The Thursday Murder Club by Richard Osman

The Thursday Murder Club (edition 2021)

by Richard Osman (Author)

2,2091335,681 (3.91)223
In a peaceful retirement village, four unlikely friends meet up once a week to investigate unsolved murders. But when a brutal killing takes place on their very doorstep, the Thursday Murder Club find themselves in the middle of their first live case. Elizabeth, Joyce, Ibrahim and Ron might be pushing eighty but they still have a few tricks up their sleeves. Can our unorthodox but brilliant gang catch the killer before it's too late?… (more)
Member:pk12345
Title:The Thursday Murder Club
Authors:Richard Osman (Author)
Info:Penguin Books (2021), Edition: Reprint, 384 pages

Work Information

The Thursday Murder Club by Richard Osman

Recently added byArina8888, private library, Sarah-Kathleen, PeteMcC57, JoeB1934, BGAllisonLibrary, miranda353

English (125)  Catalan (1)  Spanish (1)  Norwegian (1)  German (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (130)
This was smart but a bit uninteresting and kind of boring at some parts. There’s too many characters which I personally don’t like. ( )
  tonimeter | May 13, 2022 |
A group of residents at Coopers Chase, a luxury retirement home in Kent, England, find that their interest in murder mysteries has involved them in a real-world adventure in this engaging, entertaining, and at times poignant debut mystery novel from Richard Osman, a celebrity British television producer and gameshow host. Mathematically-minded Ibrahim, a (semi) retired psychiatrist; kindhearted and unexpectedly resourceful Joyce, a widowed homemaker; professional activist and former union leader "Red Ron," known throughout the country for his fiery speeches; and the redoubtable Elizabeth, clearly a former spy, although the narrative draws back from explicitly saying so—these are the eponymous Thursday Murder Club. When a local builder is murdered, the club members are immediately on the case, finding a way (mostly through Elizabeth's machinations) to become friendly with the police, and unofficially aid the case. Soon a second murder has occurred, and then a third, committed many years in the past, also comes to light. Will the Thursday Murder Club be able to untangle these, and a number of other mysteries...?

Reading The Thursday Murder Club has for me reinforced the idea, already one to which I subscribe, that the moment at which one reads a book is often key, in terms of one's enjoyment and overall response. I originally picked this up many months ago, read the first eighty or so pages, and found it very enjoyable. Then, for some unknown reason, I simply didn't pick it up again until a month or two later. I don't recall there being anything about the book that caused this reaction. I was engrossed while reading, but clearly not so engrossed that I felt a pressing need to push on. In any case, I returned to the book in the early new year, starting over at the beginning, and once again enjoying myself. Illness intervened, in the form of a rather bad bout of Covid-19, and a slow recovery thereafter, and back to the library the book went again, still mostly unread. I recently checked it out again, for the third time, and just as the adage would predict, that worked like a charm! I breezed through the book in two days, this latest time, and had no trouble finishing at all.

I don't usually dwell at such great length upon my reading schedule, as it were, but given that this is a mystery, and is therefore meant (one would think) to be quite suspenseful, I think it is telling that I was able to abandon reading for long periods of time, with few pangs. On the other hand, once fully engaged, I raced through the story, and found it immensely engaging. I liked all of the characters, and found them all quite interesting, in different ways. The humor appealed to me, and some of the end-of-life situations, by which I decidedly do not mean the murders, were immensely moving. I do not read a great many mysteries, and am therefore not familiar with the characteristics of different sub-categories within the genre, but having seen this described as a "Cozy Mystery," I find myself wondering whether a greater emphasis on character-building and relationships, as opposed to crime-scene description and action, might not be one of the defining qualities of this type of suspense story. Which is not to say, of course, that the multiple mysteries here are handled poorly—far from it—just that the characters are so well drawn that their charm was paramount. However that may be, I ended up greatly enjoying this, have already requested the sequel from the library, and am happy to learn that a third is in the offing. ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Apr 26, 2022 |
The story is written in a manner such that the character rambles on about disparate and seemingly pointless information. There are a lot of characters and the interactions are complex. Tracking down the murderers is somewhat interesting but why is such a morbid topic of of interest in so many books. This genre is not of interest to me. I find it odd that people may be drawn to such a topic albeit I can see the intellectual effort applied to finding the killer. Being that this is fiction the author can twist the story to their liking and lead the reader to incorrect conclusions. The book is clever but pointless. ( )
  GlennBell | Apr 16, 2022 |
Osman, Richard. The Thursday Murder Club. Thursday Murder Club No. 1. Penguin, 2020.
It should come as no surprise that Richard Osman’s The Thursday Murder Club has a movie deal with Spielberg and Co. Author Richard Osman is a popular figure on English TV, and one can expect a cast of great semi-retired British actors. It takes The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel idea and moves it to the upscale countryside of Kent. The residents of Cooper Chase, a luxury retirement village, meet once a week to discuss cold case murders. They have surprising expertise among them, files from a former policewoman, the connections and tradecraft of a retired spy, the insights of a psychiatrist, the passion of a trade union agitator, and the observations of a former nurse who bakes cookies and misses nothing. When a local builder is murdered, the folks at Cooper Chase are on it, whether the local constables appreciate their efforts or not. The genre is cozy mystery, and the setting is quaint, but the world in which the characters operate is thoroughly contemporary. It tries valiantly to avoid clichés about sex and age, and it mostly succeeds. The plot is complex enough to make Agatha Christie fans scratch their heads and take a pill. The characters matter more than the plot, and if you like them, you will like the novel. 4 stars. ( )
  Tom-e | Apr 10, 2022 |
‘The Thursday Murder Club’ is almost exactly what I imagined it would be like. Written for by Richard Osman, who is best known for being inoffensively witty and clever on the BBC game show ‘Pointless’, it is inoffensive, witty, clever and pointless. A lot of it is very good, it’s sweet without being saccharine and often very funny. I chuckled enough reading it that my wife kept asking me what I was reading. Unfortunately, as a crime novel it’s far less successful.
The setting is good and well used. The book takes place in an up-market retirement village, Coopers Chase, in rural Kent, and focuses on four of the residents. Joyce (formerly a nurse), Ron (notorious trade unionist), Ibrahim (psychiatrist) and Elizabeth (spy), collectively form the Thursday Murder Club of the title. Meeting weekly, they pore over cold cases from the files of ex-police officer Penny, a former member of the club. When someone they know is killed, they naturally start investigating. Aided in time by two local cops, Donna (a young constable) and Chris (a middle aged detective), they gradually work through a series of interwoven mysteries.
What’s great about the book is how funny it is. The writing sparkles with wit, a mix of clever word play, amusing observations, and brilliantly handled character studies. All of the people in it believable and well written, and the way Osman plays them off against each other is often a delight, It’s no surprise that the film rights were sold quickly (to Steven Spielberg, no less and I had fun casting the movie in my head as I read the book.
As noted at the start though, as a mystery novel it’s a bit of a damp squib. Despite the body count (which grows over time), it’s far too cosy and nice to ever be gripping. That possibly wouldn’t be a problem if it didn’t feel so by the numbers. The majority of the characters have secrets which cause them to do shifty things which just happen to coincide in some way with the crimes and make them suspects. There are so many red herrings that it all starts to whiff a bit after a while. It’s like Osman is following a “how to write a whodunnit” guide he found on Buzzfeed.
Fortunately, the stuff that’s good about the book is enough to keep it entertaining and readable. The characters are lovely, it’s consistently amusing and its meditations on ageing, whilst not that original, at least ring true. Readers who aren’t as much of a crime buff as I am will probably be more forgiving than me.
  whatmeworry | Apr 9, 2022 |

To my mum, "the last surviving Brenda," with love
Killing someone is easy.
Part One: Meet New People and Try New Things

Joyce

Well, let's start with Elizabeth, shall we?
Part Two: Everyone Here Has a Story to Tell

Joyce

I tripped over a loose paving slab in Fairhaven a few weeks ago.
After a certain age, you can pretty much do whatever takes your fancy. No one tells you off, except for your doctors and your children.
"Some people love their children more than they love their partner," says Ibrahim, "and some people love their partner more than their children. And no one can ever admit to either thing."
Elizabeth can see Chris Hudson now, fresh off the plane, she guessed, running as best he can. She gives him a friendly wave and sees the relief on his face—both that she is still alive and that he can now stop running.
People love a murder, whatever they might say in public. (23)

In a peaceful retirement village, four unlikely friends meet weekly in the Jigsaw Room to discuss unsolved crimes; together they call themselves the Thursday Murder Club.

When a local developer is found dead with a mysterious photograph left next to the body, the Thursday Murder Club suddenly find themselves in the middle of their first live case.

As the bodies begin to pile up, can our unorthodox but brilliant gang catch the killer, before it's too late?
Four inquisitive,
sharp OAPs solve crimes in
Kent murder hotspot.
(passion4reading)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 169,934,857 books! | Top bar: Always visible