dismiss

Beverly, Right Here

by Kate DiCamillo

Series: Three Rancheros (3)

Revisiting once again the world of Raymie Nightingale, two-time Newbery Medalist Kate DiCamillo turns her focus to the tough-talking, inescapably tenderhearted Beverly. Beverly put her foot down on the gas. They went faster still. This was what Beverly wanted -- what she always wanted. To get away. To get away as fast as she could. To stay away. Beverly Tapinski has run away from home plenty of times, but that was when she was just a kid. By now, she figures, it's not running away. It's leaving. Determined to make it on her own, Beverly finds a job and a place to live and tries to forget about her dog, Buddy, now buried underneath the orange trees back home; her friend Raymie, whom she left without a word; and her mom, Rhonda, who has never cared about anyone but herself. Beverly doesn't want to depend on anyone, and she definitely doesn't want anyone to depend on her. But despite her best efforts, she can't help forming connections with the people around her -- and gradually, she learns to see herself through their eyes. In a touching, funny, and fearless conclusion to her sequence of novels about the beloved Three Rancheros, #1 New York Times best-selling author Kate DiCamillo tells the story of a character who will break your heart and put it back together again.… (more)

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
All three of these books have a certain dreamlike quality that keeps me calm as the kids show independence that in a different setting would end up horrific. But in these books, as in my life, most people are decent. Even the bad guys aren't mass murdering psychopaths, but venial people trying to avoid trouble or grab a quick buck. Jerome and his whiffle bat hold-up, Tom (I think that's the son's name) and his distant and unempathetic care for his mom, Mr Delos's haphazard management of the cafe. Beverly gets a hard blow, and her grieving for her dog wounds her, but the unexpected place she finds herself allows her to heal. ( )
  ejmam | Apr 1, 2020 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I was happy to get to know another of Kate DiCamillo's characters as I read this book. I had just finished Louisiana's Way Home, and loved how Raymie and Louisiana were connected to this story, but didn't dominate the story - in my opinion, you could read the books in any order and still appreciate each story on its own. Though she is unique, Beverly is relatable character for kids who are hesitant to connect because they are struggling. She and the other characters in the book show the importance of connection- and that in some circumstances, a chosen family can mean more than a biological one. ( )
  MsZReadz | Mar 31, 2020 |
After Beverly’s dog Buddy dies, she leaves home. Walking along the highway near the ocean she meets Iola, an old woman who lives in a trailer park. Iola lets her stay “until you’re ready to go back to where you belong.” Spare prose and succinct sentences that manage to reveal much about Beverly and the people she meets. Characters like Iola, Freddie and Doris come alive, each unique in their personalities. Very character-driven; even minor characters like Mrs. Deeley and the old man at the Christmas party add interest. No drawn-out descriptions needed. Dialog, actions and motivations tell us all we need to see and know. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Mar 1, 2020 |
I found it hard to connect with Beverly due to her bad attitude to people who were trying to help her. After leaving home, a 14-year-old should be thankful to have found someone to give her a place to stay, food, and a job. I did like the supporting characters. I didn't feel any compassion or gratitude from her until the last few chapters. At least she did wise up near the end. I was a little disappointed with how it did end. I was expecting to get her complete story and would have liked more to find out more about the direction she chose for herself. ( )
  JudyMcNelley | Dec 1, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
14-year-old Beverly has run away from home before, but this time she's determined to make her own way in the world. Her beloved dog Buddy has just died, and there's nothing to keep her at home with her alcoholic mother -- except, maybe, her best friend Raymie. Lying about her age, Beverly gets a job busing tables at a fish restaurant. She finds an elderly woman who offers her a place to stay, and a friend in Elmer, a boy a couple years older, who works at a nearby convenience store. But will Beverly learn to let these new people into her heart?

This story has a bittersweet feel, with the loss of Buddy running through the whole thing. DiCamillo's writing is excellent as always. If you've enjoyed the other two books in this trilogy, this one is worth your time. ( )
  foggidawn | Nov 7, 2019 |
Beverly has matured some from the 10-year-old she was in the first book, but her disposition is as sharp as ever. Her defenses are up, meaning she’s hard to like. But there’s a responsive, redeemable person under the hard shell.
added by cej1027 | editRedeemed Readiner, Janie ? (Oct 22, 2019)

Belongs to Series

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Kate DiCamillo's book Beverly, Right Here is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,990,471 books! | Top bar: Always visible