Black Hammer Volume 4: Age of Doom Part Two

by Jeff Lemire, Dean Ormston (Illustrator), Rich Tommaso (Illustrator)

Series: Black Hammer: Age of Doom (6-12), Black Hammer (Age of Doom 6-12)

"After learning how they got trapped on the farmworld, our heroes find themselves with everything they thought they wanted. Yet not everything is right just yet and it takes the strong resolve of the new Black Hammer to get the team back together, as shocking revelations change their world at every turn!"--… (more)

I have really loved this series even as they heap unresolved storyline atop unresolved storyline. Here we converge to what seems to be some resolution but it's too fast, too pat, little payoff, little development. ( )
  steveportigal | Dec 31, 2020 |
Pgs: 192
Dewey:
Disposition: Irving Public Library - South Campus - Irving, TX
REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

Summary:
Free of the Farm, the heroes of Spiral City have everything they've ever wanted. Or do they. And as they approach the "real" world something is coming after them. Lost in the dream of their perfect world, something is off, something is wrong. There's a tinge of darkness in all their stories. And as the new Black Hammer seeks them out to restore their memories...Something that has dogged their steps from the beginning is approaching.

Genre:
Comics
Graphic Novels
Dark Horse Comics
Superhero

Why this book:
I love the Black Hammer books. The ones focused on the main team. The ones that are about the other characters in the universe haven’t really caught on with me...yet.
The Feel:
It feels like a Black Hammer story.

Favorite Character:
I love these characters.

I do like the new characters. Inspector Insector is faux classic Silver Age homage goodness. Hellamentals...greatness. Ms. Moonbeam is awesome.

Favorite Scene:
The Colonel Weird page with the eyes and the bubbles featuring all his friends is great. The bubble with who I’m assuming is Abraham Slam crying over spilt milk is awesome.

The surviving limbo characters falling out of Lemire’s ear and the giant Lemire having his head in the clouds. Love it.

Love the hit ‘em with the hammer to jog their memory bit.

Black Hammer’s new world and her getting to see her dad.

Favorite Quote:
“You are definitely Joseph Weber’s little girl.” - Abraham Slam talking to Black Hammer II.

Favorite Concept:
Comic book limbo for unneeded characters. Sadness.

Lead into battle by a goose.

Love the art pieces in this. Great stuff.

Hmm Moments:
Anti-God is a Darkseid analogue. And Black Hammer is Thor-ish.

Weird’s crisis of conscience brought on by the team finding out what was going on doesn’t fit, but it does drive the story along. But it leads directly to the almost reincarnation of Anti-God.

Dreamcasting:
Wouldn’t Peter Fonda have been perfect as Colonel Weird?
Pacing:
I’m shocked. There were 192 pages in this and it was like melting butter. I went through it at a blazing pace. The fastest paced of the Black Hammer books that I’ve read so far.

Last Page Sound:
Nice ending. But I wish they would’ve beat Anti-God’s ass. Really don’t like where they left everyone.

Questions I’m Left With:
It isn’t really explained how the heroes being in the prime universe causes Anti-God to arise and their not being there causes him to die, become discorporeal.

Was the Man in the Moon smoking and they decided to change it, but the base art was already done? It sure looks like it could have been.

So...is it all just another pocket reality and Anti-God is chasing them through the holes in reality? Maybe.

Conclusions I’ve Drawn:
I understand it, but I hate the way the characters are left at the end of this.

Things I’d Like to See:
I’d love to see a book that goes back to the origins of the original Black Hammer character and tells us those stories.

Author Assessment:
Love Lemire’s writing. And the Black Hammer look.
_________________________________________________ ( )
  texascheeseman | Aug 5, 2020 |
I liked this but I think it got kind of dragged out. It wasn't as fun as the fist part. Also hated the art for the first 2 issues, even though I realize why they did it that way. Still loved the characters, they just didn't do a lot. ( )
  ragwaine | May 26, 2020 |

Jeff Lemireprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ormston, DeanIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Tommaso, RichIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Black Hammer (Age of Doom 6-12)
I have seen the secret structure that lies underneath everything.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,215,156 books! | Top bar: Always visible