Cursed

by Thomas Wheeler, Frank Miller (Illustrator)

Look out for the original series starring Katherine Langford coming soon to Netflix! The Lady of the Lake is the true hero in this cinematic twist on the tale of King Arthur created by Thomas Wheeler and legendary artist, producer, and director Frank Miller (300, Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Sin City). Featuring 8 full-color and 30 black-and-white pieces of original artwork by Frank Miller. Whosoever wields the Sword of Power shall be the one true King. But what if the Sword has chosen a Queen? Nimue grew up an outcast. Her connection to dark magic made her something to be feared in her Druid village, and that made her desperate to leave... That is, until her entire village is slaughtered by Red Paladins, and Nimue's fate is forever altered. Charged by her dying mother to reunite an ancient sword with a legendary sorcerer, Nimue is now her people's only hope. Her mission leaves little room for revenge, but the growing power within her can think of little else. Nimue teams up with a charming mercenary named Arthur and refugee Fey Folk from across England. She wields a sword meant for the one true king, battling paladins and the armies of a corrupt king. She struggles to unite her people, avenge her family, and discover the truth about her destiny. But perhaps the one thing that can change Destiny itself is found at the edge of a blade.… (more)

I really enjoyed reading this book. It was a fun read, and the illustrations were very interesting. The characters were good, and there were quite a few moments that caught me off guard (in a good way, though). Nimue was a good protagonist, and I thought it was neat that Uther - who’d been described as a “good king” in the legends/mythology - was not so good in this story. I also like how Arthur wasn’t the center of the story, but at the same time, he didn’t have what many view as a “good profession.” However, there was just something about the book that didn’t make me go “Wow, I love this!” I’m not sure what it was, but although I didn’t love it, I still really like this story. It definitely was a good retelling. ( )
  historybookreads | Jul 26, 2021 |
I am intrigued. :D
  rjcrunden | Feb 2, 2021 |
Ok....who else gravitates to books/graphic novels that have that lovely sticker "Soon to be a Netflix Original Series'' or "Now a Major Motion picture"? I know I do!

While I hate the darn sticker on the front cover of my book (Geez....wrap them in plastic and put that darn tag on the plastic so you aren't marking up my book!!' And DON'T make it a perma-part of the cover art....I don't want an ad displayed on the front cover of a book I paid for! Mini rant over.) I come running every time I see those tags, but I follow my rule which is I have to read the book before I watch any television adaptation. Then I understand the characters and I can join in on the complaining about what they changed/left out and any huzzahs about special effects, casting, awesomeness.

I have been both wildly entertained and completely disappointed in my quest for the most awesome book/film adaptations. I often go in expecting another Haunting of Hill House but prepared to deal with an Iron Fist.....ending up happily entertained somewhere in the middle of the two extremes.

I enjoyed this book. And I'm looking forward to it coming to Netflix in 2020!

Cursed is a twist on the King Arthur legend. The Lady of the Lake gets to be more than just a silvery hand appearing holding up a sword. This tale is told her her point of view. Nimue experiences the brutality of the world at a very early age....her entire village is slaughtered and her mother dies. But that is not her fate. Her fate is intertwined with a magical sword, Merlin, and Arthur. Add in some great art by Frank Miller, and it's a very entertaining read.

I have the suspicion that this story was written for television. The tale reads like a fleshed out script. The story is a nice update to the traditional Arthur legends....all the main characters are there....doing a new version of what they usually do. It just had the feel of a film script with some bookish details and flow added, plus nice artwork. A teaser for the Netflix series.

I'm definitely on-board for more ..... and I will definitely watch the series. But....I feel this is following the current YA trend. Trends get old when they are recycled again and again and again.....and again and again. Yes, I am totally in support of strong female characters....but the theme is getting done to death over the past couple of years. I hope this revisit to Arthurian times stays fresh and creative.....and doesn't get bogged down in what will soon be The Same Old.

**I voluntarily read a review copy of this book from Simon and Schuster via NetGalley. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**
  JuliW | Nov 22, 2020 |
DNF at 41%

Cursed wasn't a terrible book, but I never felt compelled to pick it up. I kept choosing to read other books instead, which is why I wasn't able to finish this one before its release date. The characters were flat and uninteresting, and I wasn't able to connect with them or their individual stories. Merlin is a drunk. A manipulative, ridiculous drunk that didn't contribute much to the story. Arthur can't decide if he wants to be dependable or flaky, and Nimue was a very one-dimensional main character that rarely made her own decisions. She was either following the orders of others, or doing what the Hidden and the Sword of Power compelled her to do.

The story is also very violent, and actually made me feel sick to my stomach. The deaths were gruesome on their own, but when the atrocities were committed against children... infants... I can't. Especially when one of the babies is later used to convey a message from the Hidden, like some twisted reanimated zombie doll.

Additionally, I didn't care for the random illustrations peppered in throughout the story. They were odd and distracting. I normally like Frank Miller's work, but the artwork in Cursed missed the mark for me.

I thought the overall concept was unique and had the potential to be interesting, but I wasn't captivated by the story. The Fey twist on Arthurian legend was promising, but I wish they'd expanded on the different clans and variations of Fey. I also felt like there were gaps in the story when we went from one chapter to the next. It always took me a few minutes to figure out who was speaking and where they were. I think the structure of the book could have been a little smoother, but maybe it will transition better as a television series.

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Bloglovin' | Amazon | Pinterest ( )
  doyoudogear | Dec 12, 2019 |
Cursed, by Thomas Wheeler, is a retelling of King Arthur told from the POV of Nimue, The Lady of the Lake in the original tale. There has been a steady stream of retellings over the years, but I don’t recall one told from the POV of Niume. So I was intrigued and wanted to read this one and see how it stacked up. It is a unique retelling of King Arthur, which I found interesting.
Nimue is the daughter of one of the leaders of her Druid tribe. She should have an inherited status within the tribe, instead she is an outcast. She is feared because of the magic she can command and there are others that fear her and her kind also. The Red Paladins have been systematically killing and destroying homes of Fey. When they arrive at Nimue’s village to destroy it, her mother gives Nimue a sword and tells her to find Merlin and give him the sword.
When she embarks on the journey she meets Arthur, a rogue warrior, who aides her. She also discovers that the sword is very powerful and she wishes to use it to save her people who are being massacred throughout the country. When she discovers a group of Fey hiding in a cave they recognize the sword she carries. It is an old sword with old Fey magic. She is anointed the Queen and is seen as the savior of her kind. The question is will she be strong enough to be everything they need her to be.
The story had so much potential. Unfortunately, the characters were flat and didn’t fit the plot. I was so wanting a strong heroine; however, Nimue I found to be a lack luster leader. I was expecting a more Joan of Arc type character but was given a poor imitation instead. Merlin was a drunk and Arthur acted more like a hormone infused teenager. In my opinion, the minor characters were better.
The plot was good, but the execution was not the best. The POVs changed among the major characters as the story progressed and there was not always a smooth transition between them. This made the story feel kind of jerky instead and winding and flowing evenly throughout. The pace was good which helped a little to overcome some of the issues.
There is a lot of art work in this book. Since my copy is an ARC some art was not present. However, from what I did have, I can tell you the art was more suited to a graphic novel. I was expecting so much more and was greatly disappointed.
Even with the short comings I enjoyed this one; but, it will never be on any of my favorites list. My rating is 3.5 but I rounded up because I felt the story was good enough to round up and not down.
This is a middle grade book but because of the violence and other subjects it is better suited to the older middle grade reader. I recommend it to those middle grade readers who like graphic novels because this book has a graphic novel feel.
I received an ARC copy at BookExpo 2019, from the publisher, in exchange for my honest review. For more of my reviews, and author interviews, see my blog at www.thespieview.com. ( )
  purpledog | Nov 12, 2019 |

Thomas Wheelerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Miller, FrankIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,086,393 books! | Top bar: Always visible