Star of Persia: Esther's Story by Jill…

Star of Persia: Esther's Story (edition 2020)

by Jill Eileen Smith (Author)

1611949,435 (4.32)1
"Esther is poised to save her people from annihilation. Relying on a fragile trust in a silent God, can she pit her wisdom against a vicious enemy and win?" --
Member:grammy57
Title:Star of Persia: Esther's Story
Authors:Jill Eileen Smith (Author)
Info:Revell (2020), 368 pages
Rating:*****

Star of Persia by Jill Eileen Smith

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I must admit that I tend to love all of Jill Eileen Smith's Biblical fiction books, but this one definitely did not disappoint! This novel is about the biblical story of Esther, fictionalized of course. The characters are very well-developed and multi-dimensional, and the story is as exciting as the intrigues nowadays. I love reading historical fiction, so Jill Eileen Smith's fiction always tantalizes me with new and exciting Biblical fiction. Thank you to Library Thing Early Reviewers for an ARC of the book, I thoroughly enjoyed it! ( )
  karmabodhi | Feb 9, 2020 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is an excellent read that brings the story of Esther to life. It is a work of fiction based on Esther and done in such a way that you have a better appreciation of how God used her to save His people. I had to go back and read the book of Esther after I read this book. This is a wonderful book of love, faith, and trust in God. I highly recommend this book. ( )
  debf56 | Feb 6, 2020 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Apart from the beautiful book cover, I have always been fascinated by the story of Esther from the bible. The author tells her version here in a fairytale like manner captivating the reader from the onset. The characters really come to life. Towards the end however, it takes on a feeling of being slightly rushed. As the numerous events take place the easy storytelling vibe diminishes somewhat yet, it does continue to be a good read and a wonderful version of the Esther story.

I received a copy in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  LiteraryChanteuse | Feb 4, 2020 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Smith tells the story of the biblical Esther. When King Xerxes banishes his first and favorite wife Vashti, he does not realize the jealousy which motivates his second wife Amestris. After choosing Esther as his new queen, Amestris continues to scheme to take what she considers to be her rightful place as queen.

Smith doesn't change the Bible story, but she mixes it with a lot of secular history to create realistic but flawed characters. A few sections seem somewhat repetitious and overly long, but overall this is a successful retelling of Esther's story with additional insights into the character's culture, motivations, and actions.

God may seem to be silent in Esther's life, but she and her adoptive father Mordecai learn that she became queen for "such a time as this." ( )
  milibrarian | Jan 28, 2020 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book was so good! I love Jill Eileen Smith's Biblical Fiction books. They are always well researched and written. This book was no different.
I was drawn into Esther's story right away and her life fascinated me. I don't know much about Esther so it was really neat to read this fictionalized version of her story. As always with her books, I had to go back to the Bible and read the Biblical account of Esther to compare. I always find myself reading the Biblical stories in a new light after reading their story in a fictional story. I feel like I can understand the people a little better.
I highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys Biblical Fiction. ( )
  alyssaross | Jan 23, 2020 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Jill Eileen Smith's book Star of Persia is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,367,970 books! | Top bar: Always visible