Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

The Avant-Guards Vol. 1

by Carly Usdin

Series: The Avant-Guards (Vol. 1 (1-4))

As a transfer student to the Georgia O'Keeffe College for Arts and Subtle Dramatics, former sports star Charlie is struggling to find her classes, her dorm, and her place amongst a student body full of artists who seem to know exactly where they're going. When the school's barely-a-basketball-team unexpectedly attempts to recruit her, Charlie's adamant that she's left that life behind...until she's won over by the charming team captain, Liv, and the ragtag crew she's managed to assemble. And while Charlie may have left cut-throat competition in in the dust, sinking these hoops may be exactly what she needs to see the person she truly wants to be. From Carly Usdin, the writer behind the hit series Heavy Vinyl, and artist Noah Hayes (Wet Hot American Summer) comes an ensemble comedy series that understands that it's the person you are off the court that matters most.… (more)

The first collection of issues of the comic The Avant-Guards, which follows the members of a newly formed women's basketball team at an arts college. I immediately fell in love with all of the characters here (especially Charlie and Liv, who the comic seems to be focused on, at least for now), and I love the diverse representation of races, sexualities, and religions. This gives me a little bit of a Giant Days feel, and I'm really glad to have something to look forward to reading as that series finishes up. ( )
  lycomayflower | Jul 31, 2020 |
Charlie is a transfer at the Georgia O'Keefe College of Arts and Subtle Dramatics. Liv and her friends recruit Charlie to be on the school's first basketball team in a new college division ("NCAAA Div IV"). Charlie is hesitant, given her past in the sport but ultimately gives in. The team is free-wheelingly diverse: gay, bi, non-binary, shades of brown, even a witch. Entertaining and affirming reading for the 21st century teen. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 15, 2020 |
A cute and amusing story about the formation of a women's basketball team at an art school. A good book to read while waiting for the next volume of Giant Days. ( )
  villemezbrown | Dec 1, 2019 |
Sweet. Really appreciate the wide diversity of characters in terms of race, religion (one background character in hijab, one main character is Wiccan), sexuality (at least one character is bisexual, with two others demonstrating same-sex attraction), and gender identity (one main character uses they/them pronouns). Nothing overtly adult about it, but with characters in college, will appeal primarily to YA audience. ( )
  clrichm | Aug 14, 2019 |
*heart-eyes emoji*

(Full disclosure: I received a free e-ARC for review through NetGalley.)

After losing her basketball scholarship at state, Charlie Bravo (yes, she's heard that one before) is a new transfer at the Georgia O’Keeffe College of Arts and Subtle Dramatics ("where everything is open to interpretation!"). Even though she's vowed to steer clear of team sports, her stubbornness is no match for Olivia, an adorably plucky overachiever who managed to build a women's basketball league, herself, from scratch. The only thing standing in Liv's way is Charlie, by which I mean that the Avant-Guards are short just one player, and Liv has decided that Charlie is that woman.

It doesn't hurt that Charlie is H-O-T and Liv would like nothing more than to mash their faces together in a very non-platonic way.

Sports are not normally my thing, but I do love a) intrepid heroines; b) storylines that celebrate female friendship and elevate it over rivalry; c) worlds populated by diverse peoples, especially when some of them are queer women of color; d) f/f romances; and e) black girl magic. The Avant-Guards has all of the above, in spades, as well as hoop-shooting, curvaceous witches; an on-campus coven; a pretty sexy nonbinary character named Jay; and bucket of rainbow confetti.

This is the sweetest, most adorable and wholesome book I've read in quite some time, and I mean that in the best way possible. The Avant-Guards is literally brimming with heart emojis. And the art is just perfect, cute and so very complementary to the story and characters. (You might say it's an, erm, slam dunk.) Every. Single. Panel. saw me ooh-ing, ahh-ing, and sqee-ing in delight. (And, save for the doggos, I am not the squee-ing type.)

And this was all before the impromptu dog adoption event at half-time in the inaugural game! If I wasn't already I goner by then.

http://www.easyvegan.info/2019/09/06/the-avant-guards-volume-1-by-carly-usdin/ ( )
  smiteme | Jun 2, 2019 |

Belongs to Series

The Avant-Guards (Vol. 1 (1-4))
"Name?"
"Bravo. Charlie Bravo."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,713,324 books! | Top bar: Always visible