Before the Coffee Gets Cold: A Novel (Before the Coffee Gets Cold Series, 1) (2015)

by Toshikazu Kawaguchi

Series: Before the Coffee Gets Cold (1)

Fantasy. Fiction. Literature. HTML:*OVER ONE MILLION COPIES SOLD*
*NOW AN INTERNATIONAL BESTSELLER*
If you could go back, who would you want to meet?
In a small back alley of Tokyo, there is a café that has been serving carefully brewed coffee for more than one hundred years. Local legend says that this shop offers something else besides coffee??the chance to travel back in time.
Over the course of one summer, four customers visit the café in the hopes of making that journey. But time travel isn't so simple, and there are rules that must be followed. Most important, the trip can last only as long as it takes for the coffee to get cold.
Heartwarming, wistful, mysterious and delightfully quirky, Toshikazu Kawaguchi's internationally bestselling novel explores the age-old question: What would you change if you could travel back i
… (more)

English (96)  Italian (3)  French (2)  All languages (101)
I loved Kazu.
  hannerwell | Feb 24, 2024 |
A sweet book. I don't usually go for sci-fi, but I have read a few Japanese books lately (in translation), and I was intrigued by the premise. Plus the fact that it was a short book made it worth reading. I was grateful that the author built in limits/rules of time travel, and that the rules made all the difference of what we were to learn from the experience and of course, life itself. ( )
  asendor | Feb 15, 2024 |
This book was really charming! I'm more used to the "Western" style of prose so it took me a couple of tries to get into this one, but once I did I found the characters very deep and beautifully written. I love the way their stories were tied together and even though this book doesn't sugarcoat how hard life can be, it emphasized the importance of perspective and focusing on what you CAN change over what you CAN'T, which I wholeheartedly believe in. Overall a beautiful message and I look forward to reading the rest of this series! ( )
  Spyder227 | Feb 5, 2024 |
Great reading, maybe a bit slow at times, but maintains the interest, imaginative, compelling, original imagination. ( )
  Craftybilda | Feb 4, 2024 |
Cozy, touching, addicting tales ( )
  jessiewinterspring | Jan 30, 2024 |
In four intertwined chapters, Kawaguchi invites readers to accompany four intrepid adventurers who desire a second chance at a crucial conversation in their lives.... Interwoven into what initially feels like a whimsical escape are existential conundrums of love and loss, family and freedom, life and death. “[N]o matter what difficulties people face,” Kazu muses at book’s end, “they will always have the strength to overcome them. It just takes heart. And if the chair can change someone’s heart, it clearly has its purpose.”

Before the Coffee Gets Cold, the debut novel from playwright Toshikazu Kawaguchi... inventively limits the mechanics of its time travel to the confines of a small cafe, and is all the more resonant for it.... Although the characters are unable to alter the past, the implications they bring forward into the future are real, and the experiences the characters undergo carry real weight on the narrative, which is reflected as the stories progress. While not usually one to shy away from spoilers, I think the real enjoyment of the novel comes not from the way the narratives are told, but the individual narratives in themselves. They are at times a bit sappy, and don’t go in expecting many twists – but this doesn’t take away from the emotional weight behind these moments.

In four connected tales, lovers and family members take turns sitting in the chair that allows a person to travel back in time for only as long as it takes a single cup of coffee to cool.... The characters learn, though, that even though people don’t return to a changed present, they return “with a changed heart.” Kawaguchi’s tender look at the beauty of passing things, adapted from one of his plays, makes for an affecting, deeply immersive journey into the desire to hold onto the past. This wondrous tale will move readers.
added by Lemeritus | editPublishers Weekly (Sep 4, 2020)

Toshikazu Kawaguchiprimary authorall editionscalculated
Trousselot, GeoffreyTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
If you could go back, who would you want to meet?
Do not combine with this book's sequel: Tales from the Cafe

Fantasy. Fiction. Literature. HTML:*OVER ONE MILLION COPIES SOLD*
*NOW AN INTERNATIONAL BESTSELLER*
If you could go back, who would you want to meet?

Time travel dictated by the heat of your cup of coffee

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 201,810,850 books! | Top bar: Always visible