Atonement by Ian McEwan

Atonement (original 2001; edition 2003)

by Ian McEwan (Author)

24,068590107 (3.93)1 / 1151
On the hottest day of the summer of 1934, thirteen-year-old Briony Tallis sees her sister Cecilia strip off her clothes and plunge into the fountain in the garden of their country house. Watching her is Robbie Turner, her childhood friend who, like Cecilia, has recently come down from Cambridge. By the end of that day, the lives of all three will have been changed for ever. Robbie and Cecilia will have crossed a boundary they had not even imagined at its start, and will have become victims of the younger girl's imagination. Briony will have witnessed mysteries, and committed a crime for which she will spend the rest of her life trying to atone.… (more)
Member:strangetrails
Title:Atonement
Authors:Ian McEwan (Author)
Info:Anchor Books (2003), Edition: Later Printing

Atonement by Ian McEwan (2001)

The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood (rbtanger, browner56)
    rbtanger: I know that the Library Thing Recommendations aren't always completely spot-on, but I just want to say that if I were writing the recommend list, The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood would be top of the list. These books have so many similarities that it's hard to count them all.… (more)
    browner56: Two superbly crafted explorations of the cathartic power that comes from the act of writing.
    The English Patient by Michael Ondaatje (ecureuil, Johanna11)
    Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh (readerbabe1984)
    Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Suite Française by Irène Némirovsky (Queenofcups)
    The Go-Between by L. P. Hartley (burneyfan)
    The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton (joririchardson)
    joririchardson: Both books begin with a young girl witnessing a crime of sorts that will powerfully affect her own life and the lives of her family members. Both books also are set in England during World War II.
    The Outcast by Sadie Jones (JeaniusOak, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: These character-driven literary novels set in 20th-century England offer haunting, reflective narratives of secrets, shame and guilt. In each, children make decisions or perform actions that have unintended, tragic consequences and lasting repercussions.… (more)
    The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro (sturlington)
    The Wars by Timothy Findley (mountebank)
    A Doll's House by Henrik Ibsen (lucy.depalma)
    Accusation by Catherine Bush (ShelfMonkey)
    The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy (kiwiflowa, Othemts)
    Fifth Business by Robertson Davies (librorumamans)
    librorumamans: Also a look at the consequences of a childhood crime. For me, though, Fifth Business is better crafted and a more complex examination.
    The Lake House by Kate Morton (kethorn23)
    Catch-22 by Joseph Heller (rosylibrarian)
    No Time for Romance by Lucilla Andrews (Anonymous user)
    Rules of Civility by Amor Towles (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Atonement, like Rules of Civility, paints a picture of events that instantly turn characters' worlds upside down. Also set in the 1930s, it highlights the lingering opulence of the age and how that can disappear amid tragedy.
    What Katy Did by Susan Coolidge (MarieSeltenrych)
    MarieSeltenrych: A wonderful work of literary prose that I can still remember, over 50 years after reading it. It gives the reader a glimpse into a different world that inspired my imagination and even my life.
    Spies by Michael Frayn (hazzabamboo)

Teens (6)

English (551)  Dutch (9)  Spanish (7)  German (5)  French (4)  Italian (4)  Catalan (2)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  Finnish (1)  Polish (1)  Portuguese (1)  All languages (587)
More a 3.5...his earlier stuff out weighs this book...maybe if I had have started here and worked backwards it would have had a different effect. But still a superior novel. ( )
  jaydenmccomiskie | Sep 27, 2021 |
Ever since I saw the 2008 movie adaptation of this novel, I knew I had to read it. And I'm glad I did because both the movie and the book are exceptional. I don't know why I love this book so much.
Atonement is a story about misunderstandings and lies that lead to a catastrophe in the lives of Robbie, Cecilia and Briony, the main characters. If it weren't for the great imagination of Briony their lives would have been very different.
Essentially, this is a book about forgiveness and how it consumed Briony's life.
"Joined by love, separated by fear, redeemed by hope." ( )
  _Marcia_94_ | Sep 21, 2021 |
This book was rather like a boulder rolling down a hill. It was large and cumbersome and difficult to move at first. But once it got going, it built up such speed and momentum that I was swept right along to the overwhelming conclusion.

I read The New Republic review by James Wood at Powell's (http://www.powells.com/review/2002_03_21.htm). It used the dreaded word "postmodern." And it was indeed postmodern in its self-awareness and analysis of itself as fiction.

Nevertheless, it has a very old-fashioned, almost Victorian style. I couldn't help but think of Alice in Wonderland in the beginning, when the point of view was that of thirteen-year-old Briony. It tells a good old-fashioned story as well, and the description of the retreat to Dunkirk during World War II was both edifying and harrowing.

But the ending I found quite stunning, calling into question as it did what came before. We are made to reexamine and question that very description of Dunkirk and particularly what would, in a "premodern" novel, have been the end of the narrative.

But this is no dry exercise in literary theory. It tells a compelling and emotional human story, and it makes us see that those postmodern deconstructionist techniques can serve a good purpose other than the merely intellectual.

Charon07 | Jul 16, 2021 |
I had a hard time with this book - it just didn't grab me. I wanted to root for the characters but they just didn't do it for me. I especially felt the middle section dragged. Just not my type of story I guess. ( )
  tinkerbellkk | May 24, 2021 |
Movie was better. ( )
  Rachel_Cucinella | Apr 24, 2021 |
McEwan is technically at the height of his powers, and can do more or less anything he likes with the novel form. He shows this fact off in the first section of Atonement, in which he does one of the hardest things a good writer can do: engrossingly, sustainedly, and convincingly impersonate a bad one.
added by jburlinson | editNew York Review of Books, John Lanchester (pay site) (Apr 11, 2002)

McEwan is crafty. Even as he shows us the damages of story-telling, he demonstrates its beguilements on every page. Atonement is full of timeworn literary contrivances--an English country house, lovers from different classes, an intercepted letter--rendered with the delicately crafted understanding of E.M. Forster.
added by Shortride | editTime, Richard Lacayo (Mar 25, 2002)

If it's plot, suspense and a Bergsonian sensitivity to the intricacies of individual consciousnesses you want, then McEwan is your man and ''Atonement'' your novel. It is his most complete and compassionate work to date.

Ian McEwan's remarkable new novel ''Atonement'' is a love story, a war story and a story about the destructive powers of the imagination. It is also a novel that takes all of the author's perennial themes -- dealing with the hazards of innocence, the hold of time past over time present and the intrusion of evil into ordinary lives -- and orchestrates them into a symphonic work that is every bit as affecting as it is gripping. It is, in short, a tour de force.

Ian McEwan’s new novel, which strikes me as easily his finest, has a frame that is properly hinged and jointed and apt for the conduct of the ‘march of action’, which James described as ‘the only thing that really, for me at least, will produire L’OEUVRE’.

Ian McEwanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Tanner, JillNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Válková, MarieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Verhoef, RienTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zulaika, JaimeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Dear Miss Morland, consider the dreadful nature of the suspicions you have entertained. What have you been judging from? Remember the country and the age in which we live. Remember that we are English: that we are Christians. Consult your own understanding, your own sense of the probable, your own observation of what is passing around you. Does our education prepare us for such atrocities? Do our laws connive at them? Could they be perpetrated without being known in a country like this, where social and literary intercourse is on such a footing, where every man is surrounded by a neighbourhood of voluntary spies, and where roads and newspapers lay everything open? Dearest Miss Morland, what ideas have you been admitting?"
    They had reached the end of the gallery; and with tears of shame she ran off to her own room.
Jane Austen, Northanger Abbey
To Annalena
The play – for which Briony had designed posters, programs and tickets, constructed the sales booth out of a folding screen tipped on its side, and lined the collection box in red crepe paper – was written by her in a two-day tempest of composition, causing her to miss a breakfast and a lunch.
Novels and movies, being relentlessly modern, propel you forwards or backwards through time, through days, years or even generations. But to do its noticing and judging, poetry balances itself on the pinprick of the moment. Slowing down, stopping yourself completely, to read and understand a poem is like trying to acquire an old-fashioned skill like drystone walling or trout tickling.
How much growing up do you need to do?
It wasn’t only wickedness and scheming that made people unhappy, it was confusion and misunderstanding; above all, it was the failure to grasp the simple truth that other people are as real as you.
A person is, among all else, a material thing, easily torn and not easily mended.
Find you, love you, marry you, and live without shame.

Briony’s tale begins with her restless and excited preparations for a play she had proudly written for her visiting older brother. The young girl's childish anxieties induce a light and amusing atmosphere for the story’s first few scenes. But soon enough, a series of baffling events takes place before Briony’s eyes and sets of her wildly-imaginative mind to believe a new story of her own creation. Coerced by her own impetuous sense of duty, she soon commits a “crime” that forever changes the lives of people around her, as well as her own. This highly-praised novel from Ian McEwan is no more of a love story than it is a contemplative essay on the rapturous highs and atrocious lows of our frail human existence.

5 2056

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,111,012 books! | Top bar: Always visible