dismiss

The Deathless Girls by Kiran Millwood…

The Deathless Girls (original 2019; edition 2020)

by Kiran Millwood Hargrave (Author)

Gothic, intoxicating, feminist and romantic - this is the breathtakingly imagined untold story of the brides of Dracula, by bestselling author Kiran Millwood Hargrave in her much-anticipated YA debut. They say the thirst of blood is like a madness - they must sate it. Even with their own kin. On the eve of her divining, the day she'll discover her fate, seventeen-year-old Lil and her twin sister Kizzy are captured and enslaved by the cruel Boyar Valcar, taken far away from their beloved traveller community. Forced to work in the harsh and unwelcoming castle kitchens, Lil is comforted when she meets Mira, a fellow slave who she feels drawn to in a way she doesn't understand. But she also learns about the Dragon, a mysterious and terrifying figure of myth and legend who takes girls as gifts. They may not have had their divining day, but the girls will still discover their fate... "The Deathless Girls is exquisitely written, as we have come to expect from Millwood Hargrave, but it is also riveting, intoxicating, and utterly unputdownable." - Louise O'Neill… (more)
Member:LindseyRoseHarte
Title:The Deathless Girls
Authors:Kiran Millwood Hargrave (Author)
Info:Orion Children's Books (2020), Edition: 01, 272 pages

The Deathless Girls by Kiran Millwood Hargrave (2019)

DID YOU JUST SAY BRIDES OF DRACULA ORIGIN STORY
  Chyvalrys | Aug 5, 2020 |
2019/2020 are officially the vampires comeback and i'm loving the hell out of this
  primordialnyx | Jun 24, 2020 |
This was meandering, anti-climactic and none of the motivations ultimately made sense? Like, all the character growth was swept under the rug in the last chapter and the epilogue was... But also (and this will irritate me for days) they ate raw lingon berries? Raw. Lingon. Berries. I mean sure, except there's absolutely no way. ( )
  systemfailure | Jun 16, 2020 |
When I heard this would be a fleshing out of the so-called "brides" of Dracula written as a YA, I was worried that it would devolve into something a little less dark than what it really came to be.

Thank goodness, right?

There is a rather powerful trend to make vampires less... scary... these days, and building a mystique that lets us approve of these "brides" makes me feel some unease. Fortunately, the core of THIS tale is the brutality of being used and abused on the outskirts of accepted civilization, being a Traveler - or rather, a gypsy - and feeling truly powerless to hold on to your own fate. Rather appropriate. And the love between these two sisters feels very real, too.

The tragedy and subsequent adventure and additional tragedies are not particularly YA but the darkness might have had a bit more depth in general. Bad people were everywhere and only the slaves had redeeming qualities. Maybe that's appropriate for such a short novel and it was nonetheless enjoyable all the way to the end, but I did feel that the finale was RATHER rushed. It doesn't sit all that well with me. Yes, we know that these poor kids were ill-used and I can see why they'd crave power, but all we really get is a hard life and then a fait accompli without hardly any convincing, cajoling, manipulation, or struggle. A million other vampire tales live and breathe (or die) on that premise.

Should I judge this by the best aspects of all those other tales? Is that fair? I don't know, but I'm trusting my gut on this one. The book could have been longer to fit in a much more courageous and interesting end. ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
I do love re-tellings, or prequels to famous literature -- or at least in concept, if not always in execution -- so that is what drew me to this book.

And it's ... okay, I guess. It's certainly an interesting subject matter, tackling how Dracula got his "brides". And the historical fiction aspects, combined with making the lead character/narrator a lesbian was pretty good. But that ending ... it's just not an ending! There needed to be at least a couple more chapters to properly tie everything up before the epilogue. And I had a difficult time connecting with all the characters -- maybe it was because their fates were a foregone conclusion, but I also think it's because they come off a bit tropey.

I've seen some complaints that this book is boring, and I can understand that point of view. There are some parts where it drags a bit, but overall I thought it was fairly fast-paced and there did need to be proper build-up (even if Hargrave didn't stick the landing). ( )
  majesdane | Jan 6, 2020 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,921,841 books! | Top bar: Always visible