Buried to the Brim (2020)

by Jenn McKinlay

Series: A Hat Shop Mystery (6)

Fiction. Literature. Mystery. New York Times bestselling author Jenn McKinlay's beloved Hat Shop duo Scarlett Parker and Vivian Tremont return to don their sleuthing caps and solve a murder that's death in show. London's most refined canines and their humans are gearing up for the Pets and Wellness Society's annual dog show-and Betty Wentworth, favorite aunt to Scarlett's fiance Harrison and proud owner of corgi front-runner Freddy, knows that this could be their year with the right edge. Never one to turn away a corgi in need, Scarlett convinces her milliner cousin, Vivian, to design matching hats for dream team Betty and Freddy as they compete for Best in Show. It's a tail wagging good time until the dog-food sponsor of the event is found dead and Betty is the prime suspect. Vivian and Scarlett agree to enter the competition in Betty's place and help Harrison catch the real killer before Betty is collared for a crime she didn't commit.… (more)

This was on the sale shelf at the library. I haven't read other books in the series. For the most part, it can be read as a stand-alone (though I suspect you will understand more had you read the series in order). The one point of confusion I had was when a character spoke to Ginger and there wasn't anyone by that name who'd been introduced to us readers in this book. It took me a bit to realize that it was Scarlett's nickname.

The dog connection was fun--hats for dogs with a matching hat for the human; a dog show that's not so strict as Westminster--I liked that any dog could enter this contest with a chance to win. The agility contest sounds like fun and I wish we'd learned more about that--is there just one set pattern? The courses on TV look so confusing with crossovers etc. and I just thought that the handlers got a chance to walk the pattern prior to the competition to know where to go next, but in this one, Scarlett has to go first and doesn't appear to have a chance to see or learn the course before the run. Freddy just knows where to go.

Unlike some cozy mysteries, I do think there were a few clues in this one that pointed to whodunit. ( )
  JenniferRobb | Feb 10, 2024 |
Another great book in the series. Love all the characters. ( )
  nlb1050 | Feb 17, 2023 |
With the Pets and Wellness Society’s annual dog show coming up, Vivian Tremont, co-owner of Mim’s Whims, finds herself making matching hats for Harry’s favorite Aunt Betty and her darling corgi, Freddy. Although Freddy hasn’t yet won the coveted crystal bowl at the dog show, Aunt Betty is hopeful that this is finally his year.

It doesn’t take long for things to get out of hand when Aunt Betty accuses the show’s major sponsor of poisoning dogs with his company’s inferior dog food and shortly thereafter finds herself tossed out of the competition. Scarlett Parker, Harrison’s fiancé, steps up to walk Freddy through his paces in the dog show.

But as they finish their first event, Freddy brings Scarlett a shoe . . . from the body of a dead man. And it isn’t long before Aunt Betty is the prime suspect in the murder of the dog food sponsor.

Will Scarlett and Viv find the true murderer before the police jail Aunt Betty for the crime? And who will win the dog show competition?

Sixth in the Hat Shop Mystery series, “Buried to the Brim” offers readers believable, well-drawn characters, an interesting mystery with some unexpected surprises, and strong relationships. There’s a delightful running gag about puns, the dogs are all adorable, and readers new to the series will find sufficient backstory to make them feel right at home.

The unfolding narrative moves along at a quick pace, keeping the suspense building as readers learn more about the people involved in the dog show competition. This charming cozy mystery, filled with irresistibly cute puppies and spectacular hats, is sure to bring a smile to every reader’s face.

Along with the story, readers will find an excerpt from Jenn McKinlay’s “Paris is Always a Good Idea” included here.

Highly recommended. ( )
  jfe16 | Sep 12, 2020 |
Happily engaged to Harrison Wentworth, Scarlett Parker is more than happy to help his Aunt Betty and her corgi Freddy enter and hopefully win the Pets and Wellness Society’s Annual Dog Show – Freddy has been runner-up for the past several years and Betty is determined that this year Freddy will win. But when someone is murdered at the dog show, the police investigating the case seem to wonder just how far Betty would go to win. Now Scarlett, her cousin Vivian, and Harrison are determined to clear Betty’s name and collar the real killer.

“Buried to the Brim” is the delightfully done sixth book in Jenn McKinlay’s Hat Shop cozy mystery series. This book is the very definition of cozy – it is cute, filled with great characters, with a wonderful sense of humor – I chuckled while reading much of this book. I love Scarlett, Vivian, Harrison, and the rest of the crew as characters – even if they do tease Scarlett about her puns. The London Hat Shop is a wonderful setting – I love reading about the various hat designs. The dog show is also a nice setting – and I love the idea of dogs wearing hats! The mystery itself is well done with plenty of suspects – I have to say I was completely surprised at the solution to the murder – well done by McKinlay.

“Buried to the Brim” is a nicely done cozy mystery. ( )
  drebbles | Mar 5, 2020 |
I was simply heartbroken when the London Hat Shop Mystery series came to an end and then equally full of delight when I learned that there would be another story for the beloved characters of this series. My pre-ordered copy couldn't come fast enough and the appreciation began in reading Jenn McKinlay's dedication...

"This book is for every reader who asked me to write another Hat Shop Mystery. Your devotion to the series inspired me to write just one more...for now."

Without a doubt I was one of the many readers and the London Hat Shop Mystery series remains my favorite cozy mystery series.

After following each step of Scarlett Parker and Harrison Wentworth's first meeting to friendship to romance it was exhilarating to read of Scarlett admiring her sparkling diamond ring as she was gazing out the window of Mim's Hat Shop. As Scarlett's assistance is also engaged to help Harry's dear Aunt Betty and her corgi Freddy it was easy to guess that Scarlett was about to discover another body even in the midst of an all important dog show.

One of my favorite delights of the series is to read the newest puns shared by Scarlett, cousin Vivian Tremont fondly called Viv, Fee, oftentimes Harry, and even sometimes neighbors Nick Carroll (dentist) and Andre Eisel (photographer). No one is impressed by Scarlett's puns but I think the contributions of all are hysterical and one of the many highlights of reading this series.

As with many cozy mysteries series each book can be read as a stand-alone but I would give the highest recommendation to read this series in order so that you can truly enjoy each step not only of Scarlett and Harry's relationship but for all of the characters. As Scarlett arrives in London (from the US) none of their lives is ever the same and it's simply wonderful to keep pace with Scarlett's reactions and interactions with everyone. ( )
  FerneMysteryReader | Feb 10, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

This book is for every reader who asked me to write another Hat Shop Mystery. Your devotion to the series inspired me to write just one more . . . for now.
If I held my left hand just so, I could see the diamonds catch and scatter the light, even the dreary February light in London, into a million tiny rainbows.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 206,132,648 books! | Top bar: Always visible