The Guardians: A Novel by John Grisham

The Guardians: A Novel (edition 2019)

by John Grisham (Author)

In a small Florida town, a young lawyer is shot to death. A young black man, a former client, named Quincy Miller is charged and convicted. For 22 years, Miller maintains his innocence from inside prison. Finally, Guardian Ministries takes on Miller's case, but the Episcopal minister in charge gets more than he bargained for as powerful people do not want Miller exonerated.… (more)
Member:chgstrom
Title:The Guardians: A Novel
Authors:John Grisham (Author)
Info:Doubleday (2019), 384 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Rating:*****

The Guardians: A Novel by John Grisham

The Cadaver King and the Country Dentist: A True Story of Injustice in the American South by Radley Balko (achedglin)
    achedglin: If you are interested in reading more about the real-world problem of how wrongful criminal convictions go through in the first place, 'The Cadaver King' goes into technical but still understandable detail, while providing two more wrongful conviction stories of its own.… (more)

A thrilling exploration of what can be involved in freeing a wrongfully imprisoned innocent man. All the characters including the narrator an attorney/priest who got involved helping the wrongfully. Convicted after becoming disillusioned with his law practice and having a breakdown. The story explores the back alleys and less known places of a small town. It is deeply immersed in law as would be expected with a Grisham book. ( )
  waldhaus1 | Dec 7, 2019 |
This is one of the best John Grisham books I’ve read in quite some time! It’s a strong, captivating story featuring the “good guys” versus “bad guys” dynamic that Grisham does so well.

Cullen Post works for Guardian Ministries, traveling the country fighting wrongful convictions. Guardian takes on clients forgotten by the system. Post, a lawyer and Episcopal minister, finds himself drawn to their latest client, Quincy Miller, who is serving life in prison. Quincy supposedly killed Keith Russo, a lawyer in Seabrook, Florida. He’s been in prison for over twenty years. And now Post is realizing that Quincy’s case is going to ensnare him and Guardian in a dangerous world—powerful people killed Keith Russo, and they do not want Quincy Miller exonerated.

"I have saddled myself with the burdens of innocent people rotting away in prison while rapists and murderers roam free."

This book has the legal and dramatic hallmarks of a strong Grisham novel. I was drawn to Post immediately and quickly caught up in Quincy’s case and Post and Guardian’s world. There are lots of twists and turns and surprises as Post works to free Quincy. I love the details Grisham throws in, plus the peeks into the courtroom, tidbits about examining evidence, and more. It’s a powerful read that gives you plenty to think about. Definitely worth a read! 4 stars.

Blog ~ Twitter ~ Facebook ~ Instagram ~ PaperBackSwap ~ Smashbomb ( )
  justacatandabook | Dec 4, 2019 |
John Grisham is a very talented writer, but I must admit - I've found his last few books to be 'just okay' reads. But, this latest release, The Guardians, is absolutely fantastic! It felt like a return to his roots, if you will. It's easily one of my fave reads for 2019.

I really liked the lead character - Cullen Post. He's a lawyer and a minister. He and a skeleton staff run Guardian Ministries. Their mandate is to overturn wrongful convictions, to release the innocent who have spent years behind bars for crimes they did not commit. Limited resources means they only take a few cases at a time.

Their latest case is that of Quincy Miller, who has spent over twenty years in prison for the murder of a lawyer. Their are many flaws in the case, but as Post investigates, he realizes that there are those still around who don't want this case - or Quincy - to see the light of day.

I loved the premise! It's not a new idea, but Grisham executes it so very well. A combination of investigation and legal maneuvers kept me thoroughly engrossed from start to finish. There are other smaller cases and some personal moments along the way that only added to the book.

I'd love to see more of Post and his team - I feel like there are so many more stories and cases that could be told by Guardian Ministries. On reading the author's notes at the end of the book, I learned that the plot of The Guardians is based on an actual case.

The Guardians was an excellent read and an easy five stars. ( )
  Twink | Nov 28, 2019 |
Readable, but not great. I expected a lot more from the plot, but there's not much here. (A climax is when they search an abandoned house. For some reason, the scene written out meticulously. It's an abandoned house.) Grisham goes so far out of his way to avoid big words that it is actually distracting. Several times I stopped reading, stunned by a four- or five-syllable word. "Cooperate"? Don't get too fancy, Mr. G. The ending is also anticlimactic, hardly high drama. ( )
  breic | Nov 22, 2019 |
I was disappointed in this offering by Grisham. Although the story was compelling enough, the characters were not compelling. The narrator is dedicated to freeing wrongfully imprisoned people, so you'd think he'd be a bit passionate. He is, in fact, boring. He tells the tale like he is recounting the events of a normal person's day. ( )
  DrApple | Nov 16, 2019 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 140,160,022 books! | Top bar: Always visible