The Writing Life by Annie Dillard

The Writing Life (original 1989; edition 1990)

by Annie Dillard (Author)

2,200465,454 (3.89)61
With color, irony, and sensitivity, Pulitzer Prize winner Annie Dillard illuminates the dedication, absurdity, and daring that is the writer's life. As it probes and exposes, examines and analyzes, The Writing Life offers deeper insight into one of the most mysterious of professions.
Member:Katie-Bell-Moore
Title:The Writing Life
Authors:Annie Dillard (Author)
Info:HarperPerennial (1990), Edition: Reprint, 111 pages

The Writing Life by Annie Dillard (1989)

Stein on writing : a master editor of some of the most successful writers of our century shares his craft techniques and strategies by Sol Stein (mcgilh)
    mcgilh: I use this book over and over again in my writing. It is a wonderful master writing class, chapter by chapter.

I liked the writing style and language but I was hoping for more information or practical advise about becoming an author or writing books. ( )
  Douna1980 | Sep 3, 2021 |
At first this was disappointing, and then, although I'm not sure exactly how, it got better. NOT a how-to, but rather a how-it-feels to write ( )
  brianstagner | Apr 6, 2021 |
This is supposedly a New York Times Bestseller. If so, it’s the most unlikely one since Stephen Hawking’s A Brief History of Time. I found it dreadfully dull. I realize that writing, and the writing life, is not the most exciting topic, but Dillard made it worse than that: she made it boring. I’m not sure what I expected, exactly—perhaps an updated version of Dorothea Brand’s Becoming a Writer? I wouldn’t blame any would-be writer to have sworn off the idea after reading this book—and maybe that was her intention, to reduce the playing field. Pass. ( )
1 vote engelcox | Jan 8, 2021 |
The book seems to be her stream of conscious of different times of her life. Very artistic. Lots of playing with words. I found a few pieces to highlight, but I don’t feel that I learned a whole lot. ( )
  pmichaud | Dec 21, 2020 |
Annie Dillard is a treasure and this book is doubly so. ( )
  ThomasPluck | Apr 27, 2020 |

Annie Dillardprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cohen, MarcCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gilbert, TaviaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pinkham, AlbertCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
No one suspects the days to be gods. --- Emerson
For Bob
When you write, you lay out a line of words.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,184,797 books! | Top bar: Always visible