A Quest for Godliness: The Puritan Vision of…

A Quest for Godliness: The Puritan Vision of the Christian Life (original 1990; edition 2010)

by J. I. Packer

J. I. Packer has had a long-standing passion for the Puritans. Their understanding of God and His ways with man has largely formed his own spirituality and theological outlook. InA Quest for Godliness, the esteemed author ofKnowing Godand a dozen other books shares with his readers the rich world of Puritanism that has been so influential in his own life.Dr. Packer masterfully uncovers the hidden treasures of Puritan life and thought. With crystalline clarity he reveals the depth and breadth of Puritan spiritual life, contrasting it with the superficiality and deadness of modern Western Christianity.Drawing on a lifetime of study, Dr. Packer takes the reader on a survey of the lives and teachings of great Puritan leaders such as John Owen, Richard Baxter, and Jonathan Edwards. He offers a close look at such subjects as the Puritan view of the Bible, spiritual gifts, the Sabbath, worship, social action, and the family. He concludes that a main difference between the Puritans and ourselves is spiritual maturity--the Puritans had it; we don't.In a time of failing vision and decaying values, this powerful portrait of Puritans is a beacon of hope that calls us to radical commitment and action when both are desperately needed.A Quest for Godlinessis a profoundly moving and challenging exploration of Puritan life and thought in a beautifully written book. Here is J. I. Packer at his very best."In A Quest for Godliness, J. I. Packer paints a vivid portrait of Puritans--their piety, church life, and social impulse--providing a model of passionate, holy living for today's often-complacent church. Packer's characteristically lucid style and penetrating insights into Christians of old send a vibrant challenge to those of us who follow Christ in this last decade of the twentieth century. I heartily recommend this book." --Chuck Colson"Dr. Packer has blended theology, biography, history, and practical exhortation in a book that is a delight to read. But even more, the book speaks to our contemporary church situation and causes us to search our hearts and examine our ministries. Whether you are just getting acquainted with the Puritans or are a long-time friend,A Quest for Godlinesswill instruct and inspire you. Here is solid spiritual food that contributes to maturity." --Warren W. Wiersbe… (more)
Member:Kirk1810
Title:A Quest for Godliness: The Puritan Vision of the Christian Life
Authors:J. I. Packer
Info:Crossway (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 368 pages
Collections:Christian Growth / Discipleship

A Quest for Godliness: The Puritan Vision of the Christian Life by J. I. Packer (1990)

INDEX; NOTES
  saintmarysaccden | May 15, 2013 |
It's a gem, and worth reading. Especially if you are interested in Puritan Theology, and Puritan thinking. ( )
  aron124 | Feb 5, 2012 |
The Puritan Vision of the Christian life.
  kijabi1 | Jan 1, 2012 |
The Puritan Vision of the Christian Life
  crosstownbaptist | Sep 2, 2008 |
This book took me quite a while to work through because Packer is able to put so much in to what he says. You will want to read this book but plan to spend some time camping out in it. You'll be glad you did. ( )
  bethritter | May 16, 2008 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 139,623,291 books! | Top bar: Always visible