on the ship, Victor and Roser must marry, but it is really Roser’s ability to play the piano that assures them berths. Once in Chile, Victor, who served as a medic during the Spanish Civil War, is helped into medical school by the socialist politician, Salvador Allende, whose friendship puts the Dalmauses in jeopardy when Allende is deposed by the brutal Augusto Pinochet in a 1973 coup, and they escape to Venezuela. Richly drawn characters for the most part, and a compelling saga of love and resistance against authoritarian regimes. ( )
  bschweiger | Feb 4, 2024 |
Lyrical and evocative historical fiction about two lost souls fleeing the Spanish Civil War and the lives they make for themselves in Chili. Victor, a medic for the militia, must flee Spain with his mother and Roser, his brother's pregnant lover. Since his father and brother's death, Victor must do what is best for the women in his life. Told over the course of decades, A Long Petal of the Sea, tells us the up and downs of the life that Victor has forged for himself. Set in a country where I have read little, it was fascinating to learn more about Chile and the political strife they were facing. This story is really a 3.5 rating for me. For a lot of the book I wasn't sure where the story was going but I was still intrigued. I enjoyed the characters and thought they were very human, but didn't always love them. They were real and flawed. Character driven and beautifully narrated. ( )
  ecataldi | Feb 1, 2024 |
This was pretty interesting. It started out with people on the Republican side in the Spanish civil war. Franco's forces pretty much defeated the Republicans, rather brutally, actually. The characters ended up in "refugee camps" in France. The protagonist, Victor ? escaped to Chile with his pregnant "wife", Roser, thanks to the intercessions of the famous poet, Pablo Neruda. Roser was actually pregnant with Victor's brother's child, but the brother had been killed in the war. The only way to save Rosar was to marry her and take her along. Over time, Victor and Roser developed a deep love.

Anyway, they set up in Chile and things were good there until Pinochet headed up a military coup to depose Salvador Allende. So, it was back to exile, this time in Venezuela. Eventually, things improved in Chile and they got to go back for their final years.

Interesting that as I was reading about the military coup that installed Pinochet, Henry Kissinger, who abetted Pinochet with the coup died. Also interesting to me is how awful authoritarian regimes can be, but here in the U.S., close to half the population are seriously contemplating installing an authoritarian in the White House come 2024. WTF?

Better than ***, but not so good as ****, so actually, ***
  lgpiper | Jan 8, 2024 |
This is the life story of Victor Dalmau, having served as a medic in the Spanish Civil War, fleeing to France when all is lost, and then immigrating to Chile with his brother’s pregnant girlfriend. This should be quite exciting, but it’s told like a recitation of facts and the news (about the war and politics) in past tense. In a word, I found it dull. And hard to get through for that reason. Barely a pick for me. ( )
  KarenMonsen | Nov 12, 2023 |
This is hands down my recommendation for those trying to get into Isabel Allende who aren't ready to conquer the masterpiece that is The House of the Spirits.In actuality, it's probably me that's biased, since an embarrassingly large portion of my degree was spent studying Spain around the time of Franco, and a significantly smaller portion was spent studying Central and South American literature. I find myself ranting on simply too many occasions about the way this part of history is generally ignored. At the same time, having spent so much time studying Francoist Spain, you will be hard pressed to force me to consume more about the time period. But I made an exception for Isabel, and I was so glad I did. This book has everything I look for in a good Allende: generational structure, complex characters (who don't all agree with each other politically or morally even when they are related) and the blurring between good and evil. Plus, this one isn't too long, which is why I believe it would be more palatable than some of Allende's more epic (and honestly much better) pieces. 10/10, probably would read again. ( )
  ejerig | Oct 25, 2023 |

Liverani, ElenaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mann, DavidCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Prøis, SigneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Puls, WiebkeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
... vreemdelingen, dit is het,
dit is mijn vaderland,
hier ben ik geboren en hier wonen mijn dromen.

PABLO NERUDA,
'Thuiskomst',
Omzwervingen en thuiskomen
To my brother Juan Allende
To Victor Pey Casado and other navigators of hope
The young soldier was part of the "Baby Bottle Conscription," the boys called up when there were no more men, young or old, to fight the war.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 201,982,173 books! | Top bar: Always visible