The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes (A Hunger…

The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes (A Hunger Games Novel) (original 2020; edition 2020)

by Suzanne Collins (Author)

Series: The Hunger Games (Prequel)

A beautiful foiled, hardback journal to coincide with the release of the new novel The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes.
Member:Yesiks
Title:The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes (A Hunger Games Novel)
Authors:Suzanne Collins (Author)
Info:Scholastic Press (2020), 528 pages
Rating:***

Work Information

The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes by Suzanne Collins (2020)

English (88)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (91)
***Leido junto a los chicos de Lectores Argentinos***

Snow en la trilogia original es un personaje sin sabor alguno, no genera nada a quien lo conoce, inmensamente plano. Este libro aumenta su nivel como personaje dotandolo de mayor profundidad pero no tiene un buen remate ni cambio ni explicacion.

Los juegos de hambre es una saga con un mundo mal construido, simple, solo usa superficialmente la palabra distopia, de manera endeble y esta precuela debe nutrirse de aquello y se nota mucho.

Lo mejor de todos estos libros es cuando entran en combate los tributos sin excepcion. Aunque es deficiente te deja pensando que le falta de todo, si lees Battle Royale o la larga marcha te vas a dar cuenta lo que deberia ser Juegos de Hambre.
El primer libro cambia los combates por el puro cliche, no satisface. El segundo desperdicia a personajes interesantes por una pseudorevolucion. En el tercero sentis todo demasiado forzado. Y aqui el enfoque lo mejora pero terminas dandote cuenta que la autora no es buena en descripciones de combates, aunque digo a su favor que se jugo un poco mas gracias al punto de vista.

La tercer parte del libro es plana, con momentos muy malos y algun pequeño levante pero no es suficiente, el epilogo convierte a Snow en el mismo personaje plano e incipido que conocimos. ( )
  Enzokolis | Jan 17, 2022 |
This was at times slow, but it was also surprisingly literary in places. In particular, I liked Collins's use of symbolism toward the end as we watch Snow morph from the serious yet lovable protagonist to the heinous villain he must be in the original Hunger Games trilogy. I also enjoyed the ideological debate Collins framed through the discussions between Snow and Lucy Gray about which is more important: order or freedom. That conflict between the obviously "hippy" Lucy Gray and the possibly Nixon-administration-inspired "order first" of Snow was pretty intense and certainly prompts questions about fundamental human nature, the science of civilization, the issues of government overreach, and other highfalutin tidbits far beyond the scope of this little blurb of a brain dropping.

A prequel befitting the books which started it all (I refer, of course, to the YA dystopian subgenre ( )
  djlinick | Jan 15, 2022 |
not a great headspace to wallow around in for 500 pages! ( )
  austinburns | Dec 16, 2021 |
I love the Hunger Games series, and I was so excited when I heard about the new prequel. Admittedly , I had mixed feelings because inevitably the book would somehow fall short of expectations. I was pleasantly surprised for the first 3/4 of the novel. The story totally engrossed me, and I could not stop reading. The ending left me feeling disappointed, but I do not think there was any manner in which the conclusion could have been different (or rather, the outcome). ( )
  SallyElizabethMurphy | Dec 7, 2021 |
I loved The Hunger Games when it originally came out. I reread the book when Catching Fire was released the next year and then read both when Mockingjay came out. I was wary about reading The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes, especially after a few people said it didn't end; it does end. I really enjoyed the origin story of Coriolanus Snow. Now I need to re-read the trilogy:)

People want characters to have some quality that redeems him/her. If we only met Corio through other characters' eyes, we would feel he has some redeeming traits. By being inside his head, we know what he's really thinking and can determine the degree to which Corio does or does not have redeeming traits. Corio values prestige. Living through the war, being hungry, and hiding their economic decline grates on him. He "plays" for his audience at all times, always thinking what will serve him best. We meet the people he attends school with and discover that he often says what he thinks they want to hear. He hopes to pull his family up to where they belong, so he strives to succeed. This year, there are changes to the hunger games and the students will mentor/sponsor a participant. Corio gets one of the worst districts: District 12. He'll never win. It's time to make a plan.

The lady in charge of the hunger games, Dr. Gaul, has little humanity. She finds Coriolanus an interesting specimen, watching him closely, performing a few experiments to see how he behaves and/or adapts. The students receive an assignment to think of ways to make the hunger games more successful. Coriolanus excels with this thinking. Gambling and allowing people to send gifts to participants would make it more interesting. These are immediately accepted and enacted by Dr. Gaul. Thankfully, Corio ends up with a girl, Lucy Gray, who knows how to work an audience. He's got something to work with. He needs to sway the audience to get money and gifts for her.

I'll stop there. I don't believe in spoilers unless writing an analytical essay! The actual hunger games take up a small portion of the novel. After the games, we see the consequences of Corio's choices, hoping he is forced to change because of circumstances. In the end, the novel completely develops Coriolanus Snow's character and how he becomes the man he presents in the Hunger Games trilogy. If people think there are loose ends, there are none for his character, which is the point of the novel--his character. You understand why the hunger games exist as they do in the trilogy and why he makes the decisions his makes in regards to the districts and Catniss. Enjoy the journey into his unbending mind. ( )
  acargile | Dec 1, 2021 |

Suzanne Collinsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Fontana, SantinoNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Man is born free; and everywhere he is in chains." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau, The Social Contract, 1762
For Norton and Jeanne Juster
Coriolanus released the fistful of cabbage into the pot of boiling water and swore that one day it would never pass his lips again.

It is the morning of the reaping that will kick off the tenth annual Hunger Games. In the Capital, eighteen-year-old Coriolanus Snow is preparing for his one shot at glory as a mentor in the Games. The once-mighty house of Snow has fallen on hard times, its fate hanging on the slender chance that Coriolanus will be able to outcharm, outwit, and outmaneuver his fellow students to mentor the winning tribute.

The odds are against him. He's been given the humiliating assignment of mentoring the female tribute from District 12, the lowest of the low. Their fates are now completely intertwined -- every choice Coriolanus makes could lead to favor or failure, triumph or ruin. Inside the arena, it will be a fight to the death. Outside the arena, Coriolanus starts to feel for his doomed tribute... and must weigh his need to follow the rules against his desire to survive no matter what it takes.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,267,033 books! | Top bar: Always visible