Ghost Squad (2020)

by Claribel Ortega

Coco meets Stranger Things with a hint of Ghostbusters in this action-packed supernatural fantasy. For Lucely Luna, ghosts are more than just the family business. Shortly before Halloween, Lucely and her best friend, Syd, cast a spell that accidentally awakens malicious spirits, wreaking havoc throughout St. Augustine. Together, they must join forces with Syd's witch grandmother, Babette, and her tubby tabby, Chunk, to fight the haunting head-on and reverse the curse to save the town and Lucely's firefly spirits before it's too late. With the family dynamics of Coco and action-packed adventure of Ghostbusters, Claribel A. Ortega delivers both a thrillingly spooky and delightfully sweet debut novel.… (more)

As a child spooky stories were the best. I always wanted more but there were just not enough of them. This generation is so lucky. Ghost Squad is about two best friends and their cat Chunk, who have to save the town and keep the bad ghosts from killing the family ghosts. Parts of this book remind me of the Second Best haunted Hotel. Where the kid has to help save their father’s ghost related business. But that is where the comparisons stop. This was full of adventure and I enjoyed it. I felt that sometimes the story jumped around more than I liked, but I think for middle grade and elementary kids this book just works. It’s spooky without being scary, and It takes place right before Halloween, but can be read at any time of the year. ( )
  LibrarianRyan | Jun 30, 2021 |
A great scary book for kids that isn't gruesome, but relies on love and light and family. Some real laugh out loud moments and lots of action make this a great adventure of a book! ( )
  RachellErnst | Jan 5, 2021 |
I wish this book existed when I was a kid, I would have LOVED it! No worries, because I can love it now just as much!

Mysticism, a chonky cat, best friends, ancestors, bonds of family, witchy feels... Ghost Squad has everything I need in a book.

Goonies references made me smile. Chills on my arms during one of the battles! I can see this being made into a magical movie!

I listened to the audio of Ghost Squad via audible, but now I want to buy myself a hard copy too!

Looking forward to seeing what happens next in the characters’ lives... maybe a series is coming? :) ( )
  coffeefairy | Nov 21, 2020 |
"Bah! Don't believe everything your teachers recite from their history books.Everyone wants to paint a powerful woman out to be wicked. How do you think witches got their name in the first place, hmm?"

This month's selection for the #WeLoveMGLit book club was another hit. I enjoyed Ghost Squad so much. It made my heart swell and I loved all the characters, especially Syd's family members. The witchy, ghost story kept me going and the nerdy, pop culture references brought me so much joy and gave me all the nostalgic feels. Lucely and Syd's friendship was endearing and it was great to see how much they had each other's backs. Girl power was on full display throughout the story, with powerful, strong female characters being the heroes. I love how the author kept the story light and fun but there were still little gems of social commentary interspersed within the tale. This is the second story I read that referenced fireflies and their significance of being lost loved ones and I definitely want to learn more about this.

My biggest takeaway was that family isn't always blood and through friendships and community you can find just as strong a bond. My one critique would be that the beginning moved a little too quickly which made it feel the characters literally had to spring into action. Overall this is one I will be sharing with lovers of witches, ghosts and magic. This bookdragon rates this one 🔥🔥🔥🔥1/2. I can't wait for the movie.

Highlights included:

👻 Ghostbusters, Goonies, video game, 80's & other pop culture references
🦹‍♀️ Strong females as heroes
👨‍👧 Healthy single dad household
🧙🏽‍♀️ Honors alternative traditions, practices, Latinx Caribbean culture
🧟‍♀️ Honoring the dead, lost family members
🔮 Potions, magic, spirits, cats, ghosts, la chancla

TW: HP references (author is working to rectify) ( )
  Booklover217 | Oct 18, 2020 |

Claribel Ortega is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,560,016 books! | Top bar: Always visible