Smoke Bitten (A Mercy Thompson Novel) by…

Smoke Bitten (A Mercy Thompson Novel) (edition 2020)

by Patricia Briggs (Author)

Mercy Thompson, car mechanic and shapeshifter, faces a threat unlike any other in this thrilling entry in the #1 New York Times bestselling series. I am Mercedes Athena Thompson Hauptman. My only "superpowers" are that I turn into a thirty-five pound coyote and fix Volkswagens. But I have friends in odd places and a pack of werewolves at my back. It looks like I'm going to need them. Centuries ago, the fae dwelt in Underhill--until she locked her doors against them. They left behind their great castles and troves of magical artifacts. They abandoned their prisoners and their pets. Without the fae to mind them, those creatures who remained behind roamed freely through Underhill wreaking havoc. Only the deadliest survived. Now one of those prisoners has escaped. It can look like anyone, any creature it chooses. But if it bites you, it controls you. It lives for chaos and destruction. It can make you do anything--even kill the person you love the most. Now it is here, in the Tri-Cities. In my territory. It won't, can't, remain. Not if I have anything to say about it.… (more)
Member:PoppyM
Title:Smoke Bitten (A Mercy Thompson Novel)
Authors:Patricia Briggs (Author)
Info:Ace (2020), 352 pages

Smoke Bitten by Patricia Briggs

Yay for Mercy!

I'm always down for a new Mercy book, and this one was definitely worth the wait.

I felt so sorry for Adam and everything he was going through because of things that had happened in other books. I hated that it tore him up so much and nearly destroyed the bond between him and Mercy.

I love how strong, stubborn, and determined Mercy was. She wasn't going to let anything stop her, no matter what.
  tetisheri | Aug 15, 2020 |
Finally got this from the library! Worth the wait!

Patricia Briggs does it again. I love this series. I'm not going to spoil, but I can see the direction this is probably going, and as much as I love this series, this book did have a good ending. It probably could end here. I'd love to see books on some of the others! Of course, we don't know what's going on with Wulfe, so I suppose we'll have to buckle down and read some more of Mercy. Darn. ( )
  jpeterman | Jul 10, 2020 |

Wow. Never has a series fallen like this for me before.The Mercy Thompson series is just a lot of filler and rehashing of older story-lines and the Alpha & Omega series...woo boy just go read up on the last book, fans are still reeling from that mess.

The newest Mercy book had too much going on (fae on a rampage, lone wolves kidnapping and setting up to take over the Pack, Aurielle and Christy BS (again), Jesse and her relationship/future, people close to Mercy in danger again, Adam and Mercy's relationship (again), Bran and the Pack (I still hate Bran), Wulffe and his stalking, what Underhill is up to. I don't know, I probably forgot something.

All of this together didn't work, there were moments that cracked me up (hence the 2 stars) and then I would get back to the plodding plot and be annoyed all over again. I honestly think that Briggs should start thinking of a way to wrap up this series. She can look to how Ilona Andrews handled the end of the Kate Daniels series and how she used that series to open up another one starring our favorite terrible character, Hugh. At this point, I don't care about the Pack, I am getting annoyed with the fae, and the vampires seem to be the only ones with any kind of sense (except for Wulffe).

"Smoke Bitten" starts off with a fight. We don't know what's going on, but quickly are brought up to speed that Aurielle listened to Adam's ex-wife again, opened up Jesse's mail (WTF) and got in Mercy's face. Hey remember when Adam said if someone disrespected his wife that was it? Yeah that no longer matters cause something is wrong with Adam and Mercy's mate bond. BTW I guessed at what was wrong cause hey the last book, but it took way too long for Adam and Mercy to get there.

Oh back to Aurielle's BS. I no longer want to hear about Adam's ex, she's awful and at least everyone told Aurielle she was being stupid. I honestly wish she and Daryl would leave the Pack.

Oh that's another thing, they have lost members so now the Pack is hurting for some new wolves. Oh hello lone wolves who are trying to take the Pack from Adam. No we have not heard of you all before, but it's great that Charles just has dossiers for everyone.

Oh look, now we have Wulffe threatening Mercy and stalking her. Let's all ignore that for most of the book.

Oh a fae that is dangerous got loose from Underhill and has the power to shapeshift after biting people? Interesting. Yeah interesting. Only Mercy has the power to defeat him? How Mary Sue of her.

Honestly the whole book was like this. It just gets boring after a while. The only thing that made me roll my eyes was of course there is a fae that has a power that doesn't work on Mercy so it's up to her to save the day. I can't with this mess anymore.

The character of Mercy stays consistent I will give her that. She's dumb again about a lot of things and not so dumb on others. I really hated her whole phone conversation with Bran. Him talking like a fortune cookie on some things made me roll my eyes. Hey Bran, still a terrible character after the reveal in the last book? Yes? Okay be gone.

Adam and his issue was so ridiculous I have nothing for it. I literally went, so are they both stupid now? Just tell someone what is going on!

The Aurielle thing eh. We get a dumb reason for her disrespect of Mercy that makes zero sense and I no longer care.

Jesse and Aiden are highlights in this one, so is Warren. Marsilla too for refusing to take Mercy's call and calling Adam back. Stay petty Marsilla.

The writing and flow was all over the place in this one. The Pack is constantly rushing around dealing with lone wolves, killer fae, oh wait here's Wulffe, they are under attack, etc.

The ending was a big what the hell was that. I mean two characters serenade Mercy and I fell over laughing. I don't know you guys. I am glad I no longer auto-buy these so I am not out any money. They are definitely library reads for me for the foreseeable future. ( )
  ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |
I've had this book on my kindle since the day it came out, but I've been saving it for a day when I really needed a lift. I finally picked it up this week, and I'm so glad I did. I love the "found family" nature of the pack, whose members take care of each other no matter what. I love the inter-species conflicts that Mercy is trying so hard to bridge. I even appreciated the conflict here between Mercy and Adam. It felt real, not forced, and the way they both tried to deal with the problem felt true to the characters. I love it when authors can give me authentic feeling conflict between characters that doesn't have to end with the breaking of the relationship. ( )
  duchessjlh | Jun 29, 2020 |
This was another excellent addition to the series. Mercy is dealing with a number of problems beginning with her marriage and bond with Adam. Then there is the new door to Underhill that has appeared in their backyard. Add in a werewolf pack that wants to take over their territory and a very dangerous escapee from Underhill and Mercy has trouble coming at her from all sides.

The story was fast-paced and exciting. I liked Mercy's stubbornness and her intelligence as she mines old fairy tales to figure out how to deal with the escapee. I liked how she deals with her marriage troubles. I liked the traces of humor and think that the idea of the "stupid olympics" is going to feature in my vocabulary.

Fans of the series won't want to miss this latest episode. ( )
  kmartin802 | Jun 19, 2020 |

Patricia Briggsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lagerman, JudithCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Santos, Daniel DosCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

"Are you okay, Mercy" Tad asked me as he disconnected the wiring harness from the headlight of the 2000 Jetta we were working on.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,600,221 books! | Top bar: Always visible