How Should We Then Live?: The Rise and…

How Should We Then Live?: The Rise and Decline of Western Thought and… (1976)

by Francis A. Schaeffer

As one of the foremost evangelical thinkers of the twentieth century, Francis Schaeffer long pondered the fate of declining Western culture. In this brilliant book he analyzed the reasons for modern society's state of affairs and presented the only viable alternative: living by the Christian ethic, acceptance of God's revelation, and total affirmation of the Bible's morals, values, and meaning. How Should We Then Live? has become the benchmark for Christian worldview thinking today.… (more)
Member:jrdavidson
Title:How Should We Then Live?: The Rise and Decline of Western Thought and Culture
Authors:Francis A. Schaeffer
Info:Publisher Unknown

How Should We Then Live?: The Rise and Decline of Western Thought and Culture by Francis A. Schaeffer (1976)

Still relevant and more than ever. ( )
  GRLopez | May 22, 2021 |
*Sigh* Alright, here we go. This book was written in 1976 by Dr. Francis A. Schaeffer. It analyses the falling off of culture as a whole from Ancient Rome to the Modern day(c. 1976). This book was suggested as a result of me wanted to challenge my worldview, and boy did it ever do that. Luckily the Library had a copy of this book on hand.

Dr. Schaeffer was an Evangelical Christian who studied Philosophy and Theology. His main argument in this book can be boiled down to the idea that the Bible is the message of God and God is the source of all morality. Earlier civilizations failed because they did not have a basis for their morality and thoughts in God and Jesus. Even if they base it on something like the Categorical Imperative, say, it doesn't have any teeth because ultimately there is no Eternal Basis.

Ignoring a Biblical basis of morality leads to the Holocaust and Mussolini. Dr. Schaeffer makes his opinions clear enough with simple down-to-earth language and a lack of jargon. Dr. Schaeffer's views shall never be my own, and I had to deal with a bit of Cognitive Dissonance while reading this. It honestly gave me a slight headache, but I thought it was okay. All in all, I would not read the book again any time soon, but it did give me some insight into the ideas of Evangelical Christians. ( )
  Floyd3345 | Jun 15, 2019 |
During college this was one of the most influential books I read. It got me thinking about how Western Thought was on the decline and as Islamism, political correctness, attacks on the traditional canon, post-modernism and other attacks intensified the trend was even clearer as identified by this book. The thesis is even stronger than it was when first conceived.

gmicksmith | May 8, 2017 |
Theme: the development of Western thinking to what it is today; how Christianity is the only base (explanation) which can support reality (everything)
Type:
Value:
Age:
Interest:
Objectionable:
Synopsis/Noteworthy:
  keithhamblen | Jul 4, 2016 |
Must read for all students in high school. Fantastic DVD set as well. ( )
  the4otts | Oct 30, 2015 |
Information from the Chinese, traditional Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,226,060 books! | Top bar: Always visible