The Alchemyst: The Secrets of the Immortal…

The Alchemyst: The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel (original 2010; edition 2007)

by Michael Scott (Author)

While working at pleasant but mundane summer jobs in San Francisco, fifteen-year-old twins, Sophie and Josh, suddenly find themselves caught up in the deadly, centuries-old struggle between rival alchemists, Nicholas Flamel and John Dee, over the possession of an ancient and powerful book holding the secret formulas for alchemy and everlasting life.… (more)
Member:SharleneMartinMoore
Title:The Alchemyst: The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel
Authors:Michael Scott (Author)
Info:Delacorte Books for Young Readers (2007), 400 pages
Tags:to-read

The Alchemyst by Michael Scott (2010)

English (206)  Dutch (2)  German (2)  Spanish (2)  French (1)  All languages (213)
Good stuff for the Harry Potter/fantasy crowd. More like the early books, without the unecessary length and scariness that JK Rowling thought she needed to attract adults. Book jumps off to a fast start and did not slow down. ( )
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |
Despite coming highly recommended, this book didn't grab me. It may have been just been poor timing on my part, but I wasn't able to get through it in the time allotted on the Kindle loan. I definitely would have finished it though if I'd been able to extend the loan.
  jlweiss | Apr 23, 2021 |
I always assume that most YA urban fantasy series that I pick up will end up being dull and unreadable (ugh, the drivel that they seem to churn out is not what it used to be), but I was absolutely impressed with the first book in this series. The author clearly knows his stuff as he seemlessly blends different world mythologies together very believably. What got me interested in the first place was his choice to focus on alchemy by making one of his protagonists the infamous Nicholas Flamel; it's an odd choice since it isn't a very popular branch of the magic family (too science-y often), but this gives him an automatic edge over the competition for uniqueness. Looking forward to reading the rest of the series! ( )
  JaimieRiella | Feb 25, 2021 |
Fantasy, historical fantasy fiction ( )
  jalfredb | Nov 9, 2020 |
novel, fantasy ( )
  jackcrawford | Jun 1, 2020 |
The immortal Michael Scott, John Dee and the dark elders have been fighting for a long time for the most magical book ever created. The book of Abraham the mage or the codex. If john Dee and the dark elders has the book in their hands it would be chaos. Josh and Sophie Newman are the twins from the prophecy so that means that they are the saviors of the earth. Josh's aura is pure gold and Sophie's aura is pure silver. while josh and Sophie had gone to hekates shadow realm to be awakened (to use power from your auras). Sophie and josh had to be awakened so Sophie had gone first and as the ending of Sophie's awakening john Dee had started war in hekates shadow realm. hekate had created her shadow realm so her shadow realm was destroyed so she was destroyed with it. hekate had gone too protect her realm without awakening josh and through out the book josh was mad at Nicholas flamel because Sophie's senses were hurting her. After hekates shadow realm got destroyed they went to scatty's, mother the witch of Ojai. john Dee almost gets josh to go on the side with the dark elders but Sophie had convinced him not too. they had teleported to Paris through a leygate to find someone to train Sophie and hopefully awaken josh.
added by Isaiahl.b4 | editisaiah times, isaiahlb.4 (May 1, 2014)

Michael Scottprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gulik, Henny vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Claudette, of course
iamque opus exegi
I am legend.
I want you to remember that everything you know—or think you know—about myth and legend is not necessarily false, nor is it entirely true. At the heart of every legend there is a grain of truth. I suspect that much of your knowledge comes from movies and TV. Xena and Dracula have a lot to answer for. All minotaurs are not evil, the Gorgon Medusa did not turn every man to stone, not all vampires are blood drinkers, the Were clans are a proud and ancient race.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,590,479 books! | Top bar: Always visible