The Fire Within (The Last Dragon Chronicles…

The Fire Within (The Last Dragon Chronicles #1) (original 2001; edition 2005)

by Chris d'Lacey (Author)

2,201515,564 (3.74)29
When college student David Rain rents a room in an unusual boardinghouse full of clay dragons, he has no idea that they, along with some lively squirrels, will help jumpstart his writing career.
Member:benzieschools.net
Title:The Fire Within (The Last Dragon Chronicles #1)
Authors:Chris d'Lacey (Author)
Info:Orchard Books (2005), 352 pages

Work Information

The Fire Within by Chris D'Lacey (2001)

lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
  lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
I really enjoyed this a lot. It was nothing like I had imagined it; much more realistic with a touch of magic, rather than blatant fantasy. It also features several more squirrels than I would have anticipated. Even so, I really liked it--perhaps more so than I would have otherwise. It was easy to imagine this family really existing, and I'm certain I'll think about them anytime I go somewhere selling dragon sculptures.

The only real complaint that I had was that I didn't think the main character was realistically 20. He kept saying "I have to go to college now," though nobody really says it like that, and the squirrel thing seemed like his whole life. I'd have expected him to have pre-existing friends and hobbies that he also would have, even mentioned briefly as a background thing. He also seemed just a little too attached to his teddy bear; I know a lot of adults still have their teddy bears from childhood, but I feel like it's uncommon to reference them as frequently as he referenced his. ( )
  NovelInsights | Sep 21, 2019 |
Tried to read this but never got past the first chapter.
  aratiel | Sep 5, 2018 |
This was a fun story that I'd definitely recommend for children. It's not as fantastical as I expected it to be, but that's alright. I think it's great for helping imagine things in our own world in that way.
Only giving it three and a half stars because I am reading this as an adult so obviously it's not really perfect for me. But still, great book. Will be reading more~ ( )
  leoithne | Nov 27, 2017 |

Belongs to Series

for Jay
who had the first Snigger
and will almost certainly have the last laugh
"Well, here we are," Mrs Pennykettle said, pausing by the door of the room she had for rent.

When David moves in with Liz and Lucy, he discovers a collection of hand crafted, clay dragons that comes to life and has magical powers. David's personalized dragon, Gadzooks, can forecast the future, and inspires him to write a story which reveals the truth behind an unsolved mystery close to home. The story has an unhappy ending, and when David realizes the consequences of it he is angry. Then David finds Gadzooks crying and near death, and he discovers that these special dragons die when they are not loved. Soon David is forced to save his friend and unlock the powers of the fire within.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,347,306 books! | Top bar: Always visible