Storm Cloud Haze: A memoir in poetry, prose…

Storm Cloud Haze: A memoir in poetry, prose and polaroids (edition 2019)

by Alessandra Wike (Author)

1491,020,803 (4.78)None
A firework of pain combusted below my right eyebrow. It was so sharp it smashed the breath from my lungs and voice from my throat. If it had lasted only one second longer, I would have screamed. My skull was cracking from the inside.At 19 years old, Alessandra Wike learns she has a genetic abnormality: a tumor made of bone growing in the center of her sinuses. Each time it's removed, the tumor grows back bigger than before.In this collection of poetry, prose and polaroids, Alessandra recounts the last six years of her health journey. Storm Cloud Haze culminates with her third surgery, a craniotomy, requiring sinus, eye and brain surgeons to remove the tumor and reconstruct her skull.As she shares this strange and terrifying journey, Alessandra meditates on how we think about our bodies, our fears and our lives.… (more)
Member:LisaLemelin
Title:Storm Cloud Haze: A memoir in poetry, prose and polaroids
Authors:Alessandra Wike (Author)
Info:Persimmon Moon Press (2019), 93 pages
Rating:*****

Storm Cloud Haze: A memoir in poetry, prose and polaroids by Alessandra Wike

No tags.

Real deep poetry. Great book. Very personal. ( )
  JamesCaisse | Sep 12, 2019 |
I won a complimentary copy on librarything.com to read and review.

Very personal and powerful story with pictures and poetry ( )
  LisaLemelin | Sep 11, 2019 |
Once I opened up the pages to this book, I was completely swept away by the story. Although the book consists of relatively short journal entries and poems, the impact of these pieces strung together was so powerful, it was enough to bring tears to my eyes. I could feel all of the pain with her and understand all of her emotions. She was such a master at painting her world and letting others get an inside view of her experience. I was really in awe of the author for sharing her story so vulnerably, for exposing all her emotions through this unspeakable journey and for producing this beautiful work of art in the midst of everything she's going through. That shows incredible strength and resilience and she is my hero.

Memorable points: (Forgot the exact words)

1). The part where she talks about even the curve of her pinky toe being written in her DNA. Then this thing must be too, but for what reason?
2). Also, the bit about external factors getting in the way of our well-being is understandable... but the body turning against itself seems unfair
3). The opening journal entry was so powerful already and really set the tone. I found myself diving deep into the story within the first several pages. ( )
  Syeu715 | Aug 15, 2019 |
I received this through LibraryThing. I have to say that this was a great read. I had so many feelings while reading her account of what she went through. If you don't read just look at the polaroids. I have found empathy in reading your words and a new enlightenment that God can get us through so much. ( )
  Hillgirl | Aug 7, 2019 |
I felt very connected to the author while reading this book. She allowed a glimpse into a very hard, very vulnerable point in her life and did it with grace and hope. I felt a strong sense of empathy while reading her story because I also have rare, hard to diagnose medical conditions that started in early adulthood. I know the struggle of unsympathetic doctors, being bounced from specialist to specialist and feeling like your life is on borrowed time. It was very moving, and in my case very easy to relate to. ( )
  DJLunchlady91404 | Aug 2, 2019 |

At 19 years old, Alessandra Wike learns she has a genetic abnormality: a tumor made of bone growing in the center of her sinuses. Each time it's removed, the tumor grows back bigger than before. In this collection of poetry, prose and polaroids, Alessandra recounts the last six years of her health journey.

Storm Cloud Haze culminates with her third surgery, a craniotomy, requiring sinus, eye and brain surgeons to remove the tumor and reconstruct her skull. As she shares this strange and terrifying journey, Alessandra meditates on how we think about our bodies, our fears and our lives.

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Alessandra Wike's book Storm Cloud Haze: A memoir in poetry, prose and polaroids was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Alessandra Wike is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,086,250 books! | Top bar: Always visible