Strands of Truth by Colleen Coble

Strands of Truth (edition 2019)

by Colleen Coble (Author)

"Suspense melds with romance as the past meets the present in this engrossing new novel from USA TODAY bestselling author Colleen Coble... Harper Taylor is used to being alone. Her mother passed away in a car accident when she was an infant, she never knew who her father was, and now even the widowed grandmother who raised her is gone. She's done just fine investing her marine biology degree and her energy into her pen shell business. The last thing she expects is for the DNA test she took to reveal a likely half-sister. And when she and Annabelle meet, there are striking similarities in their stories. Is it just coincidence that both their mothers died tragically without revealing Harper and Annabelle's father's name? When Harper's business partner has a stroke, his son Ridge steps in to help. Before long, he's spending more time with her than the business would dictate. and Harper finds she doesn't mind in the least. When yet another tragedy strikes close to home, though, Harper and Ridge realize that the secrets of the past can't stay there. They'll have to unravel Harper's past before they can secure their future"--… (more)
Member:librarymom6

Author: Colleen Coble
Pages: 336
Year: 2019
Publisher: Thomas Nelson
My rating: 5 out of 5 stars.
Have you read any of Colleen Coble’s books? Well, here is one you don’t want to miss! Why? The story is rich in suspense, mystery, faith, redemption and hope. The main character is named Harper Taylor, who is a 30-year-old single woman with a desire to be part of a family. She makes a decision that changes her life dramatically. Harper doesn’t really foresee any of the issues her decision and actions ultimately bring into her life. Then again, she has no idea someone is after her ruthlessly!
Harper had a mentor named Oliver who took care of her and helped her forge a future despite a very rough past. What Oliver had to deal with is the fallout of his decision to help this young woman from his two natural children, Ridge and Willow. Oliver is a wonderful man and very supportive, as readers learn of his past, they’ll see a man who tried his best regardless of the cost.
Ridge is a man who wants to break out from his father’s shadow, but will his fractured family relationships ever not press down on him daily? Wait until you read when Ridge gives Harper the benefit of the doubt regarding her motivations with his father Oliver! What a story of redemption comes forth!
Harper though is on a mission to find her father. Her mother died right after she is born. Does she have any other family? Harper is smart, adventurous and has many unanswered questions. Life takes a dangerous turn for her when she takes a DNA test and a website links her with one family member who has a very familiar history to Harper.
In her uncanny ability to weave a tale without revealing the ending until readers are there, Colleen Coble has once again written a very compelling tale! I hope fans of Coble’s books and new readers will pick this book up and get lost in the pages, because it is a story well worth reading and sharing with others!
Note: The opinions shared in this review are solely my responsibility. ( )
  lcjohnson1988 | Oct 28, 2019 |
I so wanted to love this book. The premise intrigued me. The writing style is relaxed and easy to read. And yet, nothing about the story's execution worked for me.

I'm a detail person, especially within the crime and mystery genres. Things have to make sense. And much of this book did not. First of all, we have two women at the center of break-ins and abduction attempts, and yet the police express little to no interest. There's no investigation. There is no protection. The cops just shrug their shoulders, leaving the women to fend for themselves.

Then we have events central to the plot that absolutely could not happen. I live in the area where this book is set, and I can tell you unequivocally that no one is going to waltz through the front door of a hospital at 3 a.m. and go straight up to a patient's room without being stopped. For one thing, all doors except the emergency room entrance are locked at the close of visiting hours. Secondly, all hospitals require visitors to register when they walk in the door. You can't avoid it unless you create a major diversion and sneak past. Even then, all visitors have to wear a badge, with their photo on it, and they can only be in the area designated on the badge. Someone would stop you along the way if you didn't have that badge visible. Security wouldn't even let you down the hall at 3 a.m.

Aside from these issues, there's way too much going on. We have an array of characters with in-depth backstories that are mostly irrelevant, we have a weird sort of not-really-siblings rivalry, we have a sudden romance that never feels romantic, we have a killer whose motive is thin at best, we have attempted abductions, we have mollusks and pharmaceutical research and Native American sacred ground and DNA and yearning for a child, and and and... This one book could have easily been spread out into a trilogy, and I think it would have benefited from separating and expanding upon the various threads.

Clearly I'm not the target audience for this book. So far, I'm way down in the minority with my opinion. If you're willing to suspend belief, this one might work well for you.

*I received a review copy of this book.* ( )
  Darcia | Oct 4, 2019 |
In Strands Of Truth, author Colleen Coble transports the reader to Dunedin, Florida for an intriguing Christian Fiction / Romantic Suspense story that will keep the reader guessing and turning the pages.

Marine biologist Harper Taylor is working on pen shell research with her mentor / business partner, Oliver Jackson. But growing up in the foster care system has left her longing for a family. Best friend Sara Kavanagh convinces Harper to submit a DNA test, with a result of a close family match, a half-sister named Annabelle Rice, who lives in Orlando. When Harper and Annabelle meet, they are both searching for their father, and find similarities in their mothers' pasts, especially when both mothers died tragically. As Harper and Annabelle search for the truth behind their mothers' deaths and the identity of their father, accidents and attempted kidnappings start to occur. Harper and Oliver's son Ridge Jackson investigate her and Ananabelle's past, but will they survive the danger around every corner as the strands of truth start to unravel?

Author Colleen Coble weaves a fast-paced and suspenseful tale written in the third person narrative that follows Harper and Ridge's investigative journey in search of the answers to Harper and Annabelle's pasts. When Harper and Annabelle's mothers cold-case murders intertwine with the present attacks, it will take a lot of digging and dangerous situations to find the truth.

The reader will be easily drawn into this well written story with its richly descriptive plot and setting. Strands Of Truth has enough drama, tension, action, flashbacks and clues from the past, romance, and unexpected twists and turns that will take the reader on one heck of a thrilling roller coaster ride.

Disclaimer: I received a copy of the book from the author / publisher via NetGalley in exchange for my participation and book review in a virtual book tour event hosted by Partners In Crime Virtual Book Tours.

https://jerseygirlbookreviews.blogspot.com/2019/09/strands-of-truth-by-colleen-c... ( )
  JerseyGirlBookReview | Sep 26, 2019 |
What you might want to know:
Stands of Truth is a contemporary suspense. Harper’s mother died shortly after she was born, leaving her alone in the world. When a friend encourages her to do a DNA test she is shocked to find a half sister. However from the moment she get the results of her DNA test she finds herself in danger. Ridge Jackson has always been suspicious of Harper's relationship with his father, but when he finds them in danger he realizes there may be more to Harper that he has ever thought.

What I enjoyed most:
I was hooked on this book from the first pages. Coming from a large family I can’t imagine being alone in the world, however even with a large family I was excited to get my results from my DNA test and had fun exploring some unknown connection, I am however thankful mine did not bring danger like Harper’s. I loved the little bits of history and science that were beautifully woven into the story. Coble has written a story that kept me engaged from the first page to the last.

Who will enjoy this ( just to name a few):
Fans of Suspense
Fans of Mysteries
Fans of Christian Fiction

I received a complimentary copy for this book from Celebrate Lit, this in no way influenced my review. All opinions are my own. ( )
  DonnaC83 | Sep 24, 2019 |
Her mother died at her birth, leaving no reference to her father, so Harper Taylor has lived her life alone, for the most part. When a DNA test reveals a nearby half-sister, they realize they have more in common than an unknown father—and quickly become swept up in danger of their own.

Strands of Truth is a thrilling story, definitely one of the better ones from Colleen Coble I’ve read in recent years. Family lies at the heart of all the drama—dreams and desperation, secrets and hopes—and it is oh so exciting how it all plays out. (Of course, this story isn’t without a romantic thread for Harper, and that only adds to the fun.) A delightfully twisted romantic suspense novel, Strands of Truth is sure to please fans of the genre; I recommend it.

I received a complimentary copy of this book and the opportunity to provide an honest review. I was not required to write a positive review, and all the opinions I have expressed are my own. ( )
  hes7 | Sep 16, 2019 |

Colleen Coble is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,819,767 books! | Top bar: Always visible