Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

The Girl in White Gloves: A Novel of Grace…

The Girl in White Gloves: A Novel of Grace Kelly (edition 2020)

by Kerri Maher (Author)

"Some women make headlines; an icon defies them. A vivid reimagining of the exhilarating and sensationalized life of Princess Grace of Monaco from the acclaimed author of The Kennedy Debutante. Hungry for her art and hopeful for the future, young Grace Kelly has the world at her feet. MGM's rising queen is poised to win the Oscar, but she chafes at the studio's increasing restrictions on her life. When an unexpected friendship develops between her and Prince Rainier of Monaco, she faces the tempting possibility of a new role--one that offers the power and stability she craves. But life isn't like the movies. Twenty years into her crumbling marriage, Grace finds herself frustrated and disillusioned. Conflicted by notions of family, career, and the very nature of womanhood--notions Grace herself shaped for a generation of women--the world's loneliest princess searches for purpose beyond the labels and headlines. A Hollywood darling, a fairy-tale princess, and a wife starved for autonomy, Grace Kelly is a woman divided. And though she is confined by public perception and societal conventions, one thing is certain--she will never bow to them"--… (more)
Member:juliarum
Title:The Girl in White Gloves: A Novel of Grace Kelly
Authors:Kerri Maher (Author)
Info:Berkley (2020), 384 pages
Rating:***

The Girl in White Gloves by Kerri Maher

Determined to act on the stage, Grace leaves home for New York. Only able to find small rolls, she accepts jobs in the movies. Before long, she becomes a Hollywood star and is in high demand. However, when she meets Prince Rainier of Monaco, everything changes.

This book was a bit slow to start. It seemed to take forever to build any momentum. At times, the story switches points of view from the young Grace, to an older Grace. The alternating story line either needed to be left out completely, or done with more frequency. Although Grace herself is an interesting historical character, this book was a bit blah. ( )
  JanaRose1 | Oct 2, 2020 |
The Girl in White Gloves by Kerri Maher is a 2020 Berkley publication

A must read for fans of the incomparable Grace Kelly!

In my mind, Grace Kelly has always been an actress first, a princess second. I have had to remind myself that she married the Prince of Monaco, giving her the official title of ‘Princess Grace’ but, effectively ending her promising career. I’m probably in the minority on that. While I do have a small interest in royal watching- it’s not the glamour so much as it is the history that fuels my curiosity.

Having watched all her movies, multiple times, I might add, I believe Grace lived up to her name, which couldn’t have been more fitting. She was so pretty, graceful, and elegant, she already seemed like American royalty- so, I suppose it was also fitting that she ended up married to a prince. It all seemed so romantic and like a fairytale come true- but alas, perhaps it wasn’t the happily ever she had hoped for…

This book is a fictionalized account of Grace’s life, examining her complicated family dynamics, her rise to fame, her various friendships and romantic relationships, and an imagined glimpse inside her marriage to the Prince of Monaco.

The author did a magnificent job in bringing Grace’s life into sharp focus. Although this is a work of fiction, I did get a sense of what kind of person she was behind her iconic roles, her public persona, and behind the title of ‘Princess Grace of Monaco’. Her mystique and poise made her a fan favorite for both men and women alike, but her life wasn’t as charmed it appeared from the outside looking in.

Unfortunately, the men her life, especially her father and husband, often sucked the joy out of her achievements, or robbed her of reaching her full potential. So, although Americans loved the idea of Grace Kelly and the image she projected, the reality behind the fairy tale reveals a complex, conflicted woman behind the grand myth, one who longed for personal fulfillment, but suffered her disappointments silently.

The book is well -researched and organized. It is triumphant, fascinating, poignant, bittersweet, and redemptive. This is a very absorbing saga, and I learned things about Grace I did not know and wish she had been respected and honored as much in her private life as she was in her public one.

Highly recommend for fans of Grace Kelly, for royal enthusiast, and biographical historical fiction! ( )
  gpangel | Apr 30, 2020 |
I struggled a bit to get through this book, especially during the first half, but the story felt smoother towards the end as Grace Kelly finds a way to be more of herself. The movie star who married the Prince of Monaco is the focus of this somewhat biographical novel, which tells how Grace Kelly first rose to Hollywood stardom and then became the bride of Prince Rainier of Monaco. The story moves slowly at times, and the author chose to have some non-chronological elements, with the story jumping from Grace's later life in Monaco to her earlier Hollywood days. Still, I appreciated the way the author showed Grace adapting to her role as princess and finding ways to gain fulfillment despite being frustrated. Overall, a good read and one that was educational about Grace Kelly's life. ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Apr 19, 2020 |
OH how I awaited reading this book! OH how disappointed I was! Twice I said, ' I just can't do it.. '
but, I did.....I was too far in...
On the positive side, there was a lot of insight into what made Grace Kelly tick. The descriptions of Monaco made me want to twitch my nose and be there. It was a light read.
Take some facts, add some fluff and filler and VOILA!

ps- all Grace wanted was love, I don't think she ever found it. ( )
  linda.marsheells | Mar 26, 2020 |
Style, class, panache, radiance…these are just a few words to describe Grace Kelly, who was so aptly named. Kerri Maher takes us on a fictionalized account of Kelly's life, though she is so thorough, so well-researched, that is difficult at times to remember that this was not an elegant work of non-fiction. From her days as a Hollywood starlet on the brink of cinematic glory, to her illustrious life of service as the Princess of Monaco and all that a life of royalty entails – the luxurious to the stifling – Maher spins a wonderful story that allows us a window into the life of America's Princess. Any fan of American royals or the golden age of Hollywood would love this book!

Four and a half shining stars and a huge thank you to Book Browse, Kerri Maher, and Berkley Publishing for supplying me with this advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.

https://www.bookbrowse.com/reader_reviews/details/index.cfm/ref/rr45447 ( )
  TLVZ721 | Feb 25, 2020 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,483,755 books! | Top bar: Always visible