The Henna Wars by Adiba Jaigirdar

The Henna Wars (edition 2021)

by Adiba Jaigirdar (Author)

Member:chloefischer_
Title:The Henna Wars
Authors:Adiba Jaigirdar (Author)
Info:Hodder Children's Books (2021), 400 pages

Work Information

The Henna Wars by Adiba Jaigirdar

Nishat is going into Transition Year. Trying to deal with her lesbianism and family and cultural issues. She's also dealing with the changes of moving from Junior Certificate to Leaving Certificate and where she wants to be in the future. She fully knows that coming out to her parents will cause issues but she does need to do this for herself. As part of her transition year she does a project about creating a business. Flavia is back in Nishat's life, and the attraction is palpable. However Flavia is the cousin of Nishat's school rival Chyna, which adds to the tension. Nishat has a great idea about using henna art and ends up finding love and going up against racism and prejudice and a chunk of cultural appropriation.
It's an interesting look at growing up other in Ireland and having to deal with layered predujice and with life lessons. It was a good read. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Oct 21, 2021 |
This story is made for younger readers than me, but I liked it way more than most books for younger readers. Also it is so diverse without taking away from the plot of the story. Sometimes it feels like stories are trying so hard they forget to have a good plot. That didn't happen here. The setting is Ireland, but it has characters from Korea, Brazil and Bangladesh. The school where much of the story takes place is a Catholic school, but the main character is Muslim. Also the story works in the importance of respecting someone's culture in a way that adds to the storyline instead of being preachy. Nishat's family is from Southern Asia but live in Ireland. She comes out as a lesbian. It's tough for her parents to accept but they do love her. The relationship she and her sister have is a real plus also. I love how close they were. Nishat likes a girl named Flávia. Flávia's mother is from Brazil and black. Her father is from Ireland and white. Flávia's white cousin has made Nishat's school life difficult. I recommend this for middle school up to adult. It helps show ways to respect everyone's differences while also showing how alike growing up can be for everyone. ( )
  ToniFGMAMTC | Sep 10, 2021 |
audiobook, diverse teen fiction with lesbian love interest and racial aggressions (16 y.o. Bengali teen living in Ireland comes out as lesbian to her Muslim family, and deals with having a crush on a Black Brazilian classmate at her Catholic girls' school while also dealing with bullying). Free audiosync selection - summer 2021

Audio narration is perfectly fine, but this might be another one I'd do better with in print; I tended to zone out and occasionally grew a little impatient (the audiobook is over 8 hours long). But this is a thoughtful, layered story that I enjoyed with characters that I liked, and I would recommend to teens and adults, and even middlegraders/tweens (parental guidance: contains a few brief kissing scenes, no violence, no language) ( )
  reader1009 | Jul 9, 2021 |
Nishat doesn’t want to lose her family, but she also doesn’t want to hide who she is, and it only gets harder once a childhood friend walks back into her life. Flávia is beautiful and charismatic, and Nishat falls for her instantly. But when a school competition invites students to create their own businesses, both Flávia and Nishat decide to showcase their talent as henna artists. In a fight to prove who is the best, their lives become more tangled—but Nishat can’t quite get rid of her crush, especially since Flávia seems to like her back.

As the competition heats up, Nishat has a decision to make: stay in the closet for her family, or put aside her differences with Flávia and give their relationship a chance.
  Gmomaj | May 15, 2021 |
An amazing debut book which is a light read but also covers some serious important issues! ( )
  Vanessa_Menezes | Mar 17, 2021 |
“I donate my truth to you like I’m rich The truth is love ain’t got no off switch”

–Janelle Monáe, “Pynk”
to queer brown girls,
this is for you
I decide to come out to my parents at Sunny Apu's engagement party.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,442,899 books! | Top bar: Always visible