dismiss

Atonement: A Novel by Ian McEwan

Atonement: A Novel (original 2001; edition 2003)

by Ian McEwan (Author)

22,764573100 (3.93)1 / 1138
On the hottest day of the summer of 1934, thirteen-year-old Briony Tallis sees her sister Cecilia strip off her clothes and plunge into the fountain in the garden of their country house. Watching her is Robbie Turner, her childhood friend who, like Cecilia, has recently come down from Cambridge. By the end of that day, the lives of all three will have been changed for ever. Robbie and Cecilia will have crossed a boundary they had not even imagined at its start, and will have become victims of the younger girl's imagination. Briony will have witnessed mysteries, and committed a crime for which she will spend the rest of her life trying to atone.… (more)
Member:Angela.M.Otwell
Title:Atonement: A Novel
Authors:Ian McEwan (Author)
Info:Anchor Books (2003), Edition: 1st, 351 pages
Collections:Currently reading
Tags:novel

Atonement by Ian McEwan (2001)

Recently added byLauraSophie, farragutpubliclib, P1g5purt, MundM, rena75, private library, CJ_Bendy, carlc75, Maifrin, vsamotracia
Legacy LibrariesCian O hAnnrachainn
    The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood (rbtanger, browner56)
    rbtanger: I know that the Library Thing Recommendations aren't always completely spot-on, but I just want to say that if I were writing the recommend list, The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood would be top of the list. These books have so many similarities that it's hard to count them all.… (more)
    browner56: Two superbly crafted explorations of the cathartic power that comes from the act of writing.
    The English Patient by Michael Ondaatje (ecureuil, Johanna11)
    Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh (readerbabe1984)
    Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Suite Française by Irène Némirovsky (Queenofcups)
    The Go-Between by L. P. Hartley (burneyfan)
    The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton (joririchardson)
    joririchardson: Both books begin with a young girl witnessing a crime of sorts that will powerfully affect her own life and the lives of her family members. Both books also are set in England during World War II.
    The Outcast by Sadie Jones (JeaniusOak, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: These character-driven literary novels set in 20th-century England offer haunting, reflective narratives of secrets, shame and guilt. In each, children make decisions or perform actions that have unintended, tragic consequences and lasting repercussions.… (more)
    Accusation by Catherine Bush (ShelfMonkey)
    The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy (kiwiflowa, Othemts)
    The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro (sturlington)
    The Wars by Timothy Findley (mountebank)
    The Lake House by Kate Morton (kethorn23)
    Rules of Civility by Amor Towles (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Atonement, like Rules of Civility, paints a picture of events that instantly turn characters' worlds upside down. Also set in the 1930s, it highlights the lingering opulence of the age and how that can disappear amid tragedy.
    Fifth Business by Robertson Davies (librorumamans)
    librorumamans: Also a look at the consequences of a childhood crime. For me, though, Fifth Business is better crafted and a more complex examination.
    Catch-22 by Joseph Heller (rosylibrarian)
    What Katy Did by Susan Coolidge (MarieSeltenrych)
    MarieSeltenrych: A wonderful work of literary prose that I can still remember, over 50 years after reading it. It gives the reader a glimpse into a different world that inspired my imagination and even my life.
    Spies by Michael Frayn (hazzabamboo)
    The House at Riverton by Kate Morton (starfishian)
    A Map of the World by Jane Hamilton (ainsleytewce)

English (537)  Dutch (9)  Spanish (7)  French (4)  German (4)  Italian (3)  Catalan (2)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  Finnish (1)  Polish (1)  Portuguese (1)  All languages (571)
Just could not get into the book. I enjoyed the movie very much. Rarely happens where I enjoy the movie more than the book. ( )
  Crystal423 | Mar 23, 2020 |
3,5
Sono estremamente combattuta circa questo libro. L'ho iniziato, ne ho divorato un centinaio di pagine, ne ho ammirato lo stile, l'attenzione ad ogni termine, le descrizioni minuziose che ti catapultano nella storia e che ti fanno pensare di conoscere intimamente ognuno dei personaggi. Poi, ad un certo punto, l'ho interrotto. Mi è parso lento e artefatto, eccessivamente concentrato sulla ricerca stilistica più che sulla vicenda. Era un tre stelle, nessun dubbio, forse anche qualcosa meno: molto ben scritto ma certo non un libro da rileggere. Poi sono passati un paio di mesi e l'ho ripreso in mano, per ritrovarmi a non poter posare il libro e letteralmente a bocca aperta alle ultimissime righe.
Tre e mezzo, per non lasciarmi trasportare dalle emozioni del finale.
Non abbiate fretta, gustatevi ogni parola. Chiudete il libro, guardatelo con sospetto per settimane e riprendetelo dopo un po'. Vale la pena di arrivare alla fine. ( )
  silvia.amaturo | Mar 21, 2020 |
I really enjoyed it, but I kept expecting to get sucked in like the movie, and that didn't happen. Both followed most of the same plot, I just didn't feel as much emotion from the book. ( )
1 vote Linyarai | Feb 16, 2020 |
So many words, so little said. ( )
1 vote tiasreads | Dec 11, 2019 |
I have heard good things about this book and really wanted to like it. Three chapters in, I gave up. It simply did not hold my interest. It is no longer in my collection. I set it free via Book Crossing. ( )
2 vote BonnieLymer | Dec 6, 2019 |
McEwan is technically at the height of his powers, and can do more or less anything he likes with the novel form. He shows this fact off in the first section of Atonement, in which he does one of the hardest things a good writer can do: engrossingly, sustainedly, and convincingly impersonate a bad one.
added by jburlinson | editNew York Review of Books, John Lanchester (pay site) (Apr 11, 2002)

McEwan is crafty. Even as he shows us the damages of story-telling, he demonstrates its beguilements on every page. Atonement is full of timeworn literary contrivances--an English country house, lovers from different classes, an intercepted letter--rendered with the delicately crafted understanding of E.M. Forster.
added by Shortride | editTime, Richard Lacayo (Mar 25, 2002)

If it's plot, suspense and a Bergsonian sensitivity to the intricacies of individual consciousnesses you want, then McEwan is your man and ''Atonement'' your novel. It is his most complete and compassionate work to date.

Ian McEwan's remarkable new novel ''Atonement'' is a love story, a war story and a story about the destructive powers of the imagination. It is also a novel that takes all of the author's perennial themes -- dealing with the hazards of innocence, the hold of time past over time present and the intrusion of evil into ordinary lives -- and orchestrates them into a symphonic work that is every bit as affecting as it is gripping. It is, in short, a tour de force.

Ian McEwan’s new novel, which strikes me as easily his finest, has a frame that is properly hinged and jointed and apt for the conduct of the ‘march of action’, which James described as ‘the only thing that really, for me at least, will produire L’OEUVRE’.

Ian McEwanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Basso, SusannaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Boyd, CaroleNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tanner, JillReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Verhoef, RienTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zulaika, JaimeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has the adaptation

"Dear Miss Morland, consider the dreadful nature of the suspicions you have entertained. What have you been judging from? Remember the country and the age in which we live. Remember that we are English: that we are Christians. Consult your own understanding, your own sense of the probable, your own observation of what is passing around you. Does our education prepare us for such atrocities? Do our laws connive at them? Could they be perpetrated without being known in a country like this, where social and literary intercourse is on such a footing, where every man is surrounded by a neighbourhood of voluntary spies, and where roads and newspapers lay everything open? Dearest Miss Morland, what ideas have you been admitting?"
    They had reached the end of the gallery; and with tears of shame she ran off to her own room.
Jane Austen, Northanger Abbey
To Annalena
The play – for which Briony had designed posters, programs and tickets, constructed the sales booth out of a folding screen tipped on its side, and lined the collection box in red crepe paper – was written by her in a two-day tempest of composition, causing her to miss a breakfast and a lunch.
Novels and movies, being relentlessly modern, propel you forwards or backwards through time, through days, years or even generations. But to do its noticing and judging, poetry balances itself on the pinprick of the moment. Slowing down, stopping yourself completely, to read and understand a poem is like trying to acquire an old-fashioned skill like drystone walling or trout tickling.
How much growing up do you need to do?
It wasn’t only wickedness and scheming that made people unhappy, it was confusion and misunderstanding; above all, it was the failure to grasp the simple truth that other people are as real as you.
A person is, among all else, a material thing, easily torn and not easily mended.
Find you, love you, marry you, and live without shame.

Briony’s tale begins with her restless and excited preparations for a play she had proudly written for her visiting older brother. The young girl's childish anxieties induce a light and amusing atmosphere for the story’s first few scenes. But soon enough, a series of baffling events takes place before Briony’s eyes and sets of her wildly-imaginative mind to believe a new story of her own creation. Coerced by her own impetuous sense of duty, she soon commits a “crime” that forever changes the lives of people around her, as well as her own. This highly-praised novel from Ian McEwan is no more of a love story than it is a contemplative essay on the rapturous highs and atrocious lows of our frail human existence.

5 1978

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 143,807,848 books! | Top bar: Always visible