No One Is Too Small to Make a Difference by…

No One Is Too Small to Make a Difference (edition 2019)

by Greta Thunberg (Author)

The history-making, ground-breaking speeches of Greta Thunberg, the young climate crisis activist who has become the voice of a generation. 'Everything needs to change. And it has to start today.' In August 2018 a fifteen-year-old Swedish girl, Greta Thunberg, decided not to go to school one day. Her actions ended up sparking a global movement for action against the climate crisis, inspiring millions of pupils to go on strike for our planet and our environment, forcing governments to listen, and earning her a Nobel Peace Prize nomination. This book brings you Greta in her own words, for the first time. Collecting her speeches that have made history across Europe, from the UN to mass street protests, No One Is Too Small to Make A Difference is a rallying cry for why we must all wake up and fight to protect the living planet, no matter how powerless we feel. Our future depends upon it.… (more)
Member:strangetrails
Title:No One Is Too Small to Make a Difference
Authors:Greta Thunberg (Author)
Info:Penguin Books (2019), 160 pages

No One Is Too Small to Make a Difference by Greta THUNBERG

This very slim volume contains eleven speeches held by Greta Thunberg between September 2018 and April 2019. There is an extended version available that contains more speeches from 2019, but this is the first version.
While I agree with most of Thunberg's positions, I am still a bit disappointed with the book. As many other reviewers have noted, the speeches are very repetitive. Most of them are so alike that it's hard to distinguish them, sometimes whole sentences and even paragraphs are copied, and the arguments made are repeated again and again.
Of course, this is because these are Thunberg's main points, and as said above, I mostly agree with them. I just don't think that this merits a book. If you watch a few of the speeches online, or even just read a few online posts, you will get the same amount of information.
On the other hand, Thunberg's message is of the uttermost importance and while the language of the speeches is very simple (and thus, after several of them, gets a bit uniform), this serves the purpose of getting that message across in a poignant way. I also learned from the book that equity is relevant to Thunberg, too, which is something I didn't know before (I thought that this aspect wasn't really cared about by the Fridays For Future activists, which had put me off a little).
All in all, this was a quick read and I absolutely don't criticize Greta Thunberg as an activist, but I still think there must be other books that teach the reader more about the topic. ( )
  MissBrangwen | May 13, 2021 |
I agree with Greta, and her direct and factual style can easily pierce one's heart, but this small collection of her speeches was published too early in her career. Read one of her speeches and you've read them all. Also, maybe it's just the librarian in me but endnotes with citations would help bolster her claims in print. ( )
  bibliothecarivs | Mar 12, 2021 |
This is a collection of Ms. Thunberg's speeches over the last couple years. Good, thoughtful stuff that we need to know and at times powerfully phrased. However, because it is made up of several speeches delivered to different groups, many of the speeches repeat what she had already said (what I already read). Watching one YouTube video of her speaking might have been just as or more rewarding. ( )
  Sarah220 | Jan 23, 2021 |
Best for:
Those who like to collect books of speeches.

In a nutshell:
Collection of Thunberg’s speeches, delivered throughout 2018 and 2019

Worth quoting:
“You can’t simply make up your own facts, just because you don’t like what you hear.”
“Every time we make a decision we should ask ourselves: how will this decision affect that [emission] curve?”

Why I chose it:
I recently subscribed to the Books That Matter box, and this was included in November’s delivery.

Review:
How does one review a collection of speeches by a child? It seems … odd to do so. Instead, I want to talk about what I read in these speeches, and the overall issue of climate change and activism. However, I will say that these speeches are nearly identical in content, and are basically understandably angry and frustrated calls to action.

Action that isn’t happening.

Thunberg talks a lot about how she does not like hearing from adults and politicians that people like her give them hope. And she’s right - it’s absurd to look to children to fix things we as adults have broken, to look for them for hope, when there are people in power nodding along to her speeches who could actually, y’know, do something. At the same time, it’s really impressive how so many younger people aren’t waiting until they’re older to speak up about the things that matter to them.

And also … I’m old enough to be Thunberg’s mother, and I don’t have any more of a clue how to fix things, nor do I find myself in a position of power. Shit, I just voted in an election where 70 million people thought it’d be cool to keep a racist bigot sexual assaulting asshole in office, and where one elderly turtle can hold up economic assistance for 350 million people. How DOES someone make a difference in these systems?

Climate change is one of those issues where on an individual level there are obviously loads of things we can do (not eat meat, not consume dairy, not take flights, etc.), but corporations continue to produce the carbon on such a massive scale. There’s obviously a need for collective action - and Thunberg’s school strike has turned into something like that - but I also think it’s hard when what some people see as the biggest emergency of our life time is competing with other emergencies that might seem more immediate to a lot of people.

Like I said. Frustrating.

Keep it / Pass to a Friend / Donate it / Toss it:
Donate it ( )
  ASKelmore | Nov 14, 2020 |
Not sure this short, somewhat repetitive book is the best way to consume her rhetoric but it doesn't stop Thunberg being an absolute badass. At its best when she's being extremely rude to her condescending elite hosts in rarified surroundings. ( )
  arewenotben | Jul 31, 2020 |
Thunberg's appeal to us now is slightly different. Her simple emotion and "black-and-white" rationalism suggest authenticity and trust to her audience, many of whom are wary of adult experts suspected of harbouring hidden agendas. [...] And as a small, isolated figure, with her pigtails and open face, poised bravely behind an enormous lectern, facing down a roomful of powerful, suited adults, she embodies what it's like to be an individual who yearns for change, against a juggernaut of commercial and political interests defending the status quo. I wonder if many of us right now, across a multitude of political persuasions, see ourselves in Thunberg, in the fragility of our political and environmental hopes, and our sense of personal impotence. As she says: "I'm too young to do this. We children shouldn't have to do this." A greater readiness to involve ourselves in collective action would go a long way towards lessening not just Thunberg's vulnerability, but our own.
added by Cynfelyn | editThe Guardian, Rachel Hewitt (May 29, 2019)

Greta THUNBERGprimary authorall editionscalculated
HELLBERG, AndersPhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

See also the Wikipedia article.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,191,267 books! | Top bar: Always visible