Tin Badges: A Novel by Lorenzo Carcaterra

Tin Badges: A Novel

by Lorenzo Carcaterra

841,528,120 (4.5)None

This is an excellent crime novel with a clean, spare writing style that moves the plot along quickly, which is important as it was hard to put down. The characters felt like real people, like some folks I may have already met. This is the second of the author’s books I have read, and I enjoyed both immensely. Great story. Thanks to #NetGalley for the ARC. #TinBadges ( )
  RobynELee | Jun 21, 2019 |
“Tin Badges” is a terrific read

Lorenzo Carcaterra has written an exciting roller coaster of a story about a couple of beaten up retired NYPD detectives who cannot quite bring themselves to just sit around in rocking chairs - or wheelchairs.

Tank and Pearl are flawed, yet good people doing some of the most difficult work possible - chasing cold cases from NYPD. I am rooting for Tank’s nephew and cannot wait for Book 2! This one was an advance copy from the publisher - thank you! ( )
  jannid | Jun 21, 2019 |
A truly remarkable detective/cold case/family story! I would give it more stars if I could.

I have always been a fan of detective stories. I have never read one with quite the angle of this one and I appreciate every word of it. The characters are relatable, I felt their pain and their happiness. I felt the awkwardness of being a teenager. I felt the truthfulness of dealing with bad things on a daily basis. The honesty.

The action! Can't forget the action in this book! The writing! The writing is what glues it together and makes it all work and run the way it does. I loved this book. So will you.

More, please, more.

I received my copy of this book from NetGalley.com and the publisher. Many thanks to them. ( )
  Bonnie.Franks | Jun 7, 2019 |
Review of uncorrected proof

Tommy Rizzo, commonly referred to as Tank, now works as a tin badge whenever the chief of detectives hands the retired NYPD detective an unsolved case to investigate. Both Tank and his partner, Frank Monroe, better known as Pearl, suffered severe injuries while working their last on-the-job case, injuries that left Pearl wheelchair-bound. But Pearl remains an important part of the team Tank has gathered to assist him in these cold case investigations.

Tank accepts a rape/assault cold case from Chief Ray Connors; early in the investigation, it becomes clear that there are unanticipated aspects to the case and the case takes a dangerous turn when cocaine dealer Juan Marichal Gonzalez, known on the street at Gonzo, becomes the focus of the investigation.

Complicating matters for Tank, he unexpectedly becomes the guardian for his nephew, Chris, when the teen’s parents die in an automobile accident. As much as Tank wants to protect Chris and the other members of his self-adopted family, the danger associated with the case grows as the investigation changes in unexpected ways. Will Tank be able to find the answers and bring down the criminals without endangering the lives of those he holds most dear?

This absorbing tale of police and drug pushers isn’t short on action, but as police work often is, it is gritty. The fast pace, aided by short chapters, keeps the suspense building and the tension mounting. Believable, well-developed characters populate the story; it is these strong characterizations, and the vivid sense of place, that give the narrative its realism.

Although readers may predict some of the outcomes in advance, the plot takes several surprising twists that ratchet up the apprehension for the reader. With most of the major plot points addressed as the unfolding story comes to a close, a completely unexpected revelation is certain to surprise the reader as it foreshadows the next installment of the series.

Highly recommended.

I received a free copy of this eBook from Random House Publishing Group – Ballantine Books and NetGalley
#TinBadges #NetGalley ( )
  jfe16 | May 27, 2019 |

A top NYPD detective is pulled out of retirement to take down a notorious drug dealer. But when cracking the case means involving his computer-whiz nephew, will he risk the only family he's ever had?

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Lorenzo Carcaterra's book Tin Badges is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,468,428 books! | Top bar: Always visible