At Bertram's Hotel by Agatha Christie

At Bertram's Hotel (original 1965; edition 2000)

by Agatha Christie

3,196633,211 (3.53)149
An old-fashioned London Hotel is not quite as reputable as it makes out... When Miss Marple comes up from the country for a holiday in London, she finds what she's looking for at Bertram's Hotel: traditional decor, impeccable service and an unmistakable atmosphere of danger behind the highly polished veneer. Yet, not even Miss Marple can foresee the violent chain of events set in motion when an eccentric guest makes his way to the airport on the wrong day...… (more)
Member:RegalKnieval
Title:At Bertram's Hotel
Authors:Agatha Christie
Info:New York, New American Library, 2000.

Work Information

At Bertram's Hotel by Agatha Christie (1965)

English (56)  Danish (2)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (63)
Slow starter. One of her more atmospheric novels.
But that ending... ( )
  OutOfTheBestBooks | Sep 24, 2021 |
"Miss Jane Marple loved to stay at Bertram's Hotel. It was as dignified, unobtrusive, and quietly elegant as Miss Marple herself -- until murder paid an unexpected visit.
~~back cover

Even though I'd just watched this on BritBox, the book itself was so much more delightful -- exactly my favorite genre: teas and breakfast in bed, and attention to detail and chintz on the wallpaper and in the bathroom. The plot was lovely as well, with a definitely appropriate denouement. Definitely a keeper! ( )
  Aspenhugger | Jul 24, 2021 |
Digital audiobook performed by Stephanie Cole.
3***

Miss Marple takes a holiday in London at the well-known Bertram’s Hotel. She always stays at this property; she enjoys the traditional décor, the attentive staff, the high tea, and people watching as the many guests flow in and out of the property. But unknown connections between various guests become apparent after an elderly, and rather forgetful, cleric goes to the airport on the wrong day.

Christie excels at creating complicated plots with many suspects and red herrings to keep the reader guessing. She has plenty of surprises in store with this one as well. I had, unfortunately for me, seen the PBS Masterpiece mystery series episode, so knew where it was heading, but I still found it fascinating to watch how Christie wove the elements together.

Stephanie Cole did a fine job of narrating the audiobook. She sets a good pace and has the skill as a voice artist to differentiate the many characters. I do like the way she interprets Miss Marple. ( )
  BookConcierge | Mar 27, 2021 |
It provided for an enjoyable afternoon! ( )
  yukon92 | Jan 26, 2021 |
An interesting idea for a story but I feel that Christie gives Miss Marple the short shift in most of the longer stories. Still, I liked that idea that she discovers a crime syndicate at her beloved Bertram's Hotel. I just wish that Miss Marple got to be the center of her own stories. It alwasy seems to be someone else that does alot of the work and she simply tells that person what she's observed. Just once I would like her to have a big scene where she tells all who the murder is. ( )
  Colleen5096 | Oct 29, 2020 |

Mäenpää, SimoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

For Harry Smith
because I appreciate the scientific way
he reads my books
In the heart of the West End, there are many quiet pockets, unknown to almost all but taxi drivers who traverse them with expert knowledge, and arrive triumphantly thereby at Park Lane, Berkeley Square or South Audley Street.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,515,567 books! | Top bar: Always visible