Loving Frank: A Novel by Nancy Horan

Loving Frank: A Novel (edition 2008)

by Nancy Horan

3,8401961,343 (3.66)226
Member:pdxgrrrl
Title:Loving Frank: A Novel
Authors:Nancy Horan
Info:Ballantine Books (2008), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 400 pages

Loving Frank: A Novel by Nancy Horan

English (190)  French (1)  German (1)  All (192)
Sad, interesting story. ( )
  mahallett | Jan 28, 2018 |
I truly enjoyed reading this book. A much different world than I am living, but through Horan's beautiful prose, I am taken there and happy to be there until the end. ( )
  CherieKephart | Aug 3, 2017 |
So many people loved this book but I never felt emotionally engaged. ( )
  dcmr | Jul 4, 2017 |
Pagetirner about a woman who decides to follow her jewrt in a time and socienty wjen it was normal to do so. ( )
  kakadoo202 | Jun 25, 2017 |
1900 - early
Frank Lloyd Wright
— Mamah Borthwich Cheney — ran off w/ him left 2 young children
Scandalous then — now?
Built house — Taliesin — prairie
house for them — also Oak Park, Ill.

I have been standing on the side of life, watching it float by. I want to swim in the river. I want to feel the current.

So writes Mamah Borthwick Cheney in her diary as she struggles to justify her clandestine love affair with Frank Lloyd Wright. Four years earlier, in 1903, Mamah and her husband, Edwin, had commissioned the renowned architect to design a new home for them. During the construction of the house, a powerful attraction developed between Mamah and Frank, and in time the lovers, each married with children, embarked on a course that would shock Chicago society and forever change their lives.
  christinejoseph | Apr 2, 2017 |
One lives but once in the world.
~Johann Wolfgang von Goeth
For Kevin
It was Edwin who wanted to build a new house.
Mamah describes Wright as someone who, "had come to mistake his gift for the whole of his character."
"The measure of a man's culture is the measure of his appreciation," he said.
"I'm like the truck of a cactus, I suppose," she told him. "I take in a dose of culture and time with friends, then I retreat and go live on it for a while until I get thirsty again. It's not good to live so much inside oneself. It's a self-imposed exile, really. It make you different."
Tell me everything. He might as well have said, "Take off your dress."
"Oh, I was just the right age then, I think. Smarter than I ever was before or since."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345495004, Paperback)

Amazon Significant Seven, August 2007: It's a rare treasure to find a historically imagined novel that is at once fully versed in the facts and unafraid of weaving those truths into a story that dares to explore the unanswered questions. Frank Lloyd Wright and Mamah Cheney's love story is--as many early reviews of Loving Frank have noted--little-known and often dismissed as scandal. In Nancy Horan's skillful hands, however, what you get is two fully realized people, entirely, irrepressibly, in love. Together, Frank and Mamah are a wholly modern portrait, and while you can easily imagine them in the here and now, it's their presence in the world of early 20th century America that shades how authentic and, ultimately, tragic their story is. Mamah's bright, earnest spirit is particularly tender in the context of her time and place, which afforded her little opportunity to realize the intellectual life for which she yearned. Loving Frank is a remarkable literary achievement, tenderly acute and even-handed in even the most heartbreaking moments, and an auspicious debut from a writer to watch. --Anne Bartholomew

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:58 -0400)

Fact and fiction blend in a historical novel that chronicles the relationship between seminal architect Frank Lloyd Wright and Mamah Cheney, from their meeting, when they were each married to another, to the clandestine affair that shocked Chicago society.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,454,525 books! | Top bar: Always visible