In Waves by AJ Dungo

In Waves

by AJ Dungo

A tale of love, heartbreak and surfing from an important new voice in comics. In Waves is Craig Thompson's Blankets meets William Finnegan's Barbarian Days.In this visually arresting graphic novel, surfer and illustrator AJ Dungo remembers his late partner, her battle with cancer, and their shared love of surfing that brought them strength throughout their time together. With his passion for surfing uniting many narratives, he intertwines his own story with those of some of the great heroes of surf in a rare work of nonfiction that is as moving as it is fascinating.… (more)

The structure of this graphic memoir gave it a detached air that kept me from fully engaging with it. The author alternates moments from his relationship with a young woman who has cancer with biographical sketches of surfing legends Duke Kahanamoku and Tom Blake. The history bits are fairly straightforward if a bit dull due to the pacing, but the relationship parts aren't in chronological order, which usually doesn't bother me, but somehow detracted here, leaving me more confused than curious about what was wrong with the woman.

The takeaway seems to be, "Hey, my sick girlfriend liked to surf, and here are some other guys who liked to surf too." ( )
1 vote villemezbrown | Jun 19, 2019 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,907,565 books! | Top bar: Always visible