HomeGroupsTalkExplore

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Parts One…

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Parts One and Two: The Official… (edition 2017)

by J. K. Rowling (Author)

Series: Harry Potter (8)

As an overworked employee of the Ministry of Magic, a husband, and a father, Harry Potter struggles with a past that refuses to stay where it belongs while his youngest son, Albus, finds the weight of the family legacy difficult to bear.
Member:Charlotte_16
Title:Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Parts One and Two: The Official Playscript of the Original West End Production: The Official Script Book of the Original West End Production
Authors:J. K. Rowling (Author)
Info:Arthur A. Levine Books (2017), 336 pages

Work Information

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child by J. K. Rowling

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Book 1) by J. K. Rowling (LiteraryReadaholic)
    Magic for Liars by Sarah Gailey (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: A non-magical detective investigates a murder at the magical high school where her gifted sister teaches. Smart and fascinating examination of the tropes used in HP, including the Chosen One.
    Quidditch Through the Ages by J. K. Rowling (LiteraryReadaholic)
    Short Stories from Hogwarts of Heroism, Hardship and Dangerous Hobbies by J. K. Rowling (LiteraryReadaholic)

English (514)  Spanish (3)  German (3)  French (2)  Dutch (2)  Catalan (1)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (528)
I liked it well enough. This is one time I would like to give a half-star; 4 is too many but 3 not quite enough. If Rowling herself had written the story as a short novel it would have been great. But scripts are not such easy reading, and most importantly, Rowling didn't write it.

The core of the story is good: the complicated relationship between Harry and his youngest son, Albus. Their struggle to understand each other is very touching, as is Albus' friendship with Scorpius Malfoy, son of Draco.

Good story notwithstanding, it's usually not wise to try and expand a well-loved epic that clearly has reached its natural and spectacular end. The bar on this one, you know, is set very high. ( )
  AuntieG0412 | Jan 23, 2023 |
It's Harry Potter so that makes it awesome. But novels are my preferred mode of storytelling because of their length, so it felt a bit thin because it was a play. The plot also had some holes in it. But I was entertained. I enjoyed it, and I laughed a bit. ( )
  bangerlm | Jan 18, 2023 |
I was a bit scared when I started it cause I know a lot of fans had been disappointment. Maybe because of my low expectations, I enjoyed it thoughtfully. I get how it can be disappointing, it is very different from the books, and it obviously hasn't been written by Rowling, but for me it brought the characters back to life. ( )
  enlasnubess | Jan 13, 2023 |
It's so hard to review this because it isn't a book. It also feels very thin and rushed. I never believed the Hermione Ron pairing and the Ginny Harry either so their adult relationships still felt strange. I was so glad to see snape again and I enjoyed the plot but it was all rather strange like a dream. ( )
  spiritedstardust | Dec 29, 2022 |
In the long run, after hearing much said about this book, I expected it to be much worse than it turned out to be really. I really am a fan of a good time-travel caper, with the antics and twists that only come from those, when people decide to throw their hats into the ring about it, and I'm definitely still left with the want to see the play on stage, if/when I make it to London or it makes it to America. ( )
  wanderlustlover | Dec 26, 2022 |

Ménard, Jean-FrançoisTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
[None]
To Jack Thorne
who entered my world
and did beautiful things there.
--J.K. Rowling
For Joe, Louis, Max, Sonny, and Merle...wizards all...
--John Tiffany
To Elliot
As we rehearsed, he gurgled.
--Jack Thorne
A busy and crowded station, full of people trying to go somewhere. Amongst the hustle and bustle, two large cages rattle on top of two laden trolleys.

Based on an original new story by J.K. Rowling, Jack Thorne and John Tiffany, a new play by Jack Thorne, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child is the eighth story in the Harry Potter series and the first official Harry Potter story to be presented on stage. The play will receive its world premiere in London’s West End on July 30, 2016.

It was always difficult being Harry Potter and it isn’t much easier now that he is an overworked employee of the Ministry of Magic, a husband and father of three school-age children.

While Harry grapples with a past that refuses to stay where it belongs, his youngest son Albus must struggle with the weight of a family legacy he never wanted. As past and present fuse ominously, both father and son learn the uncomfortable truth: sometimes, darkness comes from unexpected places.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,924,907 books! | Top bar: Always visible