The Princess Will Save You (Kingdoms of Sand…

The Princess Will Save You (Kingdoms of Sand and Sky Book 1) (edition 2020)

by Sarah Henning (Author)

Member:ELBrown
Title:The Princess Will Save You (Kingdoms of Sand and Sky Book 1)
Authors:Sarah Henning (Author)
Info:Tor Teen (2020), 347 pages
Collections:Your library, Read
Tags:Young Adult, Teen Romance, Royalty, Adventure, Teen Fantasy, Murder, Audio Book, Kindle Book, Audio/Kindle, Kingdoms of Sand and Sky

The Princess Will Save You by Sarah Henning

The cliffhanger!!! I really enjoyed this book!! ( )
  bookishreputation | Jul 28, 2021 |
I couldn’t not buy this book when I saw it. Amarande is such a strong female character, I was immediately in love with her. And Luca is so sweet and kind. This book was action-packed, full of twists and turns, and has complicated politics and fighting for control. I need the second book!!! ( )
  taylorkillpack | Mar 26, 2021 |
I loved the front cover of this novel - it was very eye-catching! I had read that "The Princess Will Save You" was a retelling of "The Princess Bride" but, having never read the book nor seen the movie, I came into this novel cold. For the most part I quite enjoyed the story. Although annoying, Amarande was a strong, determined protagonist but I thought Luca was underdeveloped. Even though I grew to know him the more I read, I still found him rather flat by the end. In fact, I thought he was better suited as a close friend to Amarande instead of her romantic interest and so, I never felt their romance was believable.

Full of action and an easy read, "The Princess Will Save You" was enjoyable but not enough to encourage me to read the sequel. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Oct 10, 2020 |
First of all, I must stress that this book was INSPIRED by The Princess Bride, and it is not a RETELLING. There were elements in the story that were a nod to The Princess Bride, but the story itself was very different. I noticed many reviews complaining about this. There is a difference.

Amarande, the only daughter of the recently deceased king, wants the right to rule her own country. But she must be married to do so, and her true love is the palace stableboy. Luca is then kidnapped in an attempt to force Amarande into a marriage with a neighboring prince, but Ama shocks everyone when she sets out to retrieve Luca herself.

This was a pretty meh story. It was just engaging enough that I read through the whole book, and I was curious enough at the end to want to read the next book when it comes out. But it was just “enough.” It wasn’t great. I felt the writing style was juvenile in some places and confusing in others. There were also a lot of sentence fragments that were written in a way that the thought made sense, but was still quite annoying. I found the ending somewhat predictable, but still engaging enough to spark my interest in the next book.

I really did not like Amarande. She was impatient and uncaring of others, except in regards to Luca (who was the opposite). She made this grand speech about how she should rule as queen after her father’s death and then immediately abandons her kingdom to save her not-boyfriend. Was it a noble thing to do? Sure! Was it responsible? NO. Her country came to the brink of war with three others over her hand in marriage, and she ignored it for her own selfish purposes. She even stated late in the book that she wasn’t ready for marriage, even to Luca, so I assume she was planning on proving her worthiness of the throne. Good job, Amarande, being absent from your country on the brink of war is the best way to do just that! *rolls eyes* I am hoping as the series progresses that she either does not ascend to the throne, or has some extreme character development.

Some of the things I did like were the casualness of Ama and Luca’s relationship when they were reunited. I noticed a lot of people thought it was a bland moment, but I love a simple romantic gesture, and there were no grand words exchanged. It was simple and sweet, and they just acknowledged that there had always been more than friendship between them. I also loved seeing the Princess Bride ideas scattered throughout. I could easily see what moments were inspired by the classic, and I was charmed.

Now, I don’t usually talk about politics or social issues much, but I felt that Sarah Henning’s approach to feminism was extremely poor. Every single male except Luca was either a villain, an idiot, or a sexist pig. Ama was constantly degrading the men she encountered, stating she would never trust any man (with no reason stated, other than the fact that they’re men) except Luca. And yet, two of the women she decided to trust with her life? One had been her (recent) enemy, and the other had (recently) betrayed her. Don’t get me wrong, I love strong female representation, but this simply was not it. To me, it felt like she trusted their genitals, not their brains.

Despite all this, I’m honestly curious about the next book, I really am. There were a few plot twists at the end that really had me looking forward to it. I’ll probably decide not to, and then end up reading it anyway. ( )
  JennaKate89 | Oct 8, 2020 |
Top notch adventure fantasy with great characters and lots of action. It hits the ground running when Princess Amarande's father, the warrior king dies suddenly. As a female, she cannot rule her kingdom without a husband, no matter how accomplished and strong she might be, and she's both. Eligible suitors from all the nearby kingdoms arrive like vultures, eager to feast on her kingdom's riches through marriage, but she'll have none of it. Her feelings for Luca, the royal stable boy, have been growing, along with their mutual sparring skills, for years. When an ultimatum is decreed as to who she will marry, it's reinforced by Luca's kidnapping. What follows is a mix of tracking, trekking and several hostage situations that end with a bang. That would be enough for most books to satisfy, but readers are hit with a double whammy at the end, setting up great anticipation for the sequel which I will pre-order as soon as it is announced. ( )
  sennebec | Jul 8, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,502,055 books! | Top bar: Always visible