The Rossetti Letter by Christi Phillips

The Rossetti Letter (edition 2007)

by Christi Phillips (Author)

Member:TheCriticalTimes
Title:The Rossetti Letter
Authors:Christi Phillips (Author)
Info:Gallery (2007), 400 pages

The Rossetti Letter by Christi Phillips

The Lost Sisterhood by Anne Fortier (4leschats)
    4leschats: Both use the modern day scholar investigating an ancient and modern mystery
    The Secret History of the Pink Carnation by Lauren Willig (carlyrose)
    carlyrose: Dual narratives with a female academic researching her dissertation.
    Ghostwalk by Rebecca Stott (nicchic)
    In the Company of the Courtesan by Sarah Dunant (nicchic)

I actually read this book after The Devlin Diary, not realizing DD was a sequel until I started reading it. I'm glad I read DD first...this book started out really slow, and had I read this one first, I might never have read DD, and that would be a shame, because it's a good book. ( )
  lucy3107 | Sep 23, 2013 |
I have been to Venice twice and this books reminds me nothing of the Venice I saw. I think I might see the author's Venice if I stayed for more than a few days. This book definitely improved as I read the book. The ending was very good. I didn't really understand how the few pages describing working with Andrew Kent in the Biblioteca Marciana solved Claire's dissertation research problems, but, perhaps, that is a minor detail. There is a lot of growing up detailed in this book, which I enjoyed.
  jlapac | Aug 14, 2013 |
Christi Phillip’s “Rossetti Letter” has the right mix of history and present day.
The sequences between the past Venice and the present day Venice were very good. It was like reading two stories at once. And the similar situations between Claire and Alessandra, being two women from two different eras, who are alone in the world and trying to make the best of it gives the story a very timeless theme.
I also seem to get the message that you do not need to give up femininity to make it in the world either.
Claire seems to have lost any interest in the opposite sex and her femininity and only gets it back with the help of Gwen and Giancarlo and the atmosphere in Venice. As Gwen puts it Claire needed to get her groove back.
Without giving too much away it was a great read. I enjoyed the historical parts of the story as much as the present day escapes of Claire and Gwen and would recommend it to anyone who likes a light hearted story laced with history. ( )
  marysneedle | Mar 29, 2013 |
I wish it were possible to review a book by cutting it up into three separate books. Because two out of the three would get favorable reviews from me while the third... well, I don't think I'd have read the third after the first 20 pages or so if I had the choice.

Basically, The Rossetti Letter is three stories - that of modern-time Claire, out to prove her dissertation on Alessandra Rossetti, that of Alessandra, a courtesan who lived in seventeenth century Venice, and finally, a political conspiracy taking place in Venice in which Alessandra has a part in.

The modern story, I think, is given more credit in the summary than deserves, but it was entertaining, I found Claire likeable, I found the reason she actually got to go to Venice a bit laughable, and the relationships formed in Venice a bit contrived, but still - it was mindless fun.

I actually enjoyed Alessandra's story the most. I enjoyed learning about the lifestyle, the choices given to women without dowry and I had no idea that only one son in a family was usually allowed to marry, thereby making courtesans "necessary evils".

But the political, historical stuff - seriously, I felt so lost and I floundered my way through it because, frankly, it just wasn't that interesting. If the book had more of that part of the story in it then it did, then I honestly would not have finished the book, because as much as I enjoyed Alessandra and was amused by Claire, it wouldn't have been worth the boredom.

But, for the $5 this book ended up costing me - it was an okay read, just nothing to write home about. ( )
1 vote TheLostEntwife | Jul 1, 2011 |
A very enjoyable read for anyone interested in historic Venice. When reviewing a book it causes me to think about the author's intention. In this case, I know that the author must have thought about her readers and their experience in reading her book. The Rossetti Letter was a book I rushed home to read. It moved seamlessly between past and present. I enjoyed the author's depiction of the era of the courtesans, a bit trashy at times, but that added to the enjoyment of the novel. In Clare Donovan's quest to unravel the mystery of the Rossetti Letter as part of her doctoral research, she manages to also break out of her own shell. Many elements here that make it a book I would recommend: history, mystery, betrayal, love, lust, intrigue, humor, romance and more. Looking forward to reading more by this author!
  astridnr | Apr 8, 2011 |
The entire city is dedicated to Venus.-Alphonso de la Cueva, the marquis of Bedmar and Spanish Ambassador to Venice, 1608-1618
Two lone women in an unknown city-now that's what I call an adventure.-E.M. Forster,A Room With A View
For Brian
Her hands looked unnaturally pale in the moonlight.

Fearing that her research will be rendered useless if a Cambridge professor proves his theory about seventeenth-century Venetian courtesan Alessandra Rossetti, Ph.D. candidate Claire Donovan agrees to chaperone a troubled teen in order to gain passage to the professor's presentation in Venice.… (more)

Christi Phillips is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,185,252 books! | Top bar: Always visible