Among Whales by Roger Payne

Among Whales

by Roger Payne

You don't have to be a biologist to enjoy Among Whales. Anyone can appreciate the majesty of the whales and their enviroment. Roger Payne lets you see into their world by first explaining how you must look at whales to understand them. He uses the metaphor of Rain, to an ant, earth shaking, in the wild you seek shelter, humans are inconvienced, and whales don't even notice. I was given his book as a gift when I was still in Middle School and it opened my eyes to how vast the world is and how vastly different it is for each species. ( )
  deep220 | Jun 19, 2009 |
A terrific book, knowledgeable, informative. Particularly strong in its discussion of marine acoustics and whale vocalizations.
  land_mammal | Mar 16, 2007 |

How can we understand the language of whales? How will the evolving composition of seawater affect life on earth? Why do whales sing?

Roger Payne has listened to the whales' haunting songs for most of his adult life and taught us to listen too. He's swum with them. He's fought for them. He's studied them and become the world's foremost cetacean biologist.

Sharing his scientific observations in spellbinding detail, Payne brings vividly to life the awesome presence of these great, noble -- and desperately threatened -- creatures. A work of biology, of philosophy, and most certainly of literature, Among Whales is more than a book about whales. It is also a journey of the heart, a journey of discovery about the larger questions of life on earth.

Passionate in his love, Roger Payne is also passionate in his outrage at the whalers who slaughter whales for profit and at the pollutants that are destroying our oceans. His words shimmer with truth; his ideas strike powerfully at our consciences. Destined to become a classic, Among Whales is a book of great beauty -- a cautionary tale every one of us who cares about our planet must read.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:26 -0400)

Provides facts, lore, and insights about whales. Also explores a wide variety of subjects and disciplines about the ocean world.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,642,868 books! | Top bar: Always visible